Author Topic: Chris's Build of a Stanley 735 Engine  (Read 45231 times)

Offline cnr6400

Re: Chris's Build of a Stanley 735 Engine
« Reply #180 on: January 18, 2020, 12:41:46 AM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #182 on: January 18, 2020, 12:32:41 PM »
Chris,
Beautiful metal sculpturing!
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #183 on: January 18, 2020, 01:44:04 PM »
Meticulous work as always Chris.  :cheers:

Nice to have a warm place to work in the cold weather.
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #184 on: January 18, 2020, 05:26:08 PM »
Thanks guys! Nasty storm moving through here today and tomorrow, great time to stay in the shop and play.
This morning got the slots for the steam passages milled in, these go from the valve sleeve ports over to the cylinder ends.

To drill the connecting passages up to the cylinder ends, I drew on the desired locations for the ports to use in sighting the angles and locations, then milled a starter hole with a 1/8" end mill:

followed by drilling through the rest of the way with a 1/8" drill

That completes the passages successfully  :cartwheel: so time for a couple of family shots of all the parts:

cover plate on:

other side,

and the bottom, showing the valve bores:

So, next step: make up the valve glands, so I can drill the mount holes in the base to match, and mill the bosses around the glands. That will finish up shaping work on the cylinder block so the piston bores can be lapped, and work can start on shaping the surface of the cover plate. The cylinder block is down to about 1.2 pounds, long way from the 5 pound bar it started as!

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #185 on: January 18, 2020, 05:53:17 PM »
Great work, Chris!
Love the beauty shots.  You've cut that chunk of metal down a lot for sure!  It's lost over 75% in weight!
Kim

Offline petertha

« Reply #186 on: January 18, 2020, 06:44:56 PM »
Beautiful work.

I just wanted to mention that OnLineMetals now carries Durabar
https://www.onlinemetals.com/en/buy/cast-iron-round-bar

They never previously carried any cast iron so this is a good thing. I don't have a lot of experience with Class-40 but it seemed to cut & finish OK on my cylinder liner tester. I bought enough Class-40 to do my radial engine so that's settled, but for future projects I think I want to try Durabar. It was a double win because Speedy is net more expensive to me (in Canada) as their material prices can be a bit higher  than OLM but the (UPS courier only option) transport costs are killer. If you live in this States all this is a moot point, but just pointing out to others who might be reading.

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #187 on: January 18, 2020, 06:57:58 PM »
That is just spectacular machining - really amazing how you’ve carved that block of material.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #188 on: January 18, 2020, 07:17:14 PM »
Beautiful work.

They never previously carried any cast iron so this is a good thing. I don't have a lot of experience with Class-40 but it seemed to cut & finish OK on my cylinder liner tester. I bought enough Class-40 to do my radial engine so that's settled, but for future projects I think I want to try Durabar. It was a double win because Speedy is net more expensive to me (in Canada) as their material prices can be a bit higher  than OLM but the (UPS courier only option) transport costs are killer. If you live in this States all this is a moot point, but just pointing out to others who might be reading.
I looked at the Durabar there, choked on the price though. The class-40 from speedy metals was 1/10th the cost, so I am starting with that and will see how it goes. Amazing how the prices vary place to place, and the shipping goes from reasonable to crazy too.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #189 on: January 18, 2020, 07:19:32 PM »
Great work, Chris!
Love the beauty shots.  You've cut that chunk of metal down a lot for sure!  It's lost over 75% in weight!
Kim
Thanks Kim, and I am very happy with how the sandblasting changes the look too. Not as rough as I was hopign for, but it takes away those shiny toolmarks very well (with some filing and sanding too), makes it look more like a gray painted finish. A couple times I reached over for the 3D printed plastic one, also gray, grabbed the metal one by mistake, and almost dropped it on my foot!

Offline petertha

« Reply #190 on: January 18, 2020, 07:46:48 PM »
>I looked at the Durabar there, choked on the price though. The class-40 from speedy metals was 1/10th the cost, so I am starting with that and will see how it goes.

Yes, in 1.25" diameter I was looking at, Class-40 Rd Grey cast iron via Speedy is 18.95 USD/ft. Durabar via OLM is 46.11 USD/ft. The transport all-in cost brought the numbers closer but its still expensive stuff. Another thing I noticed Speedy has an excellent selection of rectangular Class-40 for similar $/weight cost metrics whereas Durabar $ is stratospheric, not even worth discussing. Maybe that's where you were getting the 1/10 factor. Sorry for the sidebar diversion.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #191 on: January 18, 2020, 08:20:52 PM »
>I looked at the Durabar there, choked on the price though. The class-40 from speedy metals was 1/10th the cost, so I am starting with that and will see how it goes.

Yes, in 1.25" diameter I was looking at, Class-40 Rd Grey cast iron via Speedy is 18.95 USD/ft. Durabar via OLM is 46.11 USD/ft. The transport all-in cost brought the numbers closer but its still expensive stuff. Another thing I noticed Speedy has an excellent selection of rectangular Class-40 for similar $/weight cost metrics whereas Durabar $ is stratospheric, not even worth discussing. Maybe that's where you were getting the 1/10 factor. Sorry for the sidebar diversion.
At online metals the 5/8" durabar was over $70 for a foot. Crazy. Especially since I only need about 3”. The class 40 was $7.

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #192 on: January 18, 2020, 11:32:36 PM »
Beautiful work.

UPS (United Pirate Services) Charges brokerage fees on everything they bring north of the border, even on tariff free items. If a company can't ship to me by USPS I don't order from them.
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Offline rspringer

« Reply #193 on: January 19, 2020, 05:31:08 AM »
Chris, online metals only sells durabar in 72 inch lengths.  So 70 bucks is not unrealistic.  But shipping would be high especially if you only needed a couple of inches.  The accountant (bean counter) in me. Sorry
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 05:35:19 AM by rspringer »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #194 on: January 19, 2020, 01:14:12 PM »
Chris, online metals only sells durabar in 72 inch lengths.  So 70 bucks is not unrealistic.  But shipping would be high especially if you only needed a couple of inches.  The accountant (bean counter) in me. Sorry
Ah, I missed that bit, that makes a lot more sense!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal