Author Topic: 3D printer - cheap as chips  (Read 20989 times)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: 3D printer - cheap as chips
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2020, 10:12:56 AM »
The print of the 25mm cube took 1 hour, it says this one will take over 5 hours  :o

Jo

What was that you were saying about CNC taking a long time :lolb:

Hopefully you will soon be able to leave it to its own devices and get a bit of workshop time in while things are printing before you forget what castings feel like ;)

Offline jadge

• Cambridge, UK
« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2020, 10:20:23 AM »
I use a Pritt stick on the heated bedplate to hold parts during printing. Works well, and once the bedplate has cooled after printing a light knock is enough to remove the print.

Andrew

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2020, 10:23:13 AM »
Thanks Andrew,

I did wonder about adding a sheet of glass (I acquired a bit). I am assuming the lifting this morning was my fault for not fully warming the bed. I wonder if it might be worth giving it a quilt while it warms  :thinking:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline jadge

• Cambridge, UK
« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2020, 11:12:09 AM »
Ah, my printer does have a glass plate for the heated bedplate as standard. Over time they degrade and get scratched and chipped. I replaced mine last year, but that was after probably about a 1000 hours of printing.

Andrew

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2020, 06:01:38 PM »
Thanks Andrew  :) I might have to plan to fit the glass plates then  (and have to re-level the bed  ::) )

The just over 5 hour print took 6 hours 10 mins. The end of the print that had not properly stuck resulted in that end being warped but the whole is not unusable. The print head does not "hit" the print if it does not stick as the bed is mounted on springs so effectively the bed gives to prevent any damage.

I intentionally made the holes for the collets 12.5mm rather than the needed 12mm and it is a tight fit, a 13mm hole would probably be better. But I think it was a good learning task. I might try it again using a Prit stick as Andrew suggested to see if it improves matters. 

In the end collet holder weighs in at 35grams so 1Kg of filament is going to go a long way. I also tried hand filing the cube from yesterday and I can report that the PLA can be filed flat and polished to get rid of the printing marks  8)

Jo

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2020, 07:00:23 PM »
Nice result.  Whats a 'Prit stick'?  Sounds like something they use to keep MP's in line in Parliament...

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2020, 07:03:06 PM »
Nice result.  Whats a 'Prit stick'?  Sounds like something they use to keep MP's in line in Parliament...

glue stick (UHU and Elmer's are other brands. looks like a lipstick or lip gloss thingie)
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2020, 07:05:12 PM »

glue stick (UHU and Elmer's are other brands. looks like a lipstick or lip gloss thingie)
Ah - thanks!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2020, 07:16:46 PM »
Surus has been playing with the printer  :ShakeHead: I now have Elephant footprints all over it :facepalm:

The areas with the Pritstick does seem to be harder to get off but I still have the rafts not sticking properly so it might be time for the sheet of glass

Jo

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2020, 07:57:22 PM »
I don't understand the comments about 'rafts'.
When I earlier mentioned a 'dam', I was talking about the printer laying down an outline of the part first. Near the part to be printed but not touching it.
The purpose being to ensure extrusion has started. The dam is typically not a full outline as it takes a little bit before the extrusion actually begins.

I imagine you took into account the thickness of the tape. I'm not sure it's needed but I notice the tape got hit a couple of times.

Glass will be good. Even then you may need the tape. Some people use hairspray.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline jadge

• Cambridge, UK
« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2020, 08:00:03 PM »
Sounds like something they use to keep MP's in line in Parliament...

I'd be using an AK47........to 'thank' them for three wasted years.

Andrew

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2020, 08:03:32 PM »
Hi Zee   :-*

I don't understand the comments about 'rafts'.
When I earlier mentioned a 'dam', I was talking about the printer laying down an outline of the part first. Near the part to be printed but not touching it. The purpose being to ensure extrusion has started.

I call the band around the part a raft. I understand that it is there to provide extra adhesion to the printer bed. I would understand a dam as something that is around the part but not part of it  :noidea:

Jo

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2020, 08:31:46 PM »
The band around the part is called a "skirt" or "brim".  A "raft" is a sacrificial layer under the entire part that needs to be mechanically removed after the part is printed.  A raft is used to level up an uneven print bed, and a skirt is used to get more surface area for better adhesion.

Regarding your part lifting during a 5 hour print, I had the same problem.  It's usually not the part lifting off the tape, it's the part pulling the tape off the print bed.  There are peal'n'stick coverings you can get for your aluminum heated bed that will allow you to print directly on the heated bed. (With a little help from a glue stick or hair-spray.)  My Wanhao D6 clone came with one, and I'll get one for my I3 clone, if I ever go back to using it.  They ARE the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Don

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2020, 09:05:23 PM »
Thanks Don, all these terms are new to me  :)

Maybe I should try some hair spray  :thinking: or look more into the various types of tape

They ARE the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I bake my own bread and wouldn't touch the shop brought soggy taste less sliced stuff   ::)

Jo

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2020, 09:23:37 PM »
You don't like the greatest thing since sliced bread, how about the greatest thing since chocolate?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal