Author Topic: Recent recruit  (Read 2047 times)

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
Re: Recent recruit
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2020, 03:10:13 PM »
Graham, I found the engine in my library in Newnes Marine Engineering Data Sheets. I do not have the matching text. It also included the single-acting version of this engine which is similar only missing the bottom exhaust piston.

On the double-acting version are both top and bottom exhaust pistons moving together and driven by the eccentric rods?

Pulling the main piston looks like it was quite a job.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Recent recruit
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2020, 03:13:24 PM »
Fascinating looking design, though I cant figure out how it works...   :headscratch:

Hi Chris, page 2 off my above linked PDF may be will give you a better idea about the function of these 3 pistons, playing with each other.
Excellent document, though I got worried when it said that the two figures were self explanatory, thats usually a sign that they are not!

If I follow it correctly, the center main piston  is connected to the crankshaft and moves the most, with combustion happening on both ends while the two exhaust pistons at either end move together a small distance to open and close the ports? Quite clever, I have not studied the internals of a double acting IC engine before.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal