Author Topic: Little Demon Camshaft (fabricated)  (Read 2507 times)

Offline sparkplug

Little Demon Camshaft (fabricated)
« on: January 20, 2020, 05:32:13 PM »
Hi.
     Its been a while since I last posted.    I'm another in the long line of engineers who's building The Little Demon V8 engine, I hoping there's a few on this group who have successfully completed it as I'm going to fabricate the camshaft and for the life of me I can't make head nor tail of the instruction for the turning fixture and more to the point the angular positions of the cams in relationship to each other as I will need to feed each cam onto a central shaft and bond them in position.    I know its a bit of a cheat, but I'd be grateful if anyone has worked out the angular positions and is willing to share them.
      On the plus side I've successfully fabricated the crankshaft.    It occurred to me that the crankcase would double as an assembly fixture in which the main journals and the big ends could be secured, bonded and then cross drilled and pined and it worked a treat, the shaft rotates freely on the main bearings and the shaft end diameter ball races, it also means there's no need to go to the trouble to make split bearings.   I've not adopted the modular approach outlined in the plans as its far too involved and really doomed to failure.   I just turned up three assemblies for the main bearings and drilled and reamed a .250'' bore for the big ends and assembled and bonded one at a time.    I would post some photo's, but I've always had a problem posting attachments on this forum.     Anyway that's what I'm up to at the minute, look forward to hearing the experiences of others who have completed the engine.
Regards.

Offline Doc

• USA ND
Re: Little Demon Camshaft (fabricated)
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 03:42:50 AM »
I built mine with a 1 piece crank.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbEEr14k_O0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbEEr14k_O0</a>

Offline sparkplug

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 05:12:10 PM »
I've made my share of one piece crankshafts, V8 and straight four, but as this crankshaft is so well supported by three bushes and three roller bearings it lends itself to a fabrication as no sections of the shaft are left unsupported unlike some engines I've built.    Our journey made be different but the destination remains the same.

Offline JonC

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 03:24:12 PM »
Hi,

I've just found this post and wondered if you got anywhere with building a composite cam shaft?

its something that is of interests to me for a project I'm planning

thanks

Jon
It's not what you know, it's not who you know.
It's what you know about who you know

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2020, 04:01:34 PM »
Hello Jon,

If you go to reply #108 onwards in this thread     http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,9709.100.html  you can see my adventures with a built-up fabricated camshaft. It may be of some help.

Mike

« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 04:21:29 PM by Vixen »
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline JonC

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2020, 04:35:22 PM »
Thanks Mike  :ThumbsUp:

Offline JonC

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2020, 07:39:28 PM »
Blimey, Mike, how many projects have you got on ? !!!!

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2020, 09:20:37 PM »
Hello Jon,

One or two, certainly enough to keep me out of mischief. Stalled on the Cosworth, got as far as I can.   :stir:

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal