Author Topic: Chris's Build of a Stanley 735 Engine  (Read 45240 times)

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
Re: Chris's Build of a Stanley 735 Engine
« Reply #510 on: February 24, 2020, 02:49:17 AM »
CNC...............you don't need no stinkin CNC!  :ThumbsUp: Well except for the "Count Number Cranks" type of CNC!  :)

Well done.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #511 on: February 24, 2020, 03:09:19 AM »
CNC...............you don't need no stinkin CNC!  :ThumbsUp: Well except for the "Count Number Cranks" type of CNC!  :)

Well done.

Jim
:cheers:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #512 on: February 24, 2020, 06:34:58 PM »
This morning got a start on the forked lever that moves the slide links for the reverse gear. Started with a chunk of stainless flat bar, and drilled the holes to locate things first.

Then started milling out the fork and the indented sides...

More on it later - first the flex cable I ordered in to connect up the motors on the excavator arrived, and I'm going to play on that project for a while!

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #513 on: February 24, 2020, 07:32:03 PM »
Looks good Chris! You milled the fork out of that block!  >ahem<  :embarassed:  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #514 on: February 24, 2020, 08:26:00 PM »
Looks good Chris! You milled the fork out of that block!  >ahem<  :embarassed: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Careful!   :o

:Lol:

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #515 on: February 24, 2020, 09:32:19 PM »
I’ve been working so hard on my own project that I’ve been away from MEM for a few days.  Today I’m getting ‘caught up’ and I half expected you to have this project done by now and halfway through the next project  :embarassed: but alas, I only had six pages to read through to get ‘caught up’.

I’m seeing some great work along with and a few tiny, biddy little parts.  This is a great fascinating  priject Chris, can’t wait to see the conclusion.
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #516 on: February 24, 2020, 09:49:40 PM »
I’ve been working so hard on my own project that I’ve been away from MEM for a few days.  Today I’m getting ‘caught up’ and I half expected you to have this project done by now and halfway through the next project  :embarassed: but alas, I only had six pages to read through to get ‘caught up’.

I’m seeing some great work along with and a few tiny, biddy little parts.  This is a great fascinating  priject Chris, can’t wait to see the conclusion.
Thanks Craig! It might be running by now if I wasn't working on the submarine and the excavator too...  :embarassed:

Was looking ahead to whats left, and after the control links for the reverse gear, the parts list is not too long - crankshaft, drive gear, eccentrics/followers, crank arms, con rods, and crankshaft bearing blocks (will have some ball bearing races). The crankshaft is fairly straightforward since the crank arms attach to the ends rather than being turned in. Also noted in the plans that the drive gear and the two inner eccentrics are all one piece - slick setup.  Guess I should be doing more research on the Mann steam trucks, it may not be all that far off!

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #517 on: February 25, 2020, 04:08:08 AM »
Another great episode of ............"Chris's Carve-a-Part"! :ThumbsUp:

Gotta hop over to that other forum and check out your progress on the excavator.

:cheers: Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #518 on: February 25, 2020, 03:00:50 PM »
More carving on the control yoke, went back to the tried and true method of rounding over sections with a drill bit through the hole to keep the part at the same height when clamping in the vise at different angles:

and other end

flattening out the middle and clamp end

trimmed off the clamp end

milling done, ready for hand work

used a jewelers saw to cut a slot through the clamp end, so the screw (which is clearance drilled through to the slot) can compress the end to hold it on the pivot rod, then spent some time with carbide and diamond dental burs in a high speed handpiece to round off the corners and do the final shaping.

That all went well, next will make the rods that go inside the yoke and down to the ends of the slide links...

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #519 on: February 25, 2020, 03:42:54 PM »
Really nice shaping work on the control yoke Chris.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #520 on: February 25, 2020, 07:30:13 PM »
Bit more 'carving' this afternoon, turned the pivot bar for the control arm, and had the shop elves pet mini-goat 'Gruffy' nibble out the lever/quadrant for the end:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #521 on: February 25, 2020, 08:07:04 PM »
Silver soldered the lever and quadrant onto the control rod and tube:

After they are cleaned up in the pickle solution, will turn off the nut that is holding the lever in place for now. The tube fits into the first post on the crossmember, and the rod slides through the tube, through the yoke arm, and the second post. A nut on the far side of the second post holds the rod in position but lets it rotate.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #522 on: February 25, 2020, 10:35:36 PM »
Still with you Dog and love the results so far. ........ :Love:

:drinking-41:
Don

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #523 on: February 26, 2020, 03:58:02 PM »
Still with you Dog and love the results so far. ........ :Love:

:drinking-41:
Don
:wine1:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #524 on: February 26, 2020, 04:00:27 PM »
Here are the parts from yesterday after cleaning up...

and got the blanks for the links that run from the yoke down to the slide links silver soldered up, ready for shaping. The rods at the ends were drilled first, will be trimmed to final length after cleanup. They were soldered up together to hold things aligned, will saw out between the bars to separate the two links.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal