Author Topic: Throttle governed engine  (Read 13983 times)

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
Re: Throttle governed engine
« Reply #165 on: February 28, 2020, 03:24:47 AM »
 :lolb: :ROFL:
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Online Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #166 on: March 02, 2020, 08:45:42 PM »
After much work and many failed attempts to run the "throttle  governed engine" I have reached a conclusion. There were no real flaws in the self governing mechanism. The flaw was that I couldn't get the basic engine to run properly. The new cylinder heads with the sparkplugs moved didn't really help. The ignition cam on this engine mounts onto the crankshaft. The crankshaft rides on bronze bushings that have rapidly worn out, due to the crankshaft not being perfectly true with no runout. The slop in the crankshaft bearing lets the crank move around enough to screw up the gap in the ignition points.  I have put the engine up on the shelf, and at a later date I will remake the main crankcase and design it so the crankshaft and camshaft both ride on sealed ball bearings. Sealed ball bearings, surprisingly, will tolerate a bit of run-out in the crankshaft, and are not harmed by it.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #167 on: March 03, 2020, 10:04:11 PM »
Though annoying - you at least discovered why you got those problem, and that is very valuable  :ThumbsUp:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal