Author Topic: Toyota results!  (Read 1856 times)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Toyota results!
« on: January 12, 2020, 09:42:52 PM »
Brought my Tacoma in for rear leaf spring recall. She's got 225,000 miles on her, but I do take care of her, and she's pretty clean all in all. I Was there for an hour and the service dept calls me over. Mr Piper, your truck is currently deemed unsafe by Toyota to drive due to frame corrosion.It failed our inspection" ....I freaked out....and what am I suppose to do about this?....Nothing at all, She hands me the keys to a 2019 Tacoma rental..... for no cost to me for the next 2 months.... while they put a new frame under my truck Free of charge.

Mind Blown
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
Re: Toyota results!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 09:46:17 PM »
That is pretty amazing - nice to hear a tale like that for a change, instead of getting ripped off by the dealer / manufacturer.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 09:51:52 PM »
That is pretty amazing - nice to hear a tale like that for a change, instead of getting ripped off by the dealer / manufacturer.

My wife dug into this hard.   It appears they lost a Class action suite for this problem, and they have to inspect everything from 2004 to 2010....my is an 09'
....Still....

Did I mention I LOVE back up camera's    8)

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 10:02:02 PM »

Dave

I used to think these shouldn't be on cars, and that if you needed one you shouldn't be passed fit to drive.

And then I got a truck with one on.

I love my back up camera and other gadgets. Even my heated steering wheel.  :ThumbsUp:
Stuart

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 10:07:42 PM »

Dave

I used to think these shouldn't be on cars, and that if you needed one you shouldn't be passed fit to drive.

And then I got a truck with one on.

I love my back up camera and other gadgets. Even my heated steering wheel.  :ThumbsUp:

As today was outrageously warm outside  ( mid 60'sF in NewEngiland in January is just about unheard of) I took the boat out of her parking spot today to take the cover off , and take some measurements and some photo's for the conversion....  Backing up to the ball with that camera was about as easy as it gets!.....

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 10:17:31 PM »
I have a Tacoma as well and love it but I wish I'd gone for the next level up. Primarily for the GPS.
Plus, I got spoiled with a Honda and sensors telling me about cars to the side or automatically slowing down on cruise control if a car was in front.

However...if the Tacoma gets in a fight with a tree...the Tacoma will lose.  ;D
I was backing up and trying to avoid a dumpster. I didn't see the tree on the other side.
Luckily, the tail gate was down and it took the hit.

I like my dealership but twice now I've gone in to ask about replacing the tailgate. Both times, they said sure. Maybe save you some money and get a junkyard one.
Never heard from them again.

But to some extent I have to agree with propforward. Much of this stuff isn't needed. It either adds cost or (in my mind) raises some safety issues.
The one that really gripes me are the motorized windows. I'm fine to roll them myself.
Woe be the Dad that electrically rolls up a rear window before checking that the little one doesn't have a hand out. (Never happened to me...but I think about it.)

Another gripe...replaced our front door and the door handle. The door handle automatically unlocks the bolt when you open from the inside.
Every time now, when I open the door, I'm not sure if it was already locked or not.
What? It saves having to turn the bolt before opening the door. Geesh.
I like positive feedback.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 10:18:48 PM »
Oh yes indeed! I've used it that way for hitching up my trailer as well. Dead simple.

It was colder than a witches.............well it was very cold here. So after I avoided all the snow drifts with my back up camera when reversing out of the garage, I also enjoyed my heated seat and steering wheel.
Stuart

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2020, 10:20:43 PM »
Another gripe...replaced our front door and the door handle. The door handle automatically unlocks the bolt when you open from the inside.
Every time now, when I open the door, I'm not sure if it was already locked or not.
What? It saves having to turn the bolt before opening the door. Geesh.
I like positive feedback.

I feel the same way about those.  :-\
Stuart

Offline Dreeves

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2020, 02:50:47 AM »
My sons Toyota was done last year. He also got a new Tacoma to drive while they did the work. They tried to sell him a new truck instead of the fix. He did not buy it but injoyed it.

Dave

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2020, 03:35:18 AM »
Wow...........putting a new frame under a truck must be a huge project!  :noidea:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline jeff l

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2020, 01:02:55 PM »
 I applaud Toyota for taking care of this issue, not many if any of our American manufactures would .
 My friend just had his truck done , the replacement frame was done is 1 day but he had to take the truck back at least 5 times after to repair what the "hack" technician did .
 I hope that you find a Technician that cares about what he's doing instead of making a fast buck .Jeff

Offline Dreeves

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2020, 01:48:38 PM »
Wow 1 day. They had my sons truck for a week. The dealer must have been a hack shop

Dave

Offline RonGinger

• Boothbay Maine USA
    • Pleasant Cove Models
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2020, 02:02:03 PM »
My 2010 Tacoma also got the frame  job. The dealer had my car for about 6 weeks, while I used their rental. The idea of a frame change scared the heck out of me. Think about all the connections of wire and hose that can go wrong.

And sure enough the first day I had the truck home it showed a check engine light. So back to the dealer (35 miles form home) for a fix. That happened twice. Then I got an intermittent fail warning of the brake system. I lost all my faith in the truck and traded it in on a Honda CR-V.

I asked about trading it in, but the dealer told me once it was identified as a recall they had no choice but to make the repair.

I really liked my Tacoma and hated to give it  up, but the Honda gets way better mileage.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2020, 03:17:25 PM »
Ill guess well see.   Theast two Toyota dealers Ive dealt with really turned me off    I hope.this one is better.
Damned ijjit!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2020, 03:38:23 PM »
My mother's Subaru Forester had a similar situation, ten years ago they recalled them for the front subframe rotting out. Had it done then, forgot about it. Few months ago it was in for inspection and oil change, the guy called and said the replacement subframe was rotten, huge holes, about to collapse. Fortunately they would replace it free one more time, only took another day. He said the replacement part was just like the original one, but Subaru didn't expect it to be on the road so long. Low milage, but lots of salty road years. Ironic that they claim in ads how many old ones are still on the road, but they made that statement. Just glad it was caught before the front wheels and engine took a left as the rest of the car went right!

Offline tghs

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2020, 03:47:53 PM »
they are still "on the road" just a bit here and a bit there, a bit in the driveway..
what the @#&% over

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2020, 04:20:53 PM »
they are still "on the road" just a bit here and a bit there, a bit in the driveway..
:lolb: :lolb:

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2020, 07:01:07 PM »
Got it back today!.  Other than the brakes feel a bit spongy.......it runs great, and it has the new frame, springs, shocks....

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2020, 07:08:46 PM »
Wow - took them a while to whittle a new frame. Better fix the brakes before it bends the frame bouncing off that wall...!

A friend of mine is going through a similar thing with his Chevy pickup - brand new, vibrates like mad. They've had it for the last 5 weeks, checking/replacing all sorts of things. Seems to be a problem with the new models, lots of others having same issue. Latest theory is the transmission fluid was not too compatible with the new bigger transmission they offered, doing all sorts of behind the scenes 'service bullitens' rather than a recall, he still does not have it back but is looking into the lemon-law to get them to buy the thing back. He's had 5 different loaners, the loaners keep getting recalled for other problems (and they are not even the same model of truck).   :shrug:

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2020, 10:11:29 PM »
My drag car in the late 1960's was a 60 Chev Impala with a very high performance 283 engine and a Borg Warner 4 speed transmission. The rear axle was one of Chevrolets "trailing arm" suspensions. I was out drag racing early Camaros one night and pulled both trailing arms right out of the frame. I took the car into Stirling Motors the next day and they fixed it with new fish plates welded all around the trailing arms pivot points. It lasted until the next winter when I lost control of the car on an icy road and got hit broadside by a snowplow.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal