Author Topic: 3D Scanning Equipment  (Read 801 times)

Online Twizseven

3D Scanning Equipment
« on: January 14, 2020, 06:25:03 PM »
Has anyone ventured into or have experience of 3D scanning. An aquaintance of mine wishes to investigate 3D scanning with a view to printing parts out on a 3D printer.  Parts are to replace worn out items on a motorbike that are currently plastic components and which are not now available.

All thoughts gratefully accepted.

Colin

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
Re: 3D Scanning Equipment
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 11:22:56 PM »
Has anyone ventured into or have experience of 3D scanning. An aquaintance of mine wishes to investigate 3D scanning with a view to printing parts out on a 3D printer.

I hate questions like that. Gets me looking into the subject and getting interested.  ;D
I can't help much. I know it's being done. I expect you've already googled the subject.
Depending on the part, it may be easier to a) take measurements, b) draw it up, c) print it, d) test it, go back to 'a'.

As a side note...there's also programs that take 2D images and convert to 3D for printing. I tried it once (can't remember the program) but didn't have much success (mainly because of the crap printer I had at the time).
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 11:54:15 PM »
Colin, just sent you a message.
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 12:15:14 AM »
A review of a recent machine release: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EoeBPazLh0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EoeBPazLh0</a> USD899 list price. Has its limitations but might be enough to get the a part that can be massaged into final.
He generally does a good job of reviewing, he is not a beginner with this tech.

Gerrit
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 12:30:45 AM »
Before buying any system be sure to talk turkey with the manufacturer about certified scan accuracy and how it can be verified (if accuracy is needed). For motorbike plastic parts as Colin mentioned, accuracy for fit to mating parts will likely be a LOT more important than for a sci fi model figure as in the pic from Michael at Teaching Tech.
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline awake

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 09:54:34 PM »
As a side note...there's also programs that take 2D images and convert to 3D for printing. I tried it once (can't remember the program) but didn't have much success (mainly because of the crap printer I had at the time).

I think you are referring to "photogrammetry software." I keep intending to try some of the open-source versions, but haven't had a chance ...
Andy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal