Author Topic: Chris's Build of a Stanley 735 Engine  (Read 44322 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Build of a Stanley 735 Engine
« Reply #195 on: January 19, 2020, 10:45:43 PM »
Someone sent me this picture, next project maybe?  Full scale would be a lot of fun!

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #196 on: January 19, 2020, 10:58:22 PM »
What could possibly go wrong with the side impellers?  (he said, knowingly)  :Lol:

Fixed neighbours' newer cheap snowblowers and blew snow with my ancient but working one all day Saturday here. About 10" (254 mm official Canadian units). Light in the morning, heavy as lead in the afternoon.
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #197 on: January 20, 2020, 12:12:12 AM »
What could possibly go wrong with the side impellers?  (he said, knowingly)  :Lol:

Fixed neighbours' newer cheap snowblowers and blew snow with my ancient but working one all day Saturday here. About 10" (254 mm official Canadian units). Light in the morning, heavy as lead in the afternoon.
More fun than chasing someone with a Zamboni....! 

Despite all the dire predictions, things here did not get too bad, only about 4" of crusty snow, did not bother to blow out the driveway, it will be melted in two days anyway, and the AWD car will go over it fine.

Offline rspringer

« Reply #198 on: January 20, 2020, 12:21:37 AM »
That snow plow could even go on the shay.  You could make it interchangeable. 

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #199 on: January 20, 2020, 12:28:48 AM »
That snow plow could even go on the shay.  You could make it interchangeable.
It WOULD be a fun attachment....
I assume they had a power take-off from the truck engine?

The guys up in Maine want a real one to plow the driveway into the museum (a mile of dirt road through the woods).

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #200 on: January 20, 2020, 03:16:42 AM »

Despite all the dire predictions, things here did not get too bad, only about 4" of crusty snow, did not bother to blow out the driveway, it will be melted in two days anyway, and the AWD car will go over it fine.

That's amazing. Watching the news tonight, it looked like you were getting hammered and would of needed that snow plow!  :thinking:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #201 on: January 20, 2020, 03:44:22 AM »

That's amazing. Watching the news tonight, it looked like you were getting hammered and would of needed that snow plow!  :thinking:

Jim
With Lake Erie to the west and Lake Ontario to the north, it only takes a slight change in wind or storm track direction to make a huge difference in the snow. Years ago the head of the local National Weather Service office transfered out to Kansas, he came back a year later because he was bored at how easy the forecasts were by comparison! The lake effect here can cause bands of rain or snow in narrow strips, the snowmobiling at the east end of the lake is legendary, some houses put doors on the upper storey. Couple miles away, bare ground.

Offline tghs

« Reply #202 on: January 20, 2020, 04:02:55 AM »
I was stationed up at Alexandria bay for a few years, Watertown was going to hold a winter carnival, it was cancelled do to excessive snow..
what the @#&% over

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #203 on: January 20, 2020, 07:59:13 PM »
Back working on the Stanley today - got a start on the first of the valve glands, turned out out of some 303 stainless. The flange in the center needs to be shaped still, got the outer end shaped, drilled, tapped:

Here is the inside, they tapered it to help direct the steam from the center of the valve sleeve out to the exhaust port apparently.

Will do the other one to this point, then set them up on the rotary table for shaping the flange and drilling mounting holes.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #204 on: January 20, 2020, 11:14:14 PM »
Back working on the Stanley today - got a start on the first of the valve glands, turned out out of some 303 stainless.

Slowing down? Surely not!  ;D

I caught one of your elves in my shop today. He (or was it a she?) kept trying to hit the 'add to cart' button.
While safer than hitting the 'go to checkout button' I couldn't take the chance and kicked him/her out into the snow.

I'll hit those buttons in a week or so.  ;D
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #205 on: January 20, 2020, 11:28:44 PM »
Back working on the Stanley today - got a start on the first of the valve glands, turned out out of some 303 stainless.

Slowing down? Surely not!  ;D

I caught one of your elves in my shop today. He (or was it a she?) kept trying to hit the 'add to cart' button.
While safer than hitting the 'go to checkout button' I couldn't take the chance and kicked him/her out into the snow.

I'll hit those buttons in a week or so.  ;D
:Lol:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #206 on: January 21, 2020, 09:30:04 PM »
A little time in the shop this morning, started shaping down the flanges on the valve glands on the rotary table:

Parts so far, still need to round the ends/sides, and drill the mounting screw holes:

Interesting how they turned them to one side to get them into a smaller space. These glands will only hold the pressure of the exhaust steam. There will be nuts in the center to hold in the packing.

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #207 on: January 21, 2020, 09:34:11 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: I just love looking at the stuff you make - totally top shelf.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #208 on: January 21, 2020, 09:36:03 PM »
:ThumbsUp: I just love looking at the stuff you make - totally top shelf.
Thanks Stuart, much appreciated!

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #209 on: January 21, 2020, 10:08:05 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal