Author Topic: Chris's Build of a Stanley 735 Engine  (Read 44304 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Build of a Stanley 735 Engine
« Reply #105 on: January 12, 2020, 08:36:32 PM »
:ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

This post is approved by the coalition for better ear protection, Barry Manilow Proper Playback Speed special interest group.
That oughta confuse the swarf out of those who skipped a few posts!   :lolb:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #106 on: January 12, 2020, 08:48:21 PM »
Okay, definitely decided to make the arbor for the holding fixture (cannot use an arbor all by itself, no way to balance it). Started by turning the arbor shape, leaving a bit at the base to be shaped to fit the fixture. This was a great time to test out the lathe chuck spiders that I had 3D printed recently, worked out great! The outer end was drilled/tapped for a long 10-32 SHCS, then the end of the hole drilled out to be a little smaller than the head of the screw. This makes the spot where the taper on the screw pushes the sides out, expanding them to clamp on the bore of the cylinder. The arbor was turned to be a close but not tight fit.

Then turned the part around and turned the base end to fit into the recess in the fixture plate, with a smaller boss that fits in the through hole. This end was drilled/tapped for a 1/4-20 bolt, with a heavy washer to span the through hole. The boss on the arbor is short enough that it does not project out of the hole, so it can all be drawn up tight.

Here is the arbor bolted to the fixture - a long socket fit through the hole in the faceplate, so no need to disassemble the fixture. You can see the end of the SHCS, which I spun in the lathe to file a taper on it that just fits in the hole in the arbor. The arbor was also sawn part way down to give it the ability to expand out as the screw is run in. The screw extends well below the saw cut.

And the whole thing together and on the lathe. Bit of luck, running in one of the small screws/washer one of the mounting posts, it keeps the cylinder from being able to shift back and forth. With everything tightend down and the cylinder turned to rest on the back mounting post, it is all nice and secure. So, next time I can turn the counterbores at the ends of the cylinders and start threading them.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 08:51:56 PM by crueby »

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #107 on: January 12, 2020, 10:35:34 PM »
Clever and well done on the mandrel!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #108 on: January 12, 2020, 11:10:43 PM »
 :ThumbsUp:
 Nice bit of tool making there Chris!

John

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #109 on: January 13, 2020, 07:15:37 AM »
Nice work Chris!
On the work holding the other way round.......what’s wrong with long bolts & maybe spacers between the lugs & the plate?

Edit
Hmmmmm for some reason, likely me, a couple of post were missing, ok the mandrel will do just fine

Cheers Kerrin
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 07:20:51 AM by Steamer5 »
Get excited and make something!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #110 on: January 13, 2020, 03:29:39 PM »
Nice work Chris!
On the work holding the other way round.......what’s wrong with long bolts & maybe spacers between the lugs & the plate?

Edit
Hmmmmm for some reason, likely me, a couple of post were missing, ok the mandrel will do just fine

Cheers Kerrin
I thought about that, but it would have had a tendency to shift and twist, it needs the arbor to hold it in alignment. Could have used a plain arbor with the bolts, the expanding one is quick to make and I didn't have bolts long enough, so it made the decision for me.

Offline mnay

« Reply #111 on: January 13, 2020, 05:02:08 PM »
Sure looks nice.  Cant wait to see it run.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #112 on: January 13, 2020, 08:17:40 PM »
Sure looks nice.  Cant wait to see it run.
Niether can I - but I guess we both will, lots more parts still to go!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #113 on: January 13, 2020, 08:30:12 PM »
Bunch more done today - started out by turning the recess in the ends of the cylinders at the base end,

Then set up the threading attachment on the headstock. The way Sherline does it is to add a set of hand-cranked gears to the headstock, with a connection down to the leadscrew. Not the most robust setup, but it works, and they were able to add it to a machine designed without it (at least that is my assumption).

I have it set up for a 0.9mm pitch thread - with the riser in place, the imperial pitch gears dont reach so you need to use a metric pitch or buy more of the largest gears. I have a cutter set up for threading, but not a holder that will make it around the corner to the inside, so I used a boring bar that has a matching angle to the tip (got lucky on that). A number of shallow passes (still a couple to go in this picture) ...

and it took the threads in to meet the shoulder. Did both cylinders, then flipped the part around and did the top ends the same way:

Worked out pretty well, a few thou per pass, adding drops of oil as I went. Here is the part so far with all the cylinder threads cut:

As I mentioned before, I wanted to try the little sandblaster (looks like an airbrush) on the part - did some tests on some scrap, then moved to the real part. It does get rid of the shine, and makes the toolmarks less obvious. In person, looks more like a painted finish. It does show up some areas that need more sanding/filing. Those five bosses in the center will get drilled and covered with the inlet manifold.

Next I think I'll make and thread the cylinder caps, while I am in the threading zone...

Offline rspringer

« Reply #114 on: January 13, 2020, 09:02:48 PM »
Chris builds an entire engine.  I make a few bolts.  Hope you make it to Cabin Fever.  It was on my list to do this year but can't maker it. 

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #115 on: January 13, 2020, 09:18:15 PM »
Chris builds an entire engine.  I make a few bolts.  Hope you make it to Cabin Fever.  It was on my list to do this year but can't maker it.
Wish I could get to CF this year, but I need to stick close to home for family stuff. Next fall you need to get up to the logging museum in Maine and drive the Lombards!

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #116 on: January 13, 2020, 09:29:27 PM »
Threading and sandblasting look great! Looks like a cylinder casting now, one done with a brushed graphite / alcohol wash on the sand mould before core setting and pouring!   :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 09:32:45 PM by cnr6400 »

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #117 on: January 13, 2020, 09:30:51 PM »
I'm enjoying your THREAD on this build Chris.   :ROFL: Nice work.  :ThumbsUp:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #118 on: January 13, 2020, 09:34:10 PM »
I'm enjoying your THREAD on this build Chris.   :ROFL: Nice work.  :ThumbsUp:

Jim
Uh oh, CNR's influence is spreading! Used to be just Zee... sigh... Time to send out more opera-yodeling/kazoo-playing elves!   :ROFL:

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #119 on: January 13, 2020, 09:35:02 PM »
Careful Jim, Chris' punishments for iffy puns are getting more severe. I'm still hearing kazoo noises in my head after the last one I got!  :Lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal