Author Topic: CHUK2 - Alyn Foundry Flame Gulper  (Read 10356 times)

Online Twizseven

Re: CHUK2 - Alyn Foundry Flame Gulper
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2020, 07:56:02 PM »
Last night decided to cut piece of 1/2" sq. brass down to make the gudgeon pin mount.  Decided to do this on the Cowells mill in the warm in the office.  Machined to size then found long 4mm end mill and and machined slot for the little end to fit into.
Left this to continue another evening.

Continued making mandrel.  The chunk of steel for the washers was finished bored to 22.6mm and then turned down spigot to fit in cylinder. and the correct dimension to clear the boss's to be machined into base of cylinder.  This all went okay.  Then disaster struck.  I was using a very nice 4mm wide ISCAR tipped parting tool which has worked beautifully in the past and with power crossfeed.  Started to cut and then engaged crossfeed (set to slowest possible).  It started okay started to grumble and before I could cut the power it threw the piece out of the fixed steady and the 3 jaw.  :censored: The fixed steady had its top leg pushed upwards and it pushed it past the screw which does its infeed.  >:( I think the fact that it went this way saved any proper damage other than the slight bend in the screw for the top leg.  Decided power parting with this piece of steel was a big NO NO.  Threw it in the 4 1/2" bandsaw then faced it off.  Reset chunk of steel in 3 jaw, trurned washer to size and bandsawed it off and then faced it.  Finally had a mandrel and fixing washers and was able to mount cylinder on mandrel and tidied up the fins and grooves.

Colin

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2020, 03:41:49 PM »
Progressing nicely Colin.

I hadn't realised that a volunteer from the Anson engine museum had captured this on video.

The ONLY CHUK 3 !!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHO5y9bMegw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHO5y9bMegw</a>

Cheers Graham.

Online Twizseven

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2020, 08:43:11 PM »
Thank you Graham.

How much cleaning up would you normally do around the fins and grooves in the cylinder.  I have gone in with a narrow round tipped tool and taken all the casting flash of from the sides of fins and bottom of the groove.  I have tried not to removed very much of the sand cast effect.  Would you normally leave it like that or completely clean out and completely smooth the surfaces.  All the fins are now cleaned up to the same diameter.

So how many of each variant CHUK1, CHUK2 and CHUK3 are there out in the wild.

Colin

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2020, 11:44:29 AM »
Good morning Colin.

To be honest it's down to personal choice with regards to the cylinder finning.

They did such a good job of the castings at Rhuddlan that only minor fettling was needed to make the cylinders presentable.

As to numbers, I didn't keep a written record. I was getting the design ready for Chester UK to start offering kits when the announcement of Rhuddlan's closure was made.

There are just two of CHUK 1 MK 1 and a couple more of the MK 2's. CHUK 2 see's the most, at less than 10 with CHUK 3, seen above being the " lonely " one.

Cheers Graham.

Online Twizseven

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2020, 05:50:42 PM »
Finished off the cylinder bottom by turning the boss for the exhaust valve and the locating boss to fit it in the base.

Earlier in week I had machined the a small piece of brass to make the gudgeon pin mount.  I was going to do the next step on the Cowells Mill, but decided to revert to the PBM-2000.  I had just swapped a spare R8 Clarkson mdeium collet chuck for a small Hauser plain shank boring head which has come with a very small boring tool already mounted in it.  I Needed an 8mm dia hole through the piece and decided to start at 6mm dia so shoved a 6mm slot mill in ER32 collet chuck and put initial hole in.

Swapped to boring head and slowly (very slowly) worked my way up to 8mm.  This took me about one and half hours.  Part of the issue was getting use to the boring head and tool flex in the small dia tool, the second problem was sizing the hole.  The only tool I had to fit the bore was a Telescopic bore gauge but this needed a 7.5mm hole before it would fit in.  To be able to get clearance below the cutter I was having to drop the knee a fair amount (50 turns of handle), take measurement and then wind back up another 50 turns.  This was a bit wearing.  I need to fit the Z Axis power feed which is sitting in box next to the machine.  Eventually got here and the bearing fitted. :cartwheel:  Wanted to radius the ends so moved to the BCA jig borer after having made a small locating stud to fit in the rotary table and the bearing hole.  Using 1/4" end mill I first did upper radius and then the lower one.  Cleaned up sharp edges, fitted bearing, happy with how it turned out.

Next part was the bearing upstand..  The cylinder was still set up on mandrel in the Colchester so I decided to use the Myford.  Needed a mandrel making to support the upstand, so found a piece of 3/4" bar put it in ER32 collet chuck, put centre in the end, then turned down to 1/2" dia. and put a 3/8" UNF thread on end.  With this made Fitted three jaw chuck and centralised the casting.  I needed a spotfaced hole in the centre and put long 1/2" slot mill in Jacobs chuck.  When spotfaced put 15/32" drill through the casting.  Changed to boring bar and took hole out to just under 1/2" dia, opend the spotfaced area to 7/8" dia then put 1/2" reamer through  the hole.

Bolted casting to the mandrel and put into ER32 chuck.  Due to the weight distribution it was a bit unbalanced to ran quite slowly and turned the periphery up to match diameter of the fins on the cylinder, then faced the bottom.  As I intended to try for a close fit with the top of the cylinder (ha ha) I now needed a hole 46mm dia by 6mm deep in the bottom of the casting.  I had turned the top of the cylinder to 46mm whilst it was still in the Colchester. This took some time, in fact it took lots and lots of time. :ThumbsDown:  I started off by scooping (very technical term) bits out with a round nosed tool, but obviously could not get near the edge.  Then used a profiling tool to remove some more.  Gradually swapping tools about I headed down to 6mm.  I wanted to get a boring bar in, buteven using the smallest one I had It kept fouling on the boss that was slowly emerging around the mandrel.  Kept making the mandrel smaller till I could get the boring bar in and complete the hole to size.  This also was a bit of an exercise.  I was having to use internal spring calipers and external micrometer to get to size.

Eventually go to size and had to bite the bullet and take the cylinder of the mandrel on the Colchester.  Tried it cylinder in bore and it fitted. :cartwheel:  BUT would not go fully in.  I used engineers blue to check when  I had a mating surface.  After a while i twigged that the internal corner in the base had not cleaned up. I found a old tool my father had made 30 odd years ago which cleaned right into the corner.  Once this done I had blue on both surfaces.  :whoohoo:

The three main castings now fit together.  More work still do do on the upstand.

Colin

Online Twizseven

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2020, 05:53:10 PM »
Few more pics.

Offline mnay

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2020, 07:45:33 PM »
Great looking flame gulpers.   Are the plans still available for sale?

The castings are beautiful, but I gather from reading the build notes that they are no longer available.

Thanks, Mike

I will continue to follow along.

Online Twizseven

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2020, 09:28:49 PM »
Question to Jo or Graham

Is there a centre to centre distance for the crankweb for the crankshaft and the big end. :headscratch:

Or is it whatever can be squeezed out of the casting.

Colin

PS Silly question, just re read page one and noted the Stroke is 2", so obviously center to centre is 1".   :facepalm:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 09:34:13 PM by Twizseven »

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2020, 09:38:33 PM »
I would check your casting I seem to recall something about the pin may be a little close to the edge  :noidea:

I cut my one out of a bit of steel rather than using the castings as the one I had was a little chilled (hard as glass) and I could increase the counter balance size  :)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Twizseven

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2020, 10:09:19 PM »
Jo,

Many Thanks, I'll check that.

You have Surus helping.

My helper is a little more active. :ROFL:

Colin

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2020, 11:25:57 AM »
Good morning.

Love the Ginger moggy Colin, what's it called?

Regarding the stroke, if you can squeeze a little more from the engine, the better!! But otherwise it's 50mm or 2" ....

I can see some extra sketches, from Jo per chance?

Your overall progress and attention is looking great Colin, won't be long now.

Cheers Graham.

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2020, 11:35:01 AM »
Great looking flame gulpers.   Are the plans still available for sale?

The castings are beautiful, but I gather from reading the build notes that they are no longer available.

Thanks, Mike

I will continue to follow along.

Hi Mike.

Please check your inbox... ;)

Cheers Graham.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2020, 01:13:14 PM »
Mike if Graham's PM does not contain the info that I think it does there are links to drawings on this site for a smaller version that does not need the castings that could easily be scaled up if desired.

Online Twizseven

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2020, 03:09:02 PM »
Graham. The cat is called Tigger. He loves being with me. Trouble is swarf and cats paws do not go together so have to vacuum the floor as often as I can.   The drawings were some of my sketches. Trying to keep a log of the build and all issues/problems I have experienced.  Most of them due to my lack of thought of Incorrect setup or lack of required tool.   Depending on whether or not it works at the end of day I might do an article for MEW. (If they want it/deem it suitable)

Just bored 40.3 hole in bearing yoke and when fitted on cylinder can pass the piston through the two of them. Cleaned the pedestal up 1/2mm or so wider so once painted can still insert piston from the top.  Need to do a bit of fettling with file/die grinder to clean up transition from machined edge to casting.
Colin

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2020, 04:28:41 PM »
Hi Colin..

MEW ?

A site specifically designed for cats ??

:lolb:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal