Author Topic: 3D printer - cheap as chips  (Read 21080 times)

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
Re: 3D printer - cheap as chips
« Reply #150 on: January 24, 2020, 08:54:33 PM »
JC54:

I found that the problem with a lot of Thingiverse modifications is that they were not EXACTLY what I was looking for, I think you'll find the same.  Once you start designing your own 3D parts you're opening up the door on a whole new world, and it's a BLAST.

My first 3D design was a 20mm cube, a die.  At least I think that's the singular version of dice.  That way by remembering which way the die was oriented as it printed, I could identify which axis of my printer was screwing up.

There are several no-cost 3D CAD packages available, Fusion 360 and DesignSpark3D are 2 that I have.  Fusion 360 is the most powerful, but I'm more familiar with DesignSpark3D so that's the one I usually use.  I believe that Sketch-Up and TinkerCAD are both free 3D CAD packages but I haven't used either so I don't know for sure.

Find a 3D CAD package and get comfortable with it.  Then you don't need to worry about the Thingiverse version not being complete, or not exactly what you want.  If it ain't right, it's your fault and YOU can fix it.

Don

Offline JC54

• Grantham, Lincolnshire, UK
« Reply #151 on: January 24, 2020, 10:49:32 PM »
 Thanks Don, I have been using Alibre 3D Cad for quite  a while and already have several things that I want to print but thought I would try "ready sorted"  parts at first. Several people had recommended a filament fan to cool your print and so why redesign the wheel?? Should have known better.
            Jo will try to put some pictures up tomorrow, a very hectic day today.  :old: :DrinkPint: :DrinkPint: John
When the Fun Stops,, Stop!

Offline ddmckee54

« Reply #152 on: January 25, 2020, 04:52:51 AM »
JC54:

My first printer didn't have a cooling fan either.  That was one of the first things I printed - I also got mine from Thingiverse.  You'll be amazed at the increase in print quality, and print speed, that you will get with that one upgrade.  I would recommend the radial blower over the axial fan, the blowers move a LOT more air - but they also pull more amps.  TANSTAAFL

Don

Offline JC54

« Reply #153 on: January 26, 2020, 11:53:52 AM »
Hello All, Hopefully here are some pictures of my first printing attempts, machine straight out of the box. As you can see the little robot (example with Cura slicing software) got disjointed a couple of times.  :facepalm:  Caused by belt jumping on pulley/cogs. Tightened belts.  The other part is for a cooling fan found on thingiverse. Pleased with result but found not alll necessary parts on website??? :hammerbash:
            So far very pleased with this printer for the price paid. Now back down the rabbit hole to find upgraded parts.. John :old: :DrinkPint: :DrinkPint:

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #154 on: January 26, 2020, 02:48:55 PM »
That is a pretty good start.

Gerrit
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline ddmckee54

« Reply #155 on: January 30, 2020, 09:03:31 PM »
When I was designing my cooling fan duct for my D6, to replace the stock fan that might as well not have been there, I stumbled across a video of a guy testing his cooling fan using a shallow pan of water on his print bed.  You could see the ripples from the cooling air in the water.  It'd be interesting to see where the focal point of that duct is.

One of the problems that I found when using a fan duct like that, was that if you were printing a small part the cooling fan didn't help a lot because the cooling air didn't actually hit the part.

Don

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #156 on: January 30, 2020, 10:12:54 PM »
I printed this for my Ender 3 Pro. It has some great description of the airflow. Good results

Gerrit
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline JC54

« Reply #157 on: January 30, 2020, 10:46:12 PM »
 Back out of the rabbit hole. Thanks for the comment Gerrit. I finally got the missing bits printed for the fan duct but found that I cannot use it on my printer. It hits the heating block however I try to fit it. I have now printed off a very simple fan duct that just blows from the front.
       I have not tried it yet as I found bearings missing in X axis belt tensioner!!!!! Waiting for some bearings before I waste any more PLA.
      I know PLA is supposed to not emit fumes or smell but with my severely damaged lungs it does get to me. Started getting parts together for an "Ikea Lack enclosure" so that printer can go into the garage/workshop out of my study, computer, brew house, room. Oh well back down the rabbit hole..  John  :DrinkPint: :DrinkPint: :old:

Offline ddmckee54

« Reply #158 on: January 31, 2020, 07:08:52 PM »
John:

PLA does indeed have an odor when printing.  It's just that since PLA is plant based, most people don't find the odor as offensive as ABS or the other petroleum based plastic filaments.  When my wife was still alive, she was very sensitive to odors, I doubt that I would have been able to have a 3D printer in the HOUSE, let alone the living room.

Maybe you could build fume hood for your printer using a bathroom or kitchen exhaust fan to vent the fumes somewhere else?   (I know, I know - another 3D printer rabbit hole.)

Don

Offline JC54

« Reply #159 on: January 31, 2020, 09:09:31 PM »
Thanks for the comments Don. I did think about an extractor fan but as there is more space in the garage ( centrally heated insulated etc.). It would free up my home brew bench as well!!!!! :lolb: In the enclosure that I am making it will keep clean and better if I try ABS.  John :DrinkPint: :DrinkPint: :old:

Offline JC54

« Reply #160 on: February 25, 2020, 07:40:42 PM »
Just a quick update on the cheap as chips printer. As Jo did I have added quite a few mods, decent bearings and 8mm rods, replaced some of the 5mm plywood with 10mm aluminium. I printed out motor support for Y axis along with tensioner and bearing saddles. The toothed belt now runs parallel not at odd angles. Great improvements in quality and reliability. I had trouble saving sliced files to a SD card so I could run printer without being connected to computer. Upgrade of Cura software fixed this problem. hopefully below are pics of printer as it now is and a couple of parts for a steam lorry differential that I drew up in CAD to check dimensions and fit etc.   :old: :DrinkPint: :cheers:  John

Offline JC54

« Reply #161 on: February 25, 2020, 07:42:31 PM »
Oh well back down the rabbit hole.. :old:

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #162 on: February 25, 2020, 07:54:01 PM »
Your parts looks great! I like the "jet inlet" fan cover. When do you fit an afterburner?  :Lol:   :cheers:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #163 on: February 25, 2020, 07:58:48 PM »
 8)

Any chance of links to the files for all those useful parts you printed off for yourself John?

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline JC54

« Reply #164 on: February 25, 2020, 08:26:27 PM »
 The afterburner is already fitted. Problem is it takes too much home brew to run it. :DrinkPint: :DrinkPint:
    I will dig out links to the mods tomorrow and post them Jo. All of the printed mods were found on Thingiverse. It is amazing how many files are on Thingiverse, almost if you cannot find it on there you don't really need it. I have also found a lot of useful things on grabcad. Both sites well worth a look. One thing with thingiverse pick your time to look at it, try when youngsters are at school or it is terribly slow.  Back down my Rabbit Hole, :old: John

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal