Author Topic: Chris's Build of a Stanley 735 Engine  (Read 44302 times)

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
Re: Chris's Build of a Stanley 735 Engine
« Reply #120 on: January 13, 2020, 09:49:10 PM »
The work in this thread is humbling. But inspiring as well.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #121 on: January 13, 2020, 10:15:57 PM »
Beautiful work Chris.  I'm still following along.  :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #122 on: January 13, 2020, 11:10:42 PM »
I missed the business of the little sandblaster (airbrush). Can you point me to that?

...Used to be just Zee... sigh... Time to send out more opera-yodeling/kazoo-playing elves!   :ROFL:

I wish they would leave. They just sit around expecting cookies...and the incidence of "where did I put that" has gone up.

I can't recall if you said...are you planning a chassis around that thing? And wheels?  ;D
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #123 on: January 13, 2020, 11:39:05 PM »
I missed the business of the little sandblaster (airbrush). Can you point me to that?

...Used to be just Zee... sigh... Time to send out more opera-yodeling/kazoo-playing elves!   :ROFL:

I wish they would leave. They just sit around expecting cookies...and the incidence of "where did I put that" has gone up.

I can't recall if you said...are you planning a chassis around that thing? And wheels?  ;D
Hi Zee,

This is the little sandblaster, got it several years ago. Runs okay, it blasts a very small pattern, like a airbrush. I got it for removing paint and decals on train cars, works on metal too. Not removing much, but does knock off fine toolmarks. It works best with its hopper mostly full.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A031COU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Your shop elves sound like they are bored waiting for your shoulder to heal up and start work.

I am not planning on making the rest of the car, at 1/4 size it would be huge. Fun, but huge. My shoulders couldn't do that either!

:cheers:

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #124 on: January 14, 2020, 03:54:16 AM »
Hi Chris,
 No bolts long enuff, so expanding arbour works for me!

Nice work on the threading, those guys that power thread just don’t know the joy of hand threading!

At this rate you’ll have all of us exhausted & a running engine by the end of the month!

Zee, what do we want to see next?

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #125 on: January 14, 2020, 04:18:29 AM »

This is the little sandblaster, got it several years ago. Runs okay, it blasts a very small pattern, like a airbrush. I got it for removing paint and decals on train cars, works on metal too. Not removing much, but does knock off fine toolmarks. It works best with its hopper mostly full.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A031COU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Well............ that's just great!  :thinking: Something else to add to my already bulging Amazon Wishlist. I have a bigger sandblaster, but I really like the looks of this one for small areas.  :)

Did I  mention that I'm a really strong willed person? I've always been able to resist anything..........................except temptation!  :lolb:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #126 on: January 14, 2020, 05:27:36 PM »
Since you got the little sandblaster several years ago, how much have you used it and how's the nozzle been holding up?

Sandblaster nozzles are usually considered to be a consumable item, the same as MIG and plasma cutter tips.

Don

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #127 on: January 14, 2020, 05:59:28 PM »
Still following along  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: I like the threading setup  :praise2:

I have taken Note of the music comments but am not sure I like the Tone of the conversation   :toilet_claw:  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #128 on: January 14, 2020, 07:30:49 PM »
Since you got the little sandblaster several years ago, how much have you used it and how's the nozzle been holding up?

Sandblaster nozzles are usually considered to be a consumable item, the same as MIG and plasma cutter tips.

Don
It probably only has an hour or two of use on it, nozzle is fine so far. Have had to unscrew it a couple of times to clear an oversized piece of sand but looks okay still. I run it off my main compressor, it came with connection for airbrush one.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #129 on: January 14, 2020, 07:31:20 PM »
Still following along  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: I like the threading setup  :praise2:

I have taken Note of the music comments but am not sure I like the Tone of the conversation   :toilet_claw: :wine1:
That comment rings a bell...   :Lol:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #130 on: January 14, 2020, 10:32:20 PM »
This afternoon saw some more shop time, got started on the cylinder top end caps. It was a bit of a guesstimate as to what diameter to start the threads at since the internal threads were not done with a tap, but it came out pretty close. The first one needed to be taken down below the point where the cutter was making full-depth cuts and the peaks of the threads went sharp. So, on the second one I took the blank down that extra 8 thou and it worked out quite well. The cap works on either side, so I know that at least the internal threads were done consistantly - this should make doing the bottom caps with the piston rod guides go easier. Here is the first cap blank being threaded:

and at the point where it screwed into place:

Second one went much faster:

Tomorrow I will likely do the same for the blanks on the bottom end of the cylinder, then start shaping the caps and part them off to length.

Offline kvom

« Reply #131 on: January 14, 2020, 11:37:35 PM »
I think I'd have done the external threads first for use as a gauge for the internal.  You can measure the threads with wires if you want to be fairly accurate.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #132 on: January 15, 2020, 12:16:18 AM »
I think I'd have done the external threads first for use as a gauge for the internal.  You can measure the threads with wires if you want to be fairly accurate.
First time I have done threads like this, its all a learning experience.  How would the wire-measuring work?

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #133 on: January 15, 2020, 04:01:34 AM »
I don't remember if I've actually used them, but I do have the wire set. You use 3 wires of a certain size and with two on one side and one on the other mike across them to get a particular thread pitch. I think the Machinist Handbook has a chart with wire sizes & measured dimension for a given thread.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline kvom

« Reply #134 on: January 15, 2020, 12:22:29 PM »
I did it once in class.  Need a rubber band to hold the wires or else 3 hands.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal