Author Topic: Lathe Restoration  (Read 1187 times)

Offline Brodie Gibson

Lathe Restoration
« on: February 16, 2020, 02:59:34 PM »
Hello,

I have recently got an old lathe and shall be restoring it. I am new to machining and have little experience, so I will most likely need some guidance.

I have started by stripping most of the paint from the parts.
Going from this

To this

However, now I have not the faintest idea of how to progress. I don’t know the model of lathe as I believe it has been home made from lots of different parts. I have tried to disassemble the headstock but cant work out how to do it, if someone could tell me what model it is so I can find instructions, that would be helpful, it has the following marking on it

If someone could advise me on my next steps, that would be useful.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
Re: Lathe Restoration
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 04:31:58 PM »
imo knowing the model isn't likely to do much good.  I can't recall every seeing a manual that explains how to take things apart.  Even finding a manual for an old uncommon lathe is going to be close to impossible. 

My stock advice is, if you're not reconditioning it (scraping to correct for wear so the thing is actually better afterward) is clean and use it is the best approach. 

If you do want to disassemble, and there is merit in doing so insofar as the cleaning function goes, you have study things until it becomes apparent how it goes together.   This is a brains over brawn thing, although sometimes is frustrating as it can be a challenge to differentiate between stuck parts and ooops, broke it, guess that wasn't how it comes apart.  There's a downside and risk to disassembly and a shine doesn't improve performance....so there's also merit to pumping lots of clean oil through it and putting it to use.

On disassembly, there are some common approaches one gleans over the years, and it looks it has bearing caps which makes for a easy spindle shaft removal.   However its hard enough to tell not being there, so good photos, high res, clear and from lots of angles are really helpful to give good suggestions.

One thing I would strongly suggest, is photograph every step.  Its all too common to get things apart and discover you need buy/make something, time rolls on and you go to reassembly 3 months later and curse yourself for not creating the photo record.

PS....how does the spindle assembly register and align to the bed?  The horse is out of the barn, so hopefully its an easy one.....but without a V way and the suggestion it may be homemade...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 06:11:14 PM by Mcgyver »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal