Author Topic: Gerrit's FDM Projects  (Read 4608 times)

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
Re: Gerrit's FDM Projects
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2020, 02:54:06 AM »
Excellent Garret.  :ThumbsUp:

This is exactly the type of stuff I could see 3D printing as an early project. In my case is would be a set of boxes for holding my small taps, dies, and drills. They would be approximately 3" x 4" and could be combined as a set depending on what the printer could handle. I have a hunch it would only grow from there.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
Cutting Tool Trays
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2020, 04:56:48 PM »
This is an update to earlier post about these trays.

I re-drew the tray to allow changing length and height using Parameters (Modify/Change Parameters). There are User params now for BoxHeight and BoxLength. Things adapts accordingly. If you find the slider fingers at bottom sides are not thick enough that too has a User Parameter. Separators are always 50% of box height.

I printed .25", .375" and .5" trays of 5.5" and 6.25" long in the quantities I need. There are a few more to print for drills. Next up will be drawing up some drawer guides and putting them in a small plywood carcass. I think they will all be spaced at .5" so I can add an aluminum drawer front and handle. Teh drawer front will hide the guides, and provide a place for labels.

The top photo shows an example of what motivated me to do something :-)
gerrit

Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2020, 10:43:49 PM »
Nice useful parts Gerrit. The box/tray idea sounds like a good one!

John

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2020, 01:54:41 AM »
I like those trays!  You're going to be so organized you won't be able to find anything!  :Lol:
Kim

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2020, 02:05:19 AM »
Timely thread.
I'm facing the realization that I have to rearrange my shop and these kinds of ideas are helpful.

:ThumbsUp:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2020, 02:10:03 AM »
I like those trays!  You're going to be so organized you won't be able to find anything!  :Lol:
Kim

And it will inflate my next order from KBC Tools as I ponder the gaps in stub drill sizes :-(

I will show my solution for stacking these in a few days, depending on weather as my wood shop is in the garage, presently -9C

gerrit
Don't confuse activity with progress

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal