Author Topic: New here  (Read 1123 times)

Offline Dell

New here
« on: January 21, 2020, 09:34:25 PM »
Hi all
New to forum although I am into clocks not model engines but I have just purchased a Cowells 90me lathe and as I haven’t used a lathe for over 50 years I thought this forum would be a good place to help me refresh the old grey cells.
Hopefully it is like riding a bike ( you never forget )
Dell
Old man but still learning

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: New here
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 09:37:27 PM »
Hi Dell,  As another one interested in clocks, welcome!  Have you made them yourself?  Lots of people with a varied experience here, great place for questions/discussions.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 02:54:57 AM »
Hi all
New to forum although I am into clocks not model engines but I have just purchased a Cowells 90me lathe and as I haven’t used a lathe for over 50 years I thought this forum would be a good place to help me refresh the old grey cells.
Hopefully it is like riding a bike ( you never forget )
Dell

Welcome to MEM Dell.  :hi: Lots of friendly and helpful folks here.

I'm old myself and started this journey several years ago with no previous experience.

As a small lathe and mill owner (Sherline) I'll be looking forward to what sort of projects you do with your Cowells. They sure look nice!

Jim

PS: I've always looked at clocks as just another type of engine.  :)
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 03:01:50 AM »
 I call clocks Gravitic Powered Temporal Engines....

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 05:39:09 AM »
Hi there Dell,
Welcome to Mem!
A clock is on my long list of things to build someday!  I'd love to see some pictures of your projects!
Kim

Offline Dell

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 11:45:57 AM »
Thanks for the welcome I haven’t made a clock but that’s not to say I won’t I just service and repair torsion clocks, and yes they are clockwork engines.
The reason for the lathe is spares for antique clocks are getting ( or I should say have got ) very hard to find. I have two that the mainspring has exploded and split the barrel so that will be my first project but as I haven’t used a lathe for over 50 years I am going to make one or two out of aluminium to start with before I try with brass.
Dell
Old man but still learning

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 12:24:51 PM »
:hi: Dell

Welcome to the forum. There is nothing like a bit of cold metal therapy to keep mind and body active.

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 01:22:49 PM »
Welcome Dell. There are several here with Cowell's lathes  as well as Sherlines and Taigs so you will find kindred spirits here.

Bill

Offline Bobsmodels

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 08:33:55 PM »
Dell

Welcome on board, you will find that Cowells a real gem.   Just search on Cowells and you will find al sorts of information.   Start making chips again and it will all come back to you

Bob

Online Twizseven

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2020, 11:51:29 PM »
Welcome Dell,

I also have a Cowells ME 90 lathe, and also one of their mills.  I have managed to source lots of accessories over the last couple of years.  I have in  fact fitted DRO's to both machines.

Have Fun,

Colin

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal