Author Topic: Chris's Build of a Stanley 735 Engine  (Read 44325 times)

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
Re: Chris's Build of a Stanley 735 Engine
« Reply #390 on: February 11, 2020, 04:11:02 PM »
Looking good and that is an incredibly clean hand holding the engine ?!!!! :popcorn: :popcorn:
Had just washed off the oil. Or maybe its my stunt double...

So long as it's not an elve's hand. That would be scary.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #391 on: February 11, 2020, 04:23:02 PM »
If it was an Elve's hand it must have been a George Britnell model  :)  :)  :)
Best regards

Roger

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #392 on: February 11, 2020, 05:00:48 PM »
Thought I heard giant footsteps outside last night...!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #393 on: February 11, 2020, 05:07:15 PM »
More done on the stuffing boxes - threaded the inside of the hex bar (apparently forgot to take a picture of that) as well as the ends of the bar that the boxes are being cut on:

test fitting the hex threads on it...

Those all fit nicely after a few more passes (threaded both ends of the bar), so went ahead and parted off the nuts from the hex:

Now will get back to finishing up the stuffing boxes - need to fiddle around in Fusion to figure out the best way to make the top ends of them.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #394 on: February 11, 2020, 07:58:00 PM »
Settled on making a little arbor to hold the stuffing boxes, and extended the threaded area up above the surface of the boxes - on the original they were recessed in, but I did not come up with a good way to do that. Though, hmmm.... maybe I can solder on a ring to make the outer part... Yes! That should work. 'Talking' things through always helps get the ideas going!

Anyway, here is one of the parts on the arbor, turned down the end and threaded it M10. Afterwards, trimmed down the post a little more, it was too long looking.

A couple pictures of the parts fit onto the plate:

Was about to make the caps to finish these parts off, but will also make the outer rings...
 :cheers:

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #395 on: February 11, 2020, 10:27:19 PM »
 :ThumbsUp:
It's looking great Chris!

John

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #396 on: February 11, 2020, 11:54:15 PM »
:ThumbsUp:
It's looking great Chris!

John
Thanks John!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #397 on: February 12, 2020, 12:01:49 AM »
Got the rings made for the stuffing boxes - gives them the right look though they are slightly taller than the pure scale should be since the threads are still not recessed below the outer diameter of the part.

The packing nuts were simple to turn up, drilled/threaded on the bottom side, and the top has holes around the edge to allow tightening down the nut. In this picture the parts still had to be trimmed to final hieght.

All trimmed, and test fit in the engine (enough done to start calling it that I think!)

The extra height of the packing nut section takes up some room that should be open, but no interference problems. I DO need to trim down and sandblast that intake elbow though, looks really chunky!

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #398 on: February 12, 2020, 02:46:01 AM »
Looks like a successful day Chris.  :) I got the garden shed cleaned up!  :(

You're getting a lot of use out of that thread cutting attachment. I have one, but haven't used it yet. Got it on my bucket list along with silver soldering.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #399 on: February 12, 2020, 03:17:05 AM »
Looks like a successful day Chris.  :) I got the garden shed cleaned up!  :(

You're getting a lot of use out of that thread cutting attachment. I have one, but haven't used it yet. Got it on my bucket list along with silver soldering.

Jim
Start with the silver soldering, you'll use it a lot!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #400 on: February 12, 2020, 06:32:18 PM »
Today been working on the tie rods that go between the crossmembers. Made up the rods, threaded each end 4-40, then started on the nuts. These are castle nuts, from the photos it and plans it looks like these rods may have served to compress the rods towards each other a bit, to adjust the tension in the crosshead guides? The rods dont have shoulders, just a castle nut at each end that can be pinned/wired through the rod. The nuts were drilled/tapped/parted off a length of stainless rod, then the slots cut in using a small dental bur in a high speed air handpiece.

I can see now why they used the holes around the edges of the packing glands to adjust things, its getting a little crowded between all the parts, and there are lots more to go in there! Been looking ahead at the valve rod guide piece, that one is going to be very interesting to make...

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #401 on: February 12, 2020, 08:25:41 PM »
Been studying the plans for the valve rod guide, and have a plan of attack on it. Its way too tight on clearances to mill out of one piece, less than an inch across, so I will piece it up from brass bar stock. The crossbar will start as half inch square bar, longer than needed so the cylinders on the ends are enclosed, and be drilled for the other cylindrical shapes. Silver solder it all, then mill the square bar down to size. Will need some temp pins to hold things in place for soldering.

Pics as it happens later...

Offline Elam Works

• Glen Mills, PA, USA
« Reply #402 on: February 12, 2020, 08:27:34 PM »
Today been working on the tie rods that go between the crossmembers. Made up the rods, threaded each end 4-40, then started on the nuts. These are castle nuts, from the photos it and plans it looks like these rods may have served to compress the rods towards each other a bit, to adjust the tension in the crosshead guides?

The diaphragm plate and the bearing main bearing caps fixed the frame rod centers. The tie rods, as you noted, just stop the cross head guides from spreading apart. I don't know that they were intended to pinch the guides together as you needed some operating clearance. Normal practice was to shim between the cross head guide and the cross head supports to get the right distance, not torque up on the tie bolts.

It was not until 1922 and the model 740 that Stanley double nutted the tie bolts (a nut above and below the cross member) so that they stopped the cross head guides from spreading or converging. It helped stiffen up the frame rod assembly slightly. To offset this improvement they started stamping the engine serial number (in addition?) on a frame rod, adding a stress riser. Previously it was just found on the rear cross member, top face.

-Doug

Offline Elam Works

• Glen Mills, PA, USA
« Reply #403 on: February 12, 2020, 08:32:14 PM »
What? Plenty of room!  Why I must measure several inches across on the monitor...  :)

-Doug

Offline tghs

« Reply #404 on: February 12, 2020, 08:51:26 PM »
I'm seeing a 90degree jig with four rods, 4 turned and drilled parts and a crossmember all soldered together at one time,, or cris will just carve it out of a solid block..
what the @#&% over

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal