Author Topic: Cowells accessories  (Read 4332 times)

Offline Dell

Cowells accessories
« on: January 29, 2020, 08:25:25 PM »
Hi all

Although I have the old 14X1.5 shaft in my Cowells ME I have been very fortunate in finding most of the accessories I need IE 3 jaw chuck, Jacob drill chuck, live centre, dead centre, Collett holder, and today I won a 4 jaw chuck on Ebay all genuine.
Could anyone please tell me can I use non genuine collets or do I have to use Cowell collets.
Thanks Dell
Old man but still learning

Online Twizseven

Re: Cowells accessories
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 10:06:58 PM »
Unfortunately the Cowell's collet holder for the M14x1.5 spindle uses Cowell's proprietary collets.

I must admit I am just in the process of upgrading my spindle to the M14x1 version.  Several reasons.  1) can standardise across several machines that can use M14x1, 2) can replace the Cowells collets chuck with a ER16 chuck and gain a bit more versatility, and hopefully better grip of material in the chuck.

Both my 3 and 4 jaw chucks have removable backplates which I can replace with new ones threaded for the M14x1.

I am just waiting for delivery of the M14x1 spindle.

Colin

Offline Dell

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 06:04:31 PM »
Hi Twizseven
Yes I looked at changing to the 14X1.0 they quoted me £129 + the dreaded. Ut as I found most of what I wanted I thought I would stick with it for now, the only thing I am short is some collets, will have to keep my eyes open.
I also am not very happy about Cowells 10 day turn around, I can’t see it takes that long to pack and post.
Dell
Old man but still learning

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2020, 06:41:17 PM »
I also am not very happy about Cowells 10 day turn around, I can’t see it takes that long to pack and post.

Colin Childs who single handily owns and runs Cowells is getting on these days. I suspect you will find that he only goes to the Post office once a week as he is dedicated to turning out his quality personally hand assembled and finished machines.

If you want fast turn round/off the shelf items the Chinese can supply those but you may be disappointed with what you receive.

I can recommend the Cowells collet chuck for the 14 by 1 spindle that uses the DA200 collets they are excellent and available in the states for about $80 for a full set of 1/64th collets  :-X

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2020, 10:47:50 PM »
J0,

thanks for that.  Interesting insight; I had no idea it was a one man band and they're still made in the UK

Online Twizseven

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 05:49:45 PM »
Finished off three out of four new chuck back-plates for Cowells ME90 lathe, Have just upgraded spindle to later M14x1. threaded nose. Purchased a few of the Arceuro 62mm backplates and shrunk them down to the requisite size. Cocked up the one for the 3 jaw chuck due to a config error on the DRO, so shrunk it down lots, put a sleeve on it and fitted a modified M12 backplate to it. Switched to ER16 collets rather than the Cowells original, the backplate for the 4 jaw chuck worked out okay. Just waiting for one more to remake for the 3 jaw chuck.

Can now move all chucks between Cowells ME90 lathe, Cowells Mill, BCA jig borer, Aciera F12 and Myford S7.

Now have a surplus M14x1.5 collet chuck with metric and imperial collets and couple of M14x1.5 backplates

Colin

Offline henry

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2022, 07:59:19 PM »
Finished off three out of four new chuck back-plates for Cowells ME90 lathe, Have just upgraded spindle to later M14x1. threaded nose. Purchased a few of the Arceuro 62mm backplates and shrunk them down to the requisite size. Cocked up the one for the 3 jaw chuck due to a config error on the DRO, so shrunk it down lots, put a sleeve on it and fitted a modified M12 backplate to it. Switched to ER16 collets rather than the Cowells original, the backplate for the 4 jaw chuck worked out okay. Just waiting for one more to remake for the 3 jaw chuck.

Can now move all chucks between Cowells ME90 lathe, Cowells Mill, BCA jig borer, Aciera F12 and Myford S7.

Now have a surplus M14x1.5 collet chuck with metric and imperial collets and couple of M14x1.5 backplates

Colin

Apologies if I'm resurrecting an old thread here. Mods please remove this if it's in breach of forum rules.

I'm new to the forum and have recently bought an older cowells with M14x1.5 spindle. I'm trying to figure out how to add a few more chucks to my setup. (Currently I have a decent 4 jaw and a quite worn 3 jaw with a little too much runout and some worn teeth).

Colin I was wondering if you still have the M14x1.5 parts you mentioned?

Greetings from Ireland, Henry

Online Twizseven

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2022, 07:52:38 PM »
Henry,

Unfortunately no.  I sold the M15x1.5 bits on.
There is a guy called Howard at a company called Triona Ltd who has a website www.myford-lathes.com.  He sells spares for a number of small lathes and carries a selection of used Cowells parts.  He can be contacted on 01225 812155 or 07753 610420.  I have had various bits from him which have all been excellent quality.

I opted to change to a new M14x1 spindle as this gives lot more flexibility on supply of chucks.  Many of the usual supplies will have  M14x1 parts.  I bought the new spindle direct from Cowells Machine Tools.  Not particularly cheap but I thought it worthwhile.

Best of luck looking for bits.  Have fun with the lathe.

Colin

Offline henry

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2022, 08:12:15 PM »
Henry,

Unfortunately no.  I sold the M15x1.5 bits on.
There is a guy called Howard at a company called Triona Ltd who has a website www.myford-lathes.com.  He sells spares for a number of small lathes and carries a selection of used Cowells parts.  He can be contacted on 01225 812155 or 07753 610420.  I have had various bits from him which have all been excellent quality.

I opted to change to a new M14x1 spindle as this gives lot more flexibility on supply of chucks.  Many of the usual supplies will have  M14x1 parts.  I bought the new spindle direct from Cowells Machine Tools.  Not particularly cheap but I thought it worthwhile.

Best of luck looking for bits.  Have fun with the lathe.

Colin

Ah ok I see, I'll have a look at that one so. Might end up going with the upgrade 14x1 also and get a Sherline chuck. Thanks for the tips  :ThumbsUp:

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2022, 07:41:52 AM »
The cheapest way to move forward with the older pitch Cowells nose thread is to buy yourself a M14 by 1.5mm tap set and knock up a batch of back plates and adapters for any other things you want to mount on the nose  :) .

Jo

Offline henry

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2022, 11:20:46 AM »
The cheapest way to move forward with the older pitch Cowells nose thread is to buy yourself a M14 by 1.5mm tap set and knock up a batch of back plates and adapters for any other things you want to mount on the nose  :) .

Jo

Thanks Jo, I have that tap size already as it turns out but no access to a larger lathe so I was thinking about drilling &  tapping a backplate blank (like the 80mm available from chronos) with a pillar drill and then boring, facing and cutting the register on the cowells. Would there be any 3 jaw you'd recommend for mounting a backplate on the older cowells? Cheers, Henry

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2022, 12:40:04 PM »
It depends on how rich you feel  ::) You don't want to go over 65mm for a chuck on a Cowells.

The Bison key operated chucks as fitted to the later Cowells are very nice. The Sherline Chucks are good.

I purchased a Chinese Sanou KO1-63 for Shoey (Schaublin 70)  expecting the chuck to have short life but as Shoey is a collet chuck I do not expect to need to use a chuck on her, so this is just a back up. I also attempted to buy a 4 jaw SC Sanou to be supplied something  :censored: made in India which is only suitable for a door stop.

The Cowells original 3 jaw were similar to the one for the Emco. IF, IF, If you can get a good one these are ok. There is one currently on Fleabay at a price which will rapidly increase  :ShakeHead: The seller also has a backplate that no one has bid on :-X

Jo

Offline henry

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2022, 05:34:15 PM »
It depends on how rich you feel  ::) You don't want to go over 65mm for a chuck on a Cowells.

The Bison key operated chucks as fitted to the later Cowells are very nice. The Sherline Chucks are good.

I purchased a Chinese Sanou KO1-63 for Shoey (Schaublin 70)  expecting the chuck to have short life but as Shoey is a collet chuck I do not expect to need to use a chuck on her, so this is just a back up. I also attempted to buy a 4 jaw SC Sanou to be supplied something  :censored: made in India which is only suitable for a door stop.

The Cowells original 3 jaw were similar to the one for the Emco. IF, IF, If you can get a good one these are ok. There is one currently on Fleabay at a price which will rapidly increase  :ShakeHead: The seller also has a backplate that no one has bid on :-X

Jo

Thanks for the information Jo very useful! I missed out on that backplate unfortunately in the last few seconds  :( so I'm going to have to try and make one.

I couldn't find a Sherline 3 jaw with a register style mount, am I right in thinking that I could only go the Sherline route if I had a new M14 x 1 spindle? 

Current idea is to pick up an ER25 collet chuck from arceurotrade, mount that via backplate and I might delay sorting out the 3 jaw for the moment. I did come across the TOS 65mm 3 jaw that must be decent quality but also a price to match. I was thinking if I went for that I could also mount this via backplate to the m14x1.5 spindle too, do you think the overhang would be an issue - (Chuck thickness is 34mm + backplate thickness)?

That Schaublin sounds great by the way, do many come up for sale in the UK?

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2022, 06:03:38 PM »
Sherlines have an imperialist thread mount so you need to make an adapter.  While you are making one make a M14 by 1mm adapter as well. ( :thinking:

Check the depth on the TOS chucks - more depth = more overhang = more strain on the headstock bearings. Other chucks are shorter... I like TOS chucks  :)

ER collet chucks were designed for tool holding not holding work, they are especially bad at holding work than is shorter than the second taper. I use mine to hold tools not work...

I would start by making some back plates... I need to make Shoey some more backplates   :facepalm2:

Jo

P.S. Good Schaublin 70's are always available at the right price  :paranoia:

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2022, 06:26:02 PM »
Sherlines have an imperialist thread mount so you need to make an adapter.  While you are making one make a M14 by 1mm adapter as well. ( :thinking:

They do M12x1 and M14x1 in the 2.5" chucks so better to go with M14x1 and then you only need the one adaptor

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal