Author Topic: tramming my mill - how to square head to column  (Read 2786 times)

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: tramming my mill - how to square head to column
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2020, 07:27:13 AM »
I'd say you are probably close enough in X not to upset things, I would say the left side of the cutter is slightly low hence the pattern in the second photo.

If you look at the first photo the cross hatch only shows where both leading and trailing edges are over the work so there is a bit of ride up going on which the "blunter" inserts will intensify, try it again with a really sharp flycutter and no rounding of it's corner and just a few thou cut.

Also try the same cuts in the Y direction

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2020, 10:24:57 PM »
Thanks guys.

Jason, I did the Y direction. In the -X direction I got cross hatches but in the +X direction a little less so.
Seems I'm close but can't smoke my cigar yet.

On a different note...today really sucked.
You all know I'm up for surgery on my right shoulder (can't move in a couple of directions) and now my left thumb got injured and I can't grasp. Not to mention the knees are out.
This is all especially bad what with gardening season approaching and T needing my help. She (who must be obeyed) will not be happy.

It's making me question having such large machines. I have thoughts of selling them and going for smaller.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2020, 10:51:26 PM »
Understandable you should feel that way........but maybe wait until after surgery and see how you feel? Once recovered and through some PT you may feel more able to cope..
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2020, 02:54:06 AM »

On a different note...today really sucked.
You all know I'm up for surgery on my right shoulder (can't move in a couple of directions) and now my left thumb got injured and I can't grasp. Not to mention the knees are out.
This is all especially bad what with gardening season approaching and T needing my help. She (who must be obeyed) will not be happy.

It's making me question having such large machines. I have thoughts of selling them and going for smaller.

Well Zee...............I'd certainly agree with you that your day sucked for sure!  >:( I hope things get on the upswing soon. They never told us about all this stuff in "The Handbook of Getting Older"!  :shrug:

On a "lighter" note  :Lol: if you decide to "see the light" and move to "lighter" machines..............Chris, Bill, and myself will welcome you.

:cheers: Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2020, 06:09:20 PM »
They never told us about all this stuff in "The Handbook of Getting Older"!  :shrug:

Probably on the same shelf as "The Handbook of Growing Up".

I've never seen said handbooks but have the next best thing in parents and grandparents.
(Grandparents are long gone but I'm fortunate to still have my parents.)
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal