Author Topic: Hello from Hampshire  (Read 1085 times)

Offline Bazzer

Hello from Hampshire
« on: January 22, 2020, 08:59:32 AM »
Hello All

My name is Barrie Lever and I am a life long model maker, my main interest since the late 1970's has been building RC pylon race aircraft, this introduced me to both composites and model engineering.

I am a time served electrical fitter in the old CEGB, it was a great apprenticeship and at 16 years of age I was taught basic machining, I have built on those skills over the years.

At some stage in my life I took a career change and went into composites, eventually working as a manufacturing consultant to General Dynamics Land Systems on a successful composite military vehicle.

I now work on machining special carbon fibre components which are mostly used in very expensive race yachts such as Americas Cup and Vonde Globe races. I have two CNC machines, one is a Wabeco 1210 mill and the other a German Portal router called CNC-Step.

My turning needs at the moment are just about covered by an EMCO Compact 5 and Unimat 3, I will in the near future do a CNC upgrade on a Compact 5 CNC.

For a recent birthday I was given a Dremel 3D20 printer, I have been very pleased with the results, and I am now printing carbon filled PLA with very pleasing results.

I also have a cheap Chinese laser cutter but that needs constant nurse maiding to keep it working nicely.

I have a soft spot for nicely made engineering tools, ie nice accurate lathes and mills along with quality measuring equipment such as Tesa, Etalon, Mitutoyo and the like.

I aim to build some performance parts for my small IC racing engines in the next 18 month's and will share my experiences.

Best Regards

Barrie

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Hello from Hampshire
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 09:20:22 AM »
 :hi: Barrie,

Nice to see another member using modern machine technology in their workshop  :) We have a number of Pylon racers amongst the membership.

We look forward to seeing your upgrades to your engines

Jo

P.S. There are about a dozen other forum members from Hampshire  ;)
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 12:19:14 PM »

:hi: Barrie,

Another welcome from another Hampshire resident.

can you tell us more about the proposed performance parts for your IC racing engines

Mike

It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 01:24:43 PM »
Hi and welcome to the forum Barrie. Glad to have you with us.

Bill

Offline Bazzer

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 01:24:55 PM »
Hello Vixen

The first parts I am making in the latest project are for an OS60 control line speed engine, these are two different types of exhaust stubs for connecting the mini pipe to the engine.

The image only shows the larger type but the smaller one has a 3D undercut, which was the first time that I programmed an undercut with a lollipop tool.

A fellow competitors has had 18 piston liner assemblies made in the Ukraine, these are a big step up from the OS piston liner, but that is beyond me at the moment.

I will make up a number of different length mini pipes in the next few days, after that I will be making a new front housing with loose fit ceramic ball races, from other engines that I have used it is critical to get a very low drag bearing setup.

More to follow.

Barrie

Online Chipswitheverything

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 01:54:55 PM »
Hello and welcome, Barrie, I'm another of the members from your part of the country, as mentioned by Jo, but my workshop is rather firmly stuck in the steam age compared with your own equipment and processes!  Dave

Offline Bazzer

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 01:58:52 PM »
So I fly RC pylon racers and CL speed model. The speed models have been pulse jets so far but for 2020 I will also fly 10cc IC speed.

A few more photo's the colour full RC models are completely made and designed by myself and the younger chap in the photo, every single thing from CAD, CAM programming, Tool manufacture, moulding and painting. The only thing we don't make is the radio and engine.

Regards

Barrie

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 08:10:29 PM »
Hi Barrie,
Welcome to the forum.  Those are some mighty nice looking RC planes!  (Something I know nothing about, BTW :))
Kim

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 10:00:35 PM »
Hi Barrie,

Welcome here - I must say that I'm impressed already and very much looking forward to see your builds  :cheers:

That last picture of the 'Red Imp' - I can't help thinking about the racket and neighbors do not mix well  :Director:

Best wishes

Per

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal