Author Topic: Reeves Steam Hammer  (Read 1569 times)

Offline Rod999

Reeves Steam Hammer
« on: January 17, 2020, 10:31:49 PM »
           Just wondering if anyone has built it? I've been looking around and can't seem to find anything outside of the Reeves page selling it, no youtube of one running (hammering) and nothing I see in any forum of working on one~

Offline Rod999

Re: Reeves Steam Hammer
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 04:11:27 PM »
97 people looked and nobody said a thing, I'm thinking it's not to popular! - Or did I post this question in the wrong place?

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 04:19:23 PM »
I know of a set of castings for one but its owner has not done anything with it yet.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 04:26:32 PM »
A steam hammer is on my want to do list, have not gotten to it yet. Don't recall seeing any build threads on one.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 04:36:42 PM »
The designer of the Reeves Steam Hammer David Piddington wrote up the build in Engineering in Miniature.

Edit: I've just had a look through the write up: The only tricky bit to machine is the column which he machined on a lathe holding it on a faceplate. It will be much easier to do it on a milling machine.

Jo
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 04:46:37 PM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 03:14:51 PM »
Crueby, I did a write up and photos of my build of the Stuart Turner steam hammer back in August 2016 in the Engines section , if that happens to be of interest, Dave

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2020, 03:18:56 PM »
Crueby, I did a write up and photos of my build of the Stuart Turner steam hammer back in August 2016 in the Engines section , if that happens to be of interest, Dave
I'll check it out, thanks!

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2020, 03:51:40 PM »
A steam hammer is on my want to do list, have not gotten to it yet. Don't recall seeing any build threads on one.

Hi Chris, the link below shows an arch style 20 ton steam hammer used by Pennsylvania RR in their Juniata shops. This type of hammer with an arch frame was used by many railway blacksmith shops. The arch construction has a big advantage over side-frame hammers (as the Stuart model ones are) in that forces are transferred down each side to a deep foundation, reducing stress on the frame and enabling much heavier hammer blows to be used. If you were to make a model version with a 4" vertical opening and 6 or 8" opening from side to side, maybe with a 2" cylinder,  it would be capable of real work with hot iron, unlike the single sided hammer models. Just food for thought. Can't beat modeling a real prototype, as you know.

https://www.loc.gov/resource/hhh.pa2680.photos/?sp=5
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Rod999

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2020, 06:35:21 PM »
CNR6400     Coming up with one that could do real work (well, sort of real) is what I was thinking. After viewing some of the models on you-tube I wasn't all that impressed. I have the prints coming from Reeves, maybe I'll enlarge them, I have enough steel, but kind of wanted cast iron for the "real look"

Rod

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal