Author Topic: Chris's Build of a Stanley 735 Engine  (Read 44301 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Build of a Stanley 735 Engine
« Reply #210 on: January 21, 2020, 11:04:58 PM »
Well, that is interesting. All that back and forth last week about what kind of cast iron bar to order (all very helpful info, thanks very much to all) for use as the valve sleeves on this engine, and I wound up ordering the grade-40 gray cast iron bar from Speedy Metals, since over at Online Metals they only sold the Durabar in 72" lengths and I only need a short bit (wound up getting a 24 inch bar, along with restocking my 303 selection).

:headscratch:

Well, got the piece of grade-40 from Speedy Metals just now. Down the length of the piece it has the manufacturers stamping saying it is Durabar Grade G2. 

:noidea:

Um, huh? I have NO problem with that, the Durabar is what I would have gone with intentionally if I had found it in short lengths at a decent price, but I didn't. If I like it I may buy some more bigger pieces to have a stock for future projects.

So, did Speedy goof, or is it common to sell the Durabar branded bar without mentioning thats what it is? Or did I get lucky? Would have thought they would mention it as a selling point.

Anyway, been wanting to try it out on the lathe, recommended by many for pistons/liners/etc. I am going to finish the work on the valve and piston glands and the cover plate first, so that bar can sit there and age a bit. Uh-oh, just realized, I'll have to put the elves on watch for Surus to clomp over and grab it thinking its a casting...   :Lol:

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #211 on: January 21, 2020, 11:43:29 PM »
to have a stock for future projects.

hee hee...it's those 'future projects' everyone is wondering about.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #212 on: January 22, 2020, 12:50:08 AM »

And its a long list!   :)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #213 on: January 22, 2020, 05:06:18 PM »
This morning drilled the holes in the ends of the flanges for the mounting screws, using the tap drill size at first...

I want to use the flanges as drill guides for the holes in the cylinder block, which means holding the glands in place, centered on the holes. There is a bit of slop on the inside diameter due to the tapered section, so I whipped up these guides from brass bar - sliding fit in the valve holes, and a post that slides onto the gland:

With that to hold the parts centered, drilled the screw holes, then drilled the flanges out to clearance size.

Here are the part screwed into place for a test fit, all looks good so next will take them up to the sander and round the corners of the flanges.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #214 on: January 22, 2020, 08:51:36 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #215 on: January 22, 2020, 08:59:06 PM »
Send one of your elves over here with some of that popcorn, you re making me hungry!   :Lol:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #216 on: January 22, 2020, 09:16:07 PM »
This afternoon took the valve glands to the belt sander, few light passes and the corners were rounded off. Then, bolted them in place and started taking the bottom of the cylinder block down around them, leaving bosses under the glands. These are shallow, only about 25 thou. Using the trusty holding fixture to mount the cylinder block to the rotary table.

Also attached the cover plate, since the end of that needed to come down to the new level...

Here are the bosses around the valve bores:

Next up was to take the outer surface of the cover plate down to form the bosses there that support the exhaust manifold and the four plugs, used to clean the casting cores out of the passages on the original. No casting here, so just for looks.

Still need to round off the bosses around the plug holes, will do that by hand with the rotary tool. Then will sandblast the new surfaces to blend them into the cylinder appearance.

After that, getting close to the final work on the cylinder block assembly. Need to bore the bottom cylinder caps for the piston rods and make the glands for all the rods, and lap the bores to final smoothness - especially the valve bores, the passage cutting has left some edge burs.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #217 on: January 22, 2020, 10:11:56 PM »
On some recent work I used some new-ish endmills on some chewy hot rolled Chinesium faux steel. The burrs were so big I called one of them "Raymond".    :facepalm:  Hope your burrs are smaller than that!   :Lol: :ThumbsUp:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #218 on: January 22, 2020, 10:25:47 PM »
On some recent work I used some new-ish endmills on some chewy hot rolled Chinesium faux steel. The burrs were so big I called one of them "Raymond".    :facepalm:  Hope your burrs are smaller than that!   :Lol: :ThumbsUp:
Fortunately too small to name, just enough to interfere with sliding parts. I've had those big ones when the cutter is going dull. Gives enough of a burr to be the engineer on Star Trek.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #219 on: January 22, 2020, 10:28:20 PM »

At least it's a list of projects. I had a list of projects. It turned out to be a list of wild hairs.
Much harder to pluck than the ones on my forehead, ears, shoulders, etc.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #220 on: January 22, 2020, 10:32:49 PM »
Fortunately too small to name, just enough to interfere with sliding parts. I've had those big ones when the cutter is going dull. Gives enough of a burr to be the engineer on Star Trek.

"Ye canna change the laws of physics Captain."   Aye Mr. Scott....... Newww thaaaaat's a burrrrrrrrr.      :Lol:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #221 on: January 22, 2020, 11:36:06 PM »

At least it's a list of projects. I had a list of projects. It turned out to be a list of wild hairs.
Much harder to pluck than the ones on my forehead, ears, shoulders, etc.
Hmmmm, Zee is a Tribble!   :ROFL:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #222 on: January 22, 2020, 11:37:08 PM »

"Ye canna change the laws of physics Captain."   Aye Mr. Scott....... Newww thaaaaat's a burrrrrrrrr.      :Lol:
Sometimes Bugs Bunny had it right, he just IGNORED the laws of physics ("Of course, I never studied Law")

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #223 on: January 23, 2020, 05:53:20 PM »
This morning used the rotary tool to clean up around the corners and curves on the cover plate, and then sandblasted it to blend in with the rest of the cylinder block.

Next am going over the shapes of the piston rod glands, and should start them this afternoon...

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #224 on: January 23, 2020, 07:44:32 PM »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal