Author Topic: Chris's Build of a Stanley 735 Engine  (Read 45295 times)

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
Re: Chris's Build of a Stanley 735 Engine
« Reply #480 on: February 20, 2020, 08:13:42 PM »
Hello Chris,

Still following along on this build, boy that is a complicated design.  :ThumbsUp:

If you build the Dump Truck, then you will also have to build that little Marion Dragline...... :LittleDevil:

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #481 on: February 20, 2020, 08:56:07 PM »
Hello Chris,

Still following along on this build, boy that is a complicated design.  :ThumbsUp:

If you build the Dump Truck, then you will also have to build that little Marion Dragline...... :LittleDevil:

Have a great day,
Thomas
And the rock crusher, and the conveyor, ....  Gonna need more shelves!

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #482 on: February 20, 2020, 09:52:56 PM »
Hello Chris,

Have a great day,
Thomas

Hello again Chris,

OK not a problem, just send me all those items that are in your way and I will be most happy to store them for you  :naughty: :mischief:

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #483 on: February 20, 2020, 10:07:15 PM »
Hello Chris,

Have a great day,
Thomas

Hello again Chris,

OK not a problem, just send me all those items that are in your way and I will be most happy to store them for you  :naughty: :mischief:

Have a great day,
Thomas
I walked into that one!   :ROFL:

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #484 on: February 21, 2020, 11:25:07 AM »
Hi Chris,
I follow all your work and have commented on the quality of the work that you do with the machines you have so here's some questions for you.
I know you like working with 303 stainless steel, that's my preferred metal also when working with stainless. What is the largest end mill that you use when cutting it and how deep of a cut can you make?
Do you find the Sherline tools rigid enough for making smooth cuts or do you have to baby them to get what you want?
Do you do most of your cutting conventionally or can you make climb cuts acceptably?
Once again, really impressed with the uniqueness and quality of your work.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #485 on: February 21, 2020, 02:14:28 PM »
Hi George,
I use the 3/8" end mill holders from Sherline, so that is the largest diameter that I normally use - though I do have one holder set up for 1/2" to take larger shank corner rounding bits. I have a range of mills, from 1/8" to 3/8" diameter, use all of them on the 303 stainless.

The depth of cut depends - not sure the proper terms, so I'll call the vertical component deep/shallow, and the horizontal component width. It can take a full width cut as long as it is shallow, and a full depth cut as long as it is not too wide, in the .050 or .100 range at most. More than that and it will chatter. It will do narrow climb cuts fine, and I normally finish off with a climb pass back at same settings as the last normal cut to smooth the finish. When going to a critical dimension, that gets important since repeating the cut at same setting will take off that last thou or two while leaving a nice smooth finish. If I need to do a wider climb cut, I do need to tighten down the gibs and locks to control the backlash on the mill table. I've modified the long axis handwheel to get the backlash on it down to a thou from the normal 5 or so to help with that. The Sherline CAN do big stock, but it doesn't like to do it in one big bite, especially with the taller column and the headstock spacer in since it is not as rigid as a big machine.
Hope thats not too many qualifications and non-specifics, a lot I do by sound and watching the cut to adjust speeds and feed rates on the fly.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #486 on: February 21, 2020, 03:52:18 PM »
Good sequence of operations Chris. Even with your longer mill table it looks like it was pushing the limits for length.

What is the chuck in the tail stock on your mill set up? Looks interesting.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #487 on: February 21, 2020, 04:08:27 PM »
Good sequence of operations Chris. Even with your longer mill table it looks like it was pushing the limits for length.

Jim
The tailstock on the mill is Sherline's mill tailstock.   ::)   How's that for circular logic?
The part is here on their website:
https://www.sherline.com/product/3702-adjustable-right-angle-tailstock/
It is set up for matching the rotab when its on the vertical adapter, handy to keep long parts supported.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #488 on: February 21, 2020, 04:24:28 PM »

Jim
The tailstock on the mill is Sherline's mill tailstock.   ::)   How's that for circular logic?
It is set up for matching the rotab when its on the vertical adapter, handy to keep long parts supported.

Yes, I've got that tailstock for my mill as well. In fact, I'm going to be using it in my setup for doing some milling on the Frame for my PMR #5 build. What I was curious about is the chuck you have IN the tail stock................looks interesting and I don't want to miss out on some neat new tool!  :thinking:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #489 on: February 21, 2020, 05:15:47 PM »

Jim

Yes, I've got that tailstock for my mill as well. In fact, I'm going to be using it in my setup for doing some milling on the Frame for my PMR #5 build. What I was curious about is the chuck you have IN the tail stock................looks interesting and I don't want to miss out on some neat new tool!  :thinking:

Jim
Oh! Sorry, that is a live center that I picked up a while back. It has a larger spinning cone than the normal one, so it will fit in a larger hole, and the body is a bit heavier duty too. I don't recall where I got it, someplace online. LMS has one like it, but not in the 0MT taper.

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #490 on: February 21, 2020, 05:59:16 PM »
Hello Chris,

Have a great day,
Thomas
  Forget about the shelves, you are gonna need more elves, not only that but you'll need to find room for another fridge for their booze.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #491 on: February 21, 2020, 06:51:14 PM »
Hello Chris,

Have a great day,
Thomas
  Forget about the shelves, you are gonna need more elves, not only that but you'll need to find room for another fridge for their booze.
Sigh, expanding a business is such a pain in the swarf!   :Lol:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #492 on: February 21, 2020, 06:57:28 PM »
More work on the crosshead guide rails today - continued milling in the sides of the blank to form the left/right sides. As it broke through into the core passage, I left metal at the right end to avoid hitting the tailstock support and also to keep the tailstock from pushing the ends apart.

Then took off the tailstock, and used a smaller mill to trim off the outer ends

Here are the parts sawn off the bar, ready for trimming to length and profiling in the sides.

Here is one held up to the engine to show where they will be going...

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #493 on: February 21, 2020, 07:19:20 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #494 on: February 21, 2020, 09:58:14 PM »
Thanks CNR!
Got the shop elves pet goat to nibble away on the crosshead guide rails, taking the sides down to profile a pass at a time, starting too get the right shape. Still need to drill/tap the mounting holes for the bolts from the crossmembers.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal