Author Topic: Chris's Build of a Stanley 735 Engine  (Read 44329 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Build of a Stanley 735 Engine
« Reply #225 on: January 23, 2020, 07:47:25 PM »
This afternoon saw the piston rod glands drilled/counterbored for the bushings and gland. There will be a bronze guide tube inside the gland, with an o-ring at the outer end for a seal.

Then sized and threaded the outside of the glands for the packing nuts:

This completes the shaping on the cylinder block, just need to lap/polish the cylinder/valve bores.   :whoohoo:

Some shots of the parts so far:

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #226 on: January 23, 2020, 10:21:49 PM »
Exquisite Work, i just love how this has unfolded with amazement. Did I say ...........I............Like........... :Love:

:drinking-41:
Don

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #227 on: January 23, 2020, 10:48:31 PM »
Could this “casting” possibly get any busier?  Great work Chris.  :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #228 on: January 23, 2020, 11:14:53 PM »
I can sort of see the relunctance to add the chassis et.al. Who would want to hide that gem?
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #229 on: January 24, 2020, 01:42:01 AM »
Wonderful work on that 'casting' Chris! All that experience carving really shines!
Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #230 on: January 24, 2020, 01:50:42 AM »
Exquisite Work, i just love how this has unfolded with amazement. Did I say ...........I............Like........... :Love:

:drinking-41:
Don

Thanks Don, I am having a lot of fun with this one.

Could this “casting” possibly get any busier?  Great work Chris.  :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Well, yes, it will! Gland nuts on the rods, intake and exhaust manifolds on the sides...!  The base on these is pretty unusual, a set of four rods with cross plates, and it gets a full Stephenson linkage too. LOTS of stuff to go on this engine.

I can sort of see the relunctance to add the chassis et.al. Who would want to hide that gem?

Yeah, the actual car version has a sheet metal shell around most of it to hold in the oil. Much rather have it open. Have to see if I can find some quarter scale wire wheels...

Wonderful work on that 'casting' Chris! All that experience carving really shines!
Kim
Thank you Kim, had to put guards on it to make sure that Surus didn't bribe my elves to mail it to him!

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #231 on: January 24, 2020, 02:51:31 AM »
Chris..............when you get to the "lap/polish the cylinder/valve bores" would you mind throwing in a little detail on how you do it? I'm going to need to do that on my P & W build when I get back to it and I'm still a little (ok a lot  :facepalm2: )  vague on the process.

Thanks, Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #232 on: January 24, 2020, 03:13:33 AM »
Chris..............when you get to the "lap/polish the cylinder/valve bores" would you mind throwing in a little detail on how you do it? I'm going to need to do that on my P & W build when I get back to it and I'm still a little (ok a lot  :facepalm2: )  vague on the process.

Thanks, Jim
Absolutely. Lots of ways to do it, I usually do a simple setup with a close fitting blank and diamond paste, will show pictures. Should be the next couple of days.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #233 on: January 24, 2020, 05:27:02 PM »
Got to the lapping stage this morning. Now, the boring operation left a pretty good finish, so not much was needed from that. But, cutting the ports and passages left some burs around the openings that needed smoothing back down, and there were some nicks and scrapes from all the machining and clamping with the arbor. So, it was worth doing a bit of lapping on the cylinder and valve bores, could feel the bumps running a fingertip down the bores.

Started with the cylinders - the arbor used to hold them for machining was a ready-made lapping rod, already a nice sliding fit. Also, being brass, it is softer than the steel cylinder walls. When I was tought to sharpen chisels years ago by a master boatbuilder, the method was to start on a diamond lapping plate (the type with permenantly embedded grit), then move to diamond pastes of finer grits on a smooth steel plate. He said to use a softer steel plate, so the grit would embed/be held in the surface, and grind away at the harder chisel surface. The most readily available material was to buy a low-end block plane from the hardware store, cheap, with a nice flat sole plate that was softer steel. Anyway, same theory applies here, the brass will hold the grit for the lapping. The paste I have came in a set of plastic syringes, each with a different grit (usually expressed in microns, I think). With the paste spread on the rod, with a little oil to get it to spread out better, I spun the chuck by hand at first to get the paste spread around and to make sure the bore would not grab and spind it out of my hand. Then, turned on the motor at low speed, hand on switch just in case, and worked the part back and forth, letting the paste do its work. Stopped once in a while to add more paste and a few drops of oil to keep a slurry going. I was not looking to remove a lot of material, just smooth off the burs and any deeper tool marks.

Started looking like this:

Here it is partway along (tough to get pictures of the difference). No, the threads were not worn away, just the way the light flared on them that made them go away in the photo! The black blob in the lower right of the bore is one of the ports.

Then did the same on the valve bore, which has burs from milling the passages into it. This one does not need to be super smooth since it will not have the valve riding on it, but I need to be able to get the valve sleeve down into it later.

After wiping all the surfaces down, swabbing out the passages, and doing it again with some degreaser spray, had the paste all cleaned off. Then, back on making more parts. Started with the plug in the top end cleanout for the valve bores.

Next want to make the intake/exhaust manifolds, then will do the gland nuts/sleeves...

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #234 on: January 24, 2020, 05:33:29 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #235 on: January 24, 2020, 07:34:28 PM »

And on to the manifolds. The intake is just a simple elbow, made it out of a off-the-shelf barbed tube fitting, trimmed and threaded one side.

The exhaust manifold is more complex, connecting the two ports to center pipes. Started with the cross-pipe in the middle, drilled through to take the pipe that connects the ports:

The ends of the main pipe go into square blocks on flanges that bolt to the ports. Started with some square bar, drilled holes part way through to match the pipe, off center since the top edge will be blended to the pipe after soldering:

then milled the block to thickness before cutting off the two ends:

The main pipe was made from a piece of bar stock, drilled through:

Here are the parts so far, ready for silver soldering and filing the ends to shape, then the flanges will be added. The cross pipe was drilled/tapped and shaped a bit. After soldering, the hole will be drilled through into the main pipe.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #236 on: January 24, 2020, 08:32:32 PM »
Good to see some solid gold parts going onto this build Chris!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: The elves must have returned all their empties to the beer store!  :Lol:  :cheers:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #237 on: January 24, 2020, 08:41:22 PM »
Good to see some solid gold parts going onto this build Chris!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: The elves must have returned all their empties to the beer store!  :Lol: :cheers:
Yeah, but they stole mine!   :Lol:

I've been missing working with brass, such nice stuff to machine. The original Stanley drawing called for brass for the manifold, so here we go!  Just got the four parts silver soldered, they need to cool and take a bath in the pickle before trimming the ends down.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #238 on: January 24, 2020, 10:10:31 PM »
Got the silver soldered parts cleaned up and milled the openings in the ends and started cleaning up the outer dimensions on the end blocks - had left them big so I didn't have to worry about things shifting diring soldering. Which they did a bit.

Here is the manifold milled to size, and the corners rounded on the sander - lots easier to do all this before attaching the flange plate. It is sitting on the blank for the flanges, have since soldered this on and it is bathing in pickle solution to clean it up. After the soak, will drill the mounting holes and mill out the shape of the two flanges at the ends, removing the center section of the plate.

The plate was cut slightly oversize, again to let me adjust the final fit after soldering. That way did not need any temporary pins or screws.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #239 on: January 25, 2020, 12:04:54 AM »
And closing out the work on the exhaust manifold for the day, here it is after pickling the solder joint to the mounting plate:

Sawed out the bulk of the material at the center of the plate, and trimmed it with a few passes of an end mill, it was ready to clamp in place for drilling. The holes already exist in the cover plate, so that makes a handy drill guide so no measuring/layout needed:

Drilled holes, ready for cleanup of the flange edge on the belt sander:

Test fit on the cylinder block (will be mounted with studs and nuts in final assembly):

Very nice days progress! Time for some popcorn with the elves....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal