Author Topic: CHUK2 - Alyn Foundry Flame Gulper  (Read 10368 times)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: CHUK2 - Alyn Foundry Flame Gulper
« Reply #105 on: February 13, 2020, 05:38:43 PM »
Runs as good as it looks.

Interesting to see how changing the position of the torch will affect the speed.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #106 on: February 13, 2020, 05:52:02 PM »
 8) Well done Colin

I can start another set of castings now.

Bitten by the bug   :lolb:  :pinkelephant:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Twizseven

« Reply #107 on: February 13, 2020, 05:54:20 PM »
Jason,

Thank you.  I have just had  another quick run and moving the flame around certainly make a tremendous difference to speed.

Will now see if I can make a meths burner for it.  Thinking of using an old copper plumbing bend (not sure whether its 1/2" or 3/4") and possibly putting three wick outlets.  Not sure whether this will provide enough heat.

If it is unlikely to work may have to revert to some form of gas flame device similar to yours.  What is your gas source?

Colin

Offline Twizseven

« Reply #108 on: February 13, 2020, 05:59:24 PM »
Jo,

Thank you.

I have about 10 sets of castings in workshop. :)  Obviously compared to your stash this is miniscule. :LittleDevil:

I also have a GHT pillar tool to finish which I started about 10 years or so ago.  I also have a Stent T&C grinder which I bought about 8 years ago second hand.  It needs a good clean/paint and refurb and a few safety additions, such as a guard for the wheel.

A may fix these two first as they would be more useful going forward.

Colin

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #109 on: February 13, 2020, 06:17:42 PM »
Well done Colin.

I've already shared your video with our group.

You'll find that a Yellow flame is much better suited for these engines in fact you could try covering the air holes on your torch initially.

I know Mike used a piece of 15mm Copper water pipe which he curved to suit the base diameter. He then Silver soldered a couple of smaller diameter tubes that carried a couple of wicks. He used Paraffin as a fuel because the Copper heats up rapidly and Methyated Spirit ends up coming out under pressure.

For gas operation the designs From Andy and Jason work really well, using either Propane or Butane neat
( without air ) gives a hot Yellow flame.

Cheers Graham.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #110 on: February 13, 2020, 06:24:19 PM »
I just use a small camping gas type container and a cheap regulator both bought on e-bay. You can see it at the end of the video

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFk4ZhEA4kE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFk4ZhEA4kE</a>

Offline Twizseven

« Reply #111 on: February 13, 2020, 07:21:28 PM »
Jason,

I've got several of those cylinders, so just ordered a adaptor/regulator.

Graham,
Not sure why I said Meths, I actually meant paraffin.

See whether can get my silver soldering to hold fluid in rather than just hold things together. :Lol:

Colin

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #112 on: February 13, 2020, 10:45:45 PM »
Congratulations - you have a great runner with good looks  :praise2:   :cheers:

Now another burner that isn't louder than the engine will be a big bonus  ;)

Per

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #113 on: February 14, 2020, 03:45:02 AM »
A great runner Jason.  :ThumbsUp:

I've got a flame gulper of some sort on my bucket list, but I don't think they're as easy to make and get running as you make it look.  :praise2:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #114 on: February 14, 2020, 09:10:39 AM »
great runners, these 2 flame gulpers...
awesome and attractive model too

Offline Twizseven

« Reply #115 on: March 30, 2020, 02:41:55 PM »
Finally managed to make gas burner.  This took several attempts.  The first attempt at silver soldering failed (miserably).  It looked quite good at first.  The end of the tube had sealed, had nice joint round base of pipe to the larger diameter connector.  Till I spotted the fact that was not immediately apparent.  The pipe had slid down inside the larger body by just over an inch.  Only spotted this when lifted of the soft fluffy heat mat I had been using.  Tried to reheat to melt the solder so I could slide the thin tube up a bit.  It would not heat up enough even with the big burner on the torch.  Oh well back to the drawing board and make another set.  This time the larger component was made couple of mm longer and the central bore smaller so pipe could no longer slide through.  Success this time.

It does not run a quickly as it did on the big propane burner.  Currently using Jasons design of gas pipe with 5 holes (0.52mm dia) at 4mm distance from each other.  Wondering whether to add a further two holes to give a slight bigger flame.  Any thoughts on this??  Couple of times the flame was blown out as piston came back down bore.

See video below.
[youtube1]https://youtu.be/_gwCVr1dBA8[/youtube1]

Colin

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #116 on: March 30, 2020, 04:50:41 PM »
I can't hear the valve opening, is the engine sitting flat on the bench and not allowing the exhaust to escape? That would reduce the blowback coming out of the inlet

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #117 on: March 30, 2020, 05:19:36 PM »
Hi Colin.

That's a nice job on the burner.   :ThumbsUp:

I'm thinking that you need another couple of holes along the length as the whole port doesn't seem to be covered.

Cheers Graham.

Offline Twizseven

« Reply #118 on: March 30, 2020, 05:44:46 PM »
Jason,
The metal base is clear of the wooden plinth by around 6mm.  Nothing has changed since I ran it with the big propane burner.  I am assuming as it ran reasonably well the exhaust is opening.  THis was always something I was unsure about as the exhaust spring and valve do not have a huge amount of space to move around in.

Graham,
I'm afraid the burner is pretty well a copy of Jason's.  The first camping gas adaptor I purchased although it showed hose and connector in advert it did not come with one and they decided they could not supply one.  Ordered another with hose but this time it came with a big adaptor for a large propane tank.  I had to make my own push in adaptor which has three 5.1mm dia 'O' rings to seal it into the end of the flame tube assembly.  Same number of holes but in my case 0.52mm dia as did not have a 0.5mm.  I think to put a flame across the full width it will need two extra holes (possibly three) as a minimum.

It certainly will run quite slowly.

Colin

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #119 on: March 30, 2020, 06:15:07 PM »
Don't forget mine was for a 24mm bore version so you may need the extra holes as Graham says plus play about with flame size (gas flow) and position.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal