Author Topic: sherline, cnc, and masso  (Read 8619 times)

Offline kvom

Re: sherline, cnc, and masso
« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2020, 06:48:54 PM »
My last two builds I have Solidworks models for all of the parts plus assemblies of the engine.  Preparing the stock is often done on the manual mill or lathe.

Since Zee is going with CamBam, he'll need to generate a DXF file for each set of operations.  CB has some basic CAD functions,  but with a SW model I just position the part view and do a save-as to DXF.I then load the DXF file into CB and perform basic cleanup:

1) Combine separate line segments that need to be milled as one into a single polyline

2) Delete any drawing items that aren't needed

3) Align the drawing with the X and Y axes according to how I want to set the part zero.

If the part requires ops on addition sides, a separate DXF for each orientation must be generated.

CB provides the following basic operations:

1) Profile; either closed or open polylines

2) Pocket; interior of closed polyline

3) Engrave; tool center follows polyline in 3 dimensions

4) Drill; both canned procedure and milling

There is also a 3D profile operation which is used on a  surface imported with a STL file.

Some other ops have been added via user written plugins, including thread milling, trochoidal pocketing and profiling.

Although my control is Path Pilot, I don't use the conversational control as I usually simulate my gcode file on my desktop.  I also play with the feeds and speeds on the desktop using GWizard.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2020, 06:54:35 PM »
Jason, Gerrit, and Hugh...............thank you very much for the thorough explanation. That helps a lot of things fall in place and confirms my suspicion that CNC, although it can certainly do the job, isn't always the most efficient way of doing a simple operation. However, for the my  example simple operation, I can see where the introduction of "Conversational Programming" would really narrow the gap between manual and CNC machining. The example of milling the Steam Chest and slots using CNC does make sense to me. Then of course more complex operations that are hard or impossible to do manually would be a no brainer.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2020, 12:42:07 PM »
I really appreciate all the interest and comments.

Shoulder surgery went well. Arm in sling and fully numb so typing one-handed.

Attached is picture of Spinster showing some parts that 'require' CNC (at least by me).
The finials and legs.

I mentioned in another thread some ideas I got from Jason and Achim that I want to incorporate.

Some components for shop came in. I hope the power supply will be robust enough.
48V 12.5A. Motors (not in yet) are NEMA23, 282oz/in, 3A per phase.
4 motors on the mill.

Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2020, 01:48:52 PM »
Great news on the surgery! Hoping for fast recovery. All the best!
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline DICKEYBIRD

« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2020, 02:25:34 PM »
Great news Zee; hopefully it was a relatively minor procedure.  Recovery from shoulder surgery can be very slow & painful.

The recovery period is a great time to learn CamBam & Mach.  Both are easily downloadable & are fully functioning programs to use while you decide if you want to buy them (you will.)  There are many great tutorials available to watch on YT of course.  Gotta keep learning & expanding the mind!
"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2020, 02:51:38 PM »
I really appreciate all the interest and comments.

Attached is picture of Spinster showing some parts that 'require' CNC (at least by me).
The finials and legs.

I mentioned in another thread some ideas I got from Jason and Achim that I want to incorporate.

Some components for shop came in. I hope the power supply will be robust enough.
48V 12.5A. Motors (not in yet) are NEMA23, 282oz/in, 3A per phase.
4 motors on the mill.

I hope you have started the physical therapy of that shoulder immediately? Frozen shoulder joints are not much fun.
Mosey(Still kicking)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #81 on: January 28, 2020, 03:18:43 PM »

Good, hurry up and get it well you will need it to help you make some swarf  ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #82 on: January 28, 2020, 03:44:43 PM »
Looks like plenty of parts there to make use of the new machines and an ideal time to get all the CAM work done while you recover from the op.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #83 on: January 28, 2020, 09:32:43 PM »
Thanks everyone for the well wishes. Exercises start today. Won't know if full Physical Therapy is needed until my follow up next week.

Back to the project...I think I'm looking at a small bummer.

It looks like CamBam takes DXF files.

[[EDIT] as well as many other files including STL. I may be okay. Time for a lot of reading.]

My CAD program is CubifyDesign and it appears it only outputs a proprietary file (AD_PRT) or an STL file. At least I haven't found a DXF option.

It looks like I'll have to jump into Fusion360 which is going to be big learning process. I'd tried it once but it works differently from CubifyDesign so I expect I'll get mixed up quite a bit.

Some questions:
Are you all using a free version of CamBam or the licensed version?
Does anyone know if CamBam is tied to a computer? That is, can I download and install on two machines?

Mach3 (I believe) is tied to the computer which isn't a real problem for me since I'll have a dedicated computer for motion control.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 09:59:53 PM by zeeprogrammer »
"To work. To work."

Offline DICKEYBIRD

« Reply #84 on: January 28, 2020, 11:44:58 PM »
Thanks everyone for the well wishes. Exercises start today. Won't know if full Physical Therapy is needed until my follow up next week.
Are you all using a free version of CamBam or the licensed version?
Does anyone know if CamBam is tied to a computer? That is, can I download and install on two machines?
Great news on the shoulder!

I have the free trial CamBam on a total of 5 computers spread out at home,  at work and my laptop.  It works on all 5 with no problems.  It works for 40 sessions & then you're expected topay.  The paid for version is exactly the same as the free one (as far as I can tell.)  I paid for Mach3 and it works on as many PC's as you want.  Mach4 (I'm pretty sure) is assigned to one PC at a time.

edited to add:: https://support.3dsystems.com/s/article/Can-I-import-existing-files-into-Cubify-Design-to-modify?language=en_US
"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #85 on: January 28, 2020, 11:52:34 PM »
Thanks Dickeybird.

I'm thinking my first real (after learning/training) project will be a bowling pin on the lathe.
I did a sketch and also printed it on my 3D printer.

My steps:

Used CubifyDesign to create and save a bowling pin in imperial dimensions.

Note: My 3D printer requires designs to be laid out in the XY Plane in metric dimensions. I drew a 2D half-sketch of the bowling pin in the ZX Plane so when rotated about the Z axis the 3D bowling pin would be sitting on the XY Plane. The sketch was a 15 point spline, 2 circles and 2 lines. There’s a hole in the bottom of the pin.

Exported and saved as STL file (in imperial). This is for CNC.
Modified CubifyDesign Properties to metric.
Exported and saved as STL file (in metric). This is for the 3D printer.
3D printed (just to see). 58+ minute print time.

Attached are some images:

The 1st is the sketch.
The 2nd shows the Cura screen for my 3D printer.
The 3rd shows a printed bowling pin in black.
The 4th shows a bowling pin in white half-way printed. You can see the internal honeycomb.
The 5th is the completed white bowling ball.

Currently reading up on CamBam. This project will take a while.

When I start the thread that speaks to my (mis)adventure, I'll copy this information over.
"To work. To work."

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2020, 12:10:15 AM »
Good way to have some fun while healing up. Going to need more pins, the a pin setting machine, and a long hallway for the shop elves to play with them...

Offline kvom

« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2020, 12:40:40 AM »
I have an old version of Cubify that I was using before getting SW.  In order to get DXF output, you need to export a sketch to a drawing.  Then it can be converted to DXF.

https://www.alibreforum.com/forum/index.php?threads/export-sketch-to-dxf.19716/

Another useable but less precise method is to load the STL file and use CB's edit/silhouette function.  You'll get a collection of polylines that show the outline at different depths.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 01:10:55 AM by kvom »

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #88 on: January 29, 2020, 01:17:03 AM »
I have an old version of Cubify that I was using before getting SW.  In order to get DXF output, you need to export a sketch to a drawing.  Then it can be converted to DXF.

Got it. Thanks!
"To work. To work."

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #89 on: January 29, 2020, 11:40:51 PM »
Started playing with CamBam.

I'm in a room with several hundred switches and dozens of knobs...all labelled in some language I don't know...and the lights are off.
I've been here before.
I wonder how deep this pool is.

:headscratch:
"To work. To work."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal