Author Topic: CHUK2 - Alyn Foundry Flame Gulper  (Read 10359 times)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: CHUK2 - Alyn Foundry Flame Gulper
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2020, 07:51:32 PM »
How would you fit a tipped tool to the boring head below:

::)
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Twizseven

« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2020, 08:02:49 PM »
Looks as though I'f better spend some more money then. :Lol:

Colin

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2020, 08:03:41 PM »
 "   Graham,
          Desmodronic valve timing on a flame licker  :Lol:  "

Using high speed shutter and film....

Martins " Desmo " CHUK running at near 700 RPM.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2020, 08:04:24 PM »
You can also use brazed carbide tooling, does not have to be replacable tip which can be reground for external cutting. Or if you want to use indexable holders then a simple adaptor can be knocked up to hold 6mm square shank lathe tools if you don't have the type of holder Jo shows.

Online Twizseven

« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2020, 08:16:24 PM »
Jo,.

Any recommendations as to manufacturer/supplier.  My boring head is for 5/8" bars or has sleeves down to 3/8".  I see Glanze do a set of 4.

Colin

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2020, 08:20:00 PM »
I have made a set of sleeves for my head and make use of what ever I can get at a good price. That is one of the Glanze ones but as we discussed earlier you will need to run the Mill head in reverse to use these to bore on the outside, which is not a problem for your very nice Automatic boring and Facing head  8)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2020, 08:47:14 PM »
I have got the Glanze set of three 1/2" shank holders use them 90% of the time when using the boring head.

https://www.glanze.co.uk/product/set-of-3-1-2-dia-indexable-boring-bars/

Online Twizseven

« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2020, 09:09:05 PM »
JO,

My boring head is unfortunately threaded onto the R8 shank, so not sure it would stay in one piece if reversed.  Could always loctite it I suppose.

Just gone through all the bits I have with boring/facing head and found a couple of adaptors which will hold a tool at 45 degrees.  The bore is such that a 6mm shank indexable lathe tool will fit.

I had spotted those Jason.  They would all need the machine running in reverse to machine exterior surface?  Glanze do the set of 4 in either 1/2" or 3/8".  Looking at them one is a left hand tool so this would mean the mill could run in normal rotation with that one fitted.  Am I correct.?  Although the boring facing head has adaptors for 3/8"  I guess it would make sense to buy the 1/2" they would fit the industry standard 2" boring head and could be sleeved up to 5/8".

Colin

Online Twizseven

« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2020, 07:20:08 PM »
Decided to drill/tap the cylinder and drill clearance holes in base casting.  Due to the narrow band of material available I elected to tap for 4BA screws rather than 2BA and use 6 of them.  My DRO has the ability to do bolt circles.  I've never used this before so quick read of the manual and then set up for radius 27.5mm and 6 holes.  It was brilliant (as i'm sure a lot of you already know).  I was even more amazed when repeated the exercise for the base and the two bolted together. :cartwheel:

As the material I was waiting for did not arrive today, spent some time lapping the exhaust and inlet port faces then  moved onto making the Flap Valve and the Flap Valve Spring.  The spring was made from 10 thou shim and the valve from 15 thou shim.  First valve came out a bit too loose even though had followed given dimensions.  Remade it about 1mm wider all round and this appeared much better.  The spring does not have much spring in it. So a quick question to Graham/Jo.  Although made to dimensions I feel I need to shorten the legs slightly to allow them to move outwards and so give more spring.  Would I be correct. :headscratch:

Have loctited the bearing yoke to cylinder and this is now gently curing on a warm radiator.

Colin

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2020, 08:29:23 PM »
Hi Colin.

I really like the fact that you've followed the drawing, the spring looks great.

It only needs to move a few " Thou " to work so will probably be fine. The important factor is that it keeps the disc lightly sealed to the lip on the cylinder.

Cheers Graham.

Online Twizseven

« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2020, 09:00:27 PM »
Graham,

Thanks for that.  When I loosely assembled cylinder on base with valve and spring i could not see any movement in valve, but having said that it was not bolted together only hand held so a bit awkward to test.  Will continue as is and see what eventually happens.

Colin

Online Twizseven

« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2020, 09:13:35 PM »
Yesterday whilst waiting for bits did a small job fro a friend of mine.  He wanted a lamp from a early 1900's  car modifying from candle power to mains power.

Quite pleased how it came out.

Little bit more today.  Minor slither off one edge of the crank web, shorten the crankshaft and loctite the pair together.  Drill and tap the flywheel 2BA.

The material I ws waiting for arrived and so could start on the arm and roller bearing for the inlet valve operation.

Next bits will be conrod and  linkages on the inlet valve.

Assemble bits so far and see what it looks like.

Colin

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #72 on: February 02, 2020, 11:33:36 AM »
Good morning Colin.

JPEG 83 is showing promise!

;)

Cheers Graham.

Online Twizseven

« Reply #73 on: February 02, 2020, 08:12:04 PM »
Thank you Graham,

As my material had arrived I could now make a start on the conrod.  I was going to use a piece if 10 x 4mm brass, this may be a good move it may not.

Marked it all out on surface place, 120mm between big end and little end centres and also lightly marked the midway point.

On to MYford in self-centre 4 jaw and centred the ends and then turned the shape down.  Narrowed the middle to 8mm for a distance of 10mm and then tapered each down to respective end. 1.4 degeee taper for big end and 2 degree taper to the little end.  Polished turned edges lightly when done.

Across to mill in vice on tall narrow parallel.  Set X-axis DRO to long centre line of rod, and set Y-axis DRO to the midpoint of the rod.  Started with big end and marked with stub drill then stepped up thorugh2mm to 7.5mm drills.  Swapped to miniature boring head to take to 7.96mm.  Set it to starting bore size so it just touched, started mill and raised the knee to strt cut.  Stopped very quickly when realised for some reason the cutter was cutting almost 8mm dia.  Reset and continued to 7.96mm  Bearings were supposedly 8mm but miked up at 9.97mm.  Moved to little end, drilled 2.8mm and put 3mm reamer through.

Read Grahams notes again and saw comment re make as light as possible.  So I put a series of holes down the center of the rod.  Then moved to BCA jig borer and rounded the ends off.

When done polished on some 1000 grot wet and  dry and then fitted bearing.  Cut a 3mm piece or rod and fitted rod to gudgeon pin boss.  All seamed ok so put piston on end, put it in the bore and used a 2BA screw to fit big end to crank web as a temporary measure.  It all spins nicely.

Colin

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2020, 11:51:04 AM »
You're on the " home straight " now Colin!! :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal