Author Topic: Howdy from TX  (Read 1065 times)

Offline jmcyclist

Howdy from TX
« on: December 23, 2019, 02:31:04 PM »
Hi all,

I live in South Texas, and am just getting started building my shop. Last year I bought a Taig MicroLatheII, which I love, and have made some small things on it (scribes, tops, some spacers for my brother's race motorcycle), and find I really enjoy manual machining. I'm hoping to add a couple bigger machines this year, including a lathe and mill, and to keep growing my skills. I love reading build threads and seeing how others approach the inevitable set of problems that creep up on you. :shrug: I have a couple small steam engine kits on the shelf to work on once I acquire a mill (I think I can do most of the lathe work on my Taig.) I'm excited for 2020 and what it might bring.  :cartwheel:

Cheers!!

Justin

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
Re: Howdy from TX
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2019, 02:33:36 PM »
Hi Justin - welcome aboard. Lots of good advice available here, I find it invaluable. I'm sure you will too. All the best, enjoy your machining journey and shop creation.  :ThumbsUp:
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2019, 05:27:47 PM »
Hi,   Welcome to a great Forum inhabited by a great bunch of people.          Terry

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2019, 06:38:50 PM »
Hey there Justin!
Welcome to MEM (this time on your 'introduction' post:)).

As I mentioned in the other thread, I have a Taig lathe and mill.  But before I got the mill, I used the little milling attachment to the lathe.  It worked pretty well and was WELL worth the $40 price tag.  That's how I completed my first few projects, was using that milling attachment on the lathe.  After that, I convinced my wife to get me the mill for Christmas one year (back in 2012 I think).

But after a few years, I wanted a bigger mill, so ended up getting a larger Grizzly knee mill.

Kim

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2019, 08:17:43 PM »
Welcome to the Forum  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:
Best regards

Roger

Offline ironman123

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2019, 03:18:30 AM »
Welcome from Central Texas.  Merry Christmas.  This is a great place.  People with lots of knowledge they don't mind sharing.
Ray
Central Texas

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2019, 01:57:01 PM »
Hi and welcome to the forum Justin...glad to have you aaboard

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal