Engines > From Kits/Castings

P&W Wasp Jr. in 1/6th scale

(1/10) > >>

Mike R:

This is the start of me tracking my build of a P&W Wasp Jr. in 1/6th scale, from drawings by Bob Roach and castings from Bruce Satra.  I started this about 11 years ago when I acquired the drawings and the castings, and about 9 years ago I got a tiny start on building but realized that my skills in the shop were not up to par yet so it sat for a long time.  In the mean time I've played with a few other small projects and dabbled here and there on how to cut the fins on the cylinders.  That was a real challenge for me but I recently figured it out, which has prompted me to post my progress.
So here is the status to date.

* Cylinders are nearly done, need to have bolt pattern drilled for fixing to crankcase, and a pair of flats added to the large flange. 
* 8 connecting rods done (earliest parts made - not perfect but probably good enough for bits that will be hidden.)
* Crankcase done (but may yet get remade).  Has a few discrepancies I may want to address, second (or is it the third one) will go faster.
* intermediate crank support - by far the nicest part I've made to date - from a fit AND finish perspective.I'm posting this here but as my progress has been so slow that glaciers outpace me don't get too hung up waiting on the next chapter.  Work interferes still far too much.

Attached are a few pics of the current status, one of the cylinders and the connecting rods after I made them.

Mike

Jo:
8) You are moving along nicely Mike

I have a few sets of castings that are maturing while I wait for my skills to improve sufficiently that I feel confident to do them  ;)

Jo

Jasonb:
Lot of work there, this may spur you on. The engine built by Ron Harris that was at the recent London MEX

Vixen:
Nice work Mike  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

It's always good to see someone else embarking on another 'round engine'.

Keep the occasional report coming our way.

Mike  :popcorn: :popcorn:

Mike R:

Thanks all.

Jo,
I also have other castings waiting their turn (Wright J6 1/4 scale) as well as a locomotive (LMS Duchess 3 1/2" gauge).  Going to keep working on the supporting bits carved from solid until I'm comfortable tackling the castings...

Mike,

Your work on the Bristol Mercury is inspiring, keep it coming! 

Jason,
No need to torture me with that sort of photo to spur me on.  I'm motivated but lacking time due to the need to eat (i.e. work). :atcomputer: :killcomputer:   Simple math says I need to work 10 more years but I'm aiming for less.  The shop does provide a nice break occasionally but rarely in doses large enough to make real progress, hence the slow pace. Maybe once the kids are adults I'll have slightly more free time.

Mike

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version