Author Topic: Wanted Part built Westbury 15cc Seal engine  (Read 2914 times)

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
Re: Wanted Part built Westbury 15cc Seal engine
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2020, 07:34:55 PM »
Mike.

I look forward to the build....I think I have a set of those castings somewhere so will pay attention!

Just interested to see if the kiln can melt some metal and if it could be used with printed patterns.

I'm really keen on SLA print to investment casting which I think creates new possibilities.  The right print resin becomes the "wax" master;  Its taken over in jewelry making.  The resolution of the SLA print is so high, and with investment casting complications are so easily dealt with (no cores etc). 

The same can be done with printable wax ina filament print, but the detail of SLA is compelling.  The material shrinking probably makes it impractical, but from a resolution standpoint, its holds fine details so well you could cast in the threads.   

I have everything but the SLA printer....the fancy ones are still kind of expensive but I'm almost there, I need to let the updated version of "Reason" run a few trillion more computations.....
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 07:38:41 PM by Mcgyver »

Offline gadabout

« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2020, 08:36:21 PM »
Most of the "features" will be milled away from the end of the castings as they are well over length, I worked from the centre of the casting out so that the dipstick hole was centred in the boss and the stick ended up in the right place down where in the crankcase where it needs to clear the crank.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2020, 03:30:54 AM »
Mike,
I have to say this sounds like an interesting project, including the Bren carrier bit.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2020, 11:56:46 AM »
Hello Art,

This will be a slow burning thread. The Hemingway Seal castings will be available in about six weeks and the Bren Carrier kit by the end of Summer. That sort of suits my timescales as there are a few projects I want to finish and park before I commit to the Bren Carrier.

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal