Author Topic: Chris's Build of a Stanley 735 Engine  (Read 45336 times)

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
Re: Chris's Build of a Stanley 735 Engine
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2020, 08:03:31 AM »
SWEET!

New Year new build to follow, thankfully the  :popcorn: is growing nicely, & I still have a little bit left from last year!
Looking forward to this for a ....................................while now.

Cheers Kerrin

Oh & Happy New Year to you & the little guys!
Get excited and make something!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2020, 08:10:56 AM »
Looking forward to seeing this model engine come together  :)

That 3D cylinder printing has Surus' attention  :facepalm: He thinks it is a casting or at least a new way to get them  :pinkelephant:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2020, 04:46:02 PM »
A New Year and a new build thread from Chris. Yeeees!  :whoohoo:

I like how you've set up your thread cutting attachment. I got one when I got my Sherline lathe, but haven't used it for the very reasons you mentioned.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2020, 05:18:44 PM »
A New Year and a new build thread from Chris. Yeeees!  :whoohoo:

I like how you've set up your thread cutting attachment. I got one when I got my Sherline lathe, but haven't used it for the very reasons you mentioned.

Jim

Sherline has this tip in thier list of user supplied tips on the website, just need a smaller handwheel. And make sure not to turn on the power!!!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2020, 07:02:50 PM »
Nice project for starting off the new decade Chris. Will be watching along as well

Bill

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2020, 10:45:34 PM »
Not much change visually, but this afternoon I spent some time with the fly cutter (hung plexi shields around it to somewhat control the hot chips flying all over) to square up the engine block blank. The bandsaw cuts pretty square, but the slight wanders make it tough to securely clamp in the mill vise, so well worth the time to square it all up.

With the sides parallel/square to each other, now I can lay out the holes for the large mounting lugs on the bottom, and set up the holding fixture to match. The fly cutter leaves a nice surface, but it does not remove much material, so the sides will be taken down with some drilling/milling most likely. Once it is on the holding fixture I will need some study time to decide what order to work in to get the outside shapes.

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2020, 01:40:43 AM »
Just getting caught-up on my reading here on MEM.  My own project was alligators and crocodiles for a while.  This looks like another ‘Chris’ project taking off at breakneck speed.  I better set aside some MEM reading time or I’m going to fall woefully behind.  :Lol:

Looks like you’re off to a great start. 
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2020, 02:10:09 AM »
Hi Craig,  I'll try not to require a speed reading course!   :happyreader:

This engine block needs some serious nibbling around the edges, a carbide toothed crocodile would help...  :Lol:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2020, 09:41:27 PM »
Today the weather was decent, no snow or rain and close to 50F outside, so popped over and took the Christmas lights down off the Marion steam shovel in LeRoy. These battery operated LED lights are nice, they lasted almost 6 weeks on one set of D cells per 50' string.

This afternoon, got started making the holding fixture for the engine block on the Stanley. First step was to center the rotary table under the mill spindle, using the co-ax indicator. The face and rim of the faceplate had been trued on the lathe, so I could use the rim to indicate on. Once it was centered, the handwheels were zeroed and the table moved left 1.414" and locked down.

Drilled/tapped four 5-40 holes at 90 degree intervals...

Then laid out the pattern on the fixture plate itself, and lined it up on the faceplate - took a few tries to get it aligned. Then clamped it down and drilled close clearance holes at 90 degree intervals again. Since the mill table had been locked down, these holes were on the same circle as the ones in the faceplate.

Then bolted the fixture plate to the faceplate in those new holes, and did some coordinate drilling - moved the mill table back to center (drilled a reference hole while there in case I need it later) then over to the coordinates of each hole where the engine block mounting lugs will be. Drilled each of those positions and tapped them 1/4-28.

Here is the 3D printed reference part set over those holes to show where the engine block will be held in place for boring one cylinder at a time. The mounting lugs are symmetric about the center lines of the block, so I can turn the block around on the bolts and have the other cylinder lined up on the center of the faceplate.

Next steps will be to turn/drill/thread the posts that go in those four holes in the fixture plate, loctite them in, and bore the recess in the center of the plate.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2020, 11:20:02 PM »
Apologies if I missed it...

Where did that 3D printed reference part come from? What is it made of? Who made it?

BTW You should expect one of your roaming elves to come home soon. Not much going on here and he got bored. Besides which...I ran out of my cookies.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2020, 11:27:42 PM »
Pretty well thought out Dog love it..... :Love:

:cheers:
Don

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2020, 11:44:50 PM »
Chris---Every morning I come downstairs to my office and shop, and one of the first things I do is check on whatever you are building. You do great work. I will follow this build as I follow all of your stuff.--Thank you for the good work that you share with all of us.---Brian

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2020, 01:17:09 AM »

Where did that 3D printed reference part come from? What is it made of? Who made it?

BTW You should expect one of your roaming elves to come home soon. Not much going on here and he got bored. Besides which...I ran out of my cookies.

I had it printed at Jawstec.com, found they are a fair bit cheaper than places like shapeways, though they only have a couple of materials. This is mjf nylon, I have had parts for my sub done in glass filled nylon there. They allow the .step format, so no issues with converting to triangles.

I'll leave a light on for my returning elf - your  running out of cookies is a firing offense for them. Be interesting to see how many of your tools he stuffed in his backpack.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2020, 01:18:48 AM »
Pretty well thought out Dog love it..... :Love:

:cheers:
Don
Thanks Don, been plotting this one out for a while, very interesting shape!

Chris---Every morning I come downstairs to my office and shop, and one of the first things I do is check on whatever you are building. You do great work. I will follow this build as I follow all of your stuff.--Thank you for the good work that you share with all of us.---Brian

Glad to have you on board again!

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2020, 01:49:07 AM »

Hi Zee

Have a look,
https://www8.hp.com/us/en/printers/3d-printers.html

We received ours after a long wait just before the Christmas break and I have been having fun learning the ins and outs of running it. It does print Nylon and the sandy cast appearance can be deceiving.
The material is completely solid if you cut into it.

Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal