Author Topic: Fitting ER16 Collet Chuck to Cowells Lathe  (Read 1813 times)

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
Re: Fitting ER16 Collet Chuck to Cowells Lathe
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2020, 02:43:59 AM »
I purchased my Cowells lathe a couple of years ago and it is very nice.  I purchased the DA200 collet attachment from Cowells at the same time.  I decided to try and purchase the collets myself and ran into a real runout problem with a set from a commercial supplier (not eBay).  I sent them all back.  The holder itself was dead nuts on.  After communicating with Colin he told me the specs for his attachment were from Ericson.  I purchased some original (not new ones from India I think) and they worked fine, I now have a nice set with runnouts in .0005 or less range.   I mentioned to Colin back then about an ER 16, not sure at this point I would change.

As for the question about the WW set from Sherline.  I have a full set of ww and or 8mm collets and use them in the Sherline lathe,  they work very well, just do not go much more than - .002" or you will ruin them.  I was told I could go -.004 but have not had the occasion to need that.  In hind sight a ME Cowells with the 8mm / WW spindle would have fit my work better.  The DA system works just fine.

Bob

Bob,

Thanks for the info on the WW collet set from Sherline. I've been attracted to them for a long time.....................after all............... they're shiny and come in a nice wooden box!  :cartwheel:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2020, 10:23:32 AM »
I can only find one supplier of a M14x1 direct fitting ER16 collet chuck and that is RC-Machines in Germany.

RC Machines were the supplier of the ER32 collet chucks I mentioned above.  :-X :-X

AS
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Online Twizseven

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2020, 03:31:52 PM »
Allen,

Thanks for that hint.  Think will wait for Cowells version.

Colin

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal