Author Topic: Chris's Build of a Stanley 735 Engine  (Read 44333 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Build of a Stanley 735 Engine
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2020, 02:18:54 AM »
Fascinating printers, but way above the typical home device.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2020, 10:52:04 PM »
Not much time on the Stanley today, been spending time on the boats getting ready for our next pool run. I did get time to make the threaded studs for the cylinder holding fixture. These studs thread into the plate, and have a threaded through hole that will take the bolts through the engine block flanges.

Next step is to bore the recess in the center of the plate which will allow the boring bar to go a little past the end of the cylinder without bottoming out on the plate. Then I think it will be time to start actual work on the engine block itself. The hours spent on this fixture will be well worth it, having a secure and repeatable way to hold the engine block.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2020, 11:29:56 PM »
Hi Chris, just a mile from my house is a friend with this stable full of steam cars and also a Morris Minor conversion.     With me posing !!! Had a drive in one and the acceleration was exhilarating ..they are Propane fired and the pressure is 600PSI !!!

Willy

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2020, 11:37:41 PM »
Willy, Stop posing and ship me one of those cars!!!! 

What an awesome group, great fun.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2020, 07:02:10 PM »
Today is alternating rain and snow, so a perfect day to stay in the shop and play. So far have gotten the holes for the mounting lugs laid out and drilled on the base of the engine block blank:

and milled recesses in the side to clear the screw heads that hold the fixture to the faceplate. These areas will be cut away later anyway, so these recesses will not show on the final part.

Test fit of the block on the holding plate, a nice snug fit, very happy with that.

Laid out the areas on the sides of the block that will need to be cut away to get down to the sides of the cylinder walls and expose the tops of the mounting lugs. As you can see on the side of the 3D printed part that Elfric is holding, the mounting lugs stick out from the sides of the part on both sides of the cylinders.

Those areas marked with X's are a lot to remove with just the mill, I will see if I can slab off the bulk of them with the bandsaw.  Last step on the fixture plate was to bore in the recess in the center, to allow the boring bar room to go past the end of the cylinder while boring it out without risk of bottoming the cutter. This required putting the riser block in the lathe, and getting out the taller toolpost.

A last double-check on the clearances too - the Sherline allows for just over a 6" diameter with the riser block in place, and the engine block will need nearly all of that to center the cylinders for boring. Should clear fine, as long as I cut the outside profiles of the block first, and bore the cylinders last. Otherwise, the corners of the block will hit the ways on the lathe.

Good place to break for lunch!

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2020, 07:25:44 PM »
Looks like a great start Chris!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2020, 11:07:39 PM »
Looks like a great start Chris!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Thanks - and I remembered (at the last minute) to put in the holes for counterweights when turning on the lathe like you suggested.  This afternoon got some more done, cut a slot on each side of the blank to slab off the bulk of the extra material above the mounting lug flanges - still left some extra material to be safe. Then chain drilled along the bottom of the slab

and finished off the cuts with a hacksaw - the bandsaw wont go just partway in and stop level due to how it is hinged.

That took the blank from 4.6 pounds to 3.4. It will probably be closer to 1 when it is finished. Then cleaned up the flange to thickness on the mill:

To get the mounting bolts and washers to go in to the holding plate, it was necessary to take the area behind them closer to the finished dimensions:

Now, when going for a test fit, the elves insisted on helping by holding up one end, but Elfric found out the hard way it was too heavy. Naturally Elfred just freaked out instead of lifting it off him...   :facepalm:

So, I finsihed running in the bolts myself:

Nice snug fit, takes a few taps with a plastic mallet to get the part on/off the studs, so no worries about it wobbling about. I think next time I'll be able to start milling the profile of the outside of the cylinders in.
 :cheers:

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2020, 01:20:11 AM »
 :ThumbsUp:
 Great progress Chris! Looking good!
 :popcorn:
 John

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2020, 07:17:45 AM »
Hi Chris,
 Off to a racing start.....the elf’s must still be fueled up on Xmas goodies!

When you need to chop a bit of the side with the bandsaw a secondary vice held at an angle allows the work to be held so that you can get down as far as you need

Looking good!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2020, 04:42:12 PM »
Hi Chris, While the ElfSHA investigation is underway for the Elfric to pancake conversion incident   :mischief: I was thinking about the angled lugs on the cylinders.  :atcomputer: Do you plan to just mill material away, leave two "islands" standing, then sculpt / drill them from the solid, or were you going to make them separate and solder them into pockets? Just fine either way, the brain just got working after the turkey coma cleared over the holidays, and was working ahead a bit on "how would I tackle that one?" for the lugs. One thought - if you tried to mill them from solid and something went wrong some way, you could always use the pockets/separate block method as a plan B fix. Just food for thought.  :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2020, 05:11:04 PM »
Hi Chris,
 Off to a racing start.....the elf’s must still be fueled up on Xmas goodies!

When you need to chop a bit of the side with the bandsaw a secondary vice held at an angle allows the work to be held so that you can get down as far as you need

Looking good!

Cheers Kerrin
Took me a few minutes to visualize that, but the brain finally woke up and saw it. Um, bad pun snuck in there, it could see it! I've done something similar on the mill, never thought about it for the bandsaw.  Thanks!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2020, 05:16:17 PM »
Hi Chris, While the ElfSHA investigation is underway for the Elfric to pancake conversion incident   :mischief: I was thinking about the angled lugs on the cylinders.  :atcomputer: Do you plan to just mill material away, leave two "islands" standing, then sculpt / drill them from the solid, or were you going to make them separate and solder them into pockets? Just fine either way, the brain just got working after the turkey coma cleared over the holidays, and was working ahead a bit on "how would I tackle that one?" for the lugs. One thought - if you tried to mill them from solid and something went wrong some way, you could always use the pockets/separate block method as a plan B fix. Just food for thought.  :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Yeah, those ElfSHA investigators love the paperwork, fortunately the sheets are very small so a good sneeze and they are gone!   :LittleDevil:

I am planning on getting the angled side lugs out of the same big block. Not sure exactly how they will be milled yet, will sneak up on those as I shape the outsides of the cylinders. I always have the fallback of using the rotary tool and hand carving the outsides of them. The tilting table with the small mill vise can hold it for drilling the angled hole, that part should not be a problem.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2020, 05:30:37 PM »
Today started nibbling out the cylinder block from the big blank. With the block held on the rotary table with the fixture plate, the first cylinder is centered over the rotary table, so turning the table mills concentric to the future bore. Started out by taking off as much as I could above the angled lug that will stick out in the middle of the cylinder:

And yes, the side nearest the camera is supposed to be inset. One side of the block is flush with the cylinder, one is inset.
Then lowered the cutter and took off another section. Here, I had to leave stock on one side to make the angled lug later on.

And another layer to the cake took it down as far as the cutter would reach:

I have a couple of choices on how to do the last bit at the bottom. I can get a longer 3/8" cutter that will reach, use the boring head with a longer cutter, switch the rotary table up on end and mill from the side, or just saw off enough so it will turn in the lathe.

I am leaning away from the boring head approach, that could be iffy with an interrupted cut. I will need to finish the sides of the cylinder with the rotab up vertically anyway, since the middle of the sides are recessed, so that is the most likely way. I may need to trim the corners of the fixture plate a little to let the end mill holder clear the plate.

I'll go ahead and cut the other end of the blank to the current position as I let the elves deliberate that one.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2020, 05:31:40 PM »
Oh, and I have switched over to the Coppermine image server for the pictures in my previous post - hopefully all three pictures show up for everyone?

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2020, 05:36:11 PM »
Could you just rough trim the remaining material for now and then once it has had the two bores done you can easily locate the block by the bores the other way up and do the final rounding off.

looking good so far, yes pictures show OK

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal