Author Topic: Chris's Build of a Stanley 735 Engine  (Read 45292 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Build of a Stanley 735 Engine
« Reply #90 on: January 11, 2020, 11:19:20 PM »
Another session this evening saw the first cylinder out to size, still needs lapping/polishing.

and turned the block end for end to get ready for the second cylinder:

As expected, the counterwieghts needed adjusting - pulled one out and substituted a smaller block, that seemed to get it to a decent balance again. As with the first side, I had to take a few swipes with a file on the very tip of the angled side lug to get it to clear the ways, it was just ticking into the middle of the bed.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #91 on: January 11, 2020, 11:41:18 PM »
Cylinders are looking great Chris!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Glad the stacked C-weights are working out. Saves on earthquake insurance when your turnings are balanced better!  :Lol:

The lug sculpting looks good. When it was ticking on the bed of the lathe, did you calculate the amount to remove, or just eyeball it?
               BAD PUN ALERT       WHOOOOT! WHOOOOT! WHOOOOT!                      BAD PUN ALERT       WHOOOOT! WHOOOOT! WHOOOOT!     BAD PUN ALERT       WHOOOOT! WHOOOOT! WHOOOOT!               BAD PUN ALERT       WHOOOOT! WHOOOOT! WHOOOOT!   
You could have used a lug orithm for the calculation..........  :facepalm:    :Lol:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #92 on: January 11, 2020, 11:59:11 PM »
Cylinders are looking great Chris!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Glad the stacked C-weights are working out. Saves on earthquake insurance when your turnings are balanced better!  :Lol:

The lug sculpting looks good. When it was ticking on the bed of the lathe, did you calculate the amount to remove, or just eyeball it?
               BAD PUN ALERT       WHOOOOT! WHOOOOT! WHOOOOT!                      BAD PUN ALERT       WHOOOOT! WHOOOOT! WHOOOOT!     BAD PUN ALERT       WHOOOOT! WHOOOOT! WHOOOOT!               BAD PUN ALERT       WHOOOOT! WHOOOOT! WHOOOOT!   
You could have used a lug orithm for the calculation..........  :facepalm:    :Lol:
Okay, that pun just won your shop elves a full set of late night yodeling lessons...!  With the kazoo upgrade.   :facepalm2:

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #93 on: January 12, 2020, 12:24:50 AM »
It’s truly enjoyable watching these cylinder “castings” emerge from a block of 9f metal.
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #94 on: January 12, 2020, 03:01:34 AM »
Watching that assembly spinning around on your Sherline lathe must of been quite a site!  :) Coming along nicely, Chris.  :popcorn:

:cheers: Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #95 on: January 12, 2020, 03:00:32 PM »
Watching that assembly spinning around on your Sherline lathe must of been quite a site!  :) Coming along nicely, Chris.  :popcorn:

:cheers: Jim

Definitely keeping my fingers back from there, it feels like a table fan with all the air it throws! The boring bar is giving a nice finish with a slower speed and a slow final feed rate, will just need a finish lapping. Weighed the part yesterday, it was down to 1.8 pounds.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #96 on: January 12, 2020, 03:02:49 PM »
It’s truly enjoyable watching these cylinder “castings” emerge from a block of 9f metal.
Thanks Craig, its fun to see it emerge from the block. I want to do some tests on scrap 1144 to see what finish the little airbrush sandblaster gives the outside, see if it gives a scale casting effect.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #97 on: January 12, 2020, 03:17:39 PM »
The elf yodeling with kazoo accompanying it all night was a little rough, but I deserved it!  :Lol:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #98 on: January 12, 2020, 03:24:26 PM »
The elf yodeling with kazoo accompanying it all night was a little rough, but I deserved it!  :Lol:
Next time they will add the Alvin-and-the-chipmunks impersonations singing opera...   :lolb:

Offline kvom

« Reply #99 on: January 12, 2020, 04:02:48 PM »
Are there holes in the fixture to allow boring all the way through?

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #100 on: January 12, 2020, 05:12:37 PM »
Re Alvin - I consider myself warned!     :Lol:  MUCH better quality puns ahead. :atcomputer:

I think you may have been a torture system designer in a previous incarnation......although you didn't mention Italian opera sung in Mandarin Chinese at 2x speed yet!   :shrug:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #101 on: January 12, 2020, 05:44:31 PM »
Re Alvin - I consider myself warned!     :Lol:  MUCH better quality puns ahead. :atcomputer:

I think you may have been a torture system designer in a previous incarnation......although you didn't mention Italian opera sung in Mandarin Chinese at 2x speed yet!   :shrug:
:LittleDevil:
Your favorite rock n roll tunes, sung at 1/4 speed by Barry Manilow.... over and over and over....
Mwuhahahaha!!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #102 on: January 12, 2020, 05:47:13 PM »
Are there holes in the fixture to allow boring all the way through?
Yes - the fixture has a recess in the center slightly larger than the bore of the cylinder so I can take the boring bar all the way through the part without bottoming out. Learned that one the hard way on a previous project!
The recess shows in this picture:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #103 on: January 12, 2020, 05:54:05 PM »
Productive morning - got the second cylinder bored out to match the first one:

Then, in prep for threading the ends for the cylinder caps, cut in a recess in the ends so the threads will clear the piston as it slides in during assembly.

Now, I could start threading this end now, but I will need to add the same recesses at the other ends of the bores, and have a way to hold the parts during that work and the threading. So, I think I am going to make the arbor for that first. The lugs I am using to hold the part on the fixture are only at the bottom end, so if I turn the part around it will have nothing to bolt it in place. The recess that KVOM brought up in the previous post (nice lead in!) will get a length of bar stock turned to a snug fit and fitted with an expanding end. That way I can work on both ends of the cylinder with everything concentric.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #104 on: January 12, 2020, 07:37:22 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

This post is approved by the coalition for better ear protection, Barry Manilow Proper Playback Speed special interest group.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal