Author Topic: Atlas, Logan, Bolton, or....?  (Read 6195 times)

Offline john mills

Re: Atlas, Logan, Bolton, or....?
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2020, 11:52:15 PM »
is that keyway shape next to the shaft a recess like that can have a felt pad to hold oil

John

Offline GWRdriver

• Tennessee USA
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2020, 01:55:44 PM »
re Lube oil
Years ago, because my Harrison spec initially called for it, I began using an ISO 68 hydraulic oil (currently Mobile Hydraulic Oil AW) and discovered it was perfect for general lubrication on all my machines as well as other general workshop lubrication.  I've been completely satisfied with its performance ever since.  I bought my last 5-gal pail locally some years ago.  The only drawback (and disappointment) is the shocking increase in price since then! :o

I don't use hydraulic oil for protecting working surfaces (mill table, drill press table, etc.)  I use a thinner lube/preservative on those surfaces (but NOT WD-40!)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 01:59:48 PM by GWRdriver »
Cheers,
Harry

Offline awake

« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2020, 05:30:03 PM »
Update: So in all of my obvious searching, I forgot to check the Logan FAQ. :facepalm: They state very plainly that "All other oil spots (besides the ways) on the Logan Lathe can be oiled with ISO 22 grade spindle oil"...so according to the .pdf that Dave posted, it would be the Mobil Velocite No.10 oil.

Well, I was close. :) I would say that if you have any trouble finding ISO 22, or if the Mobil Velocite is way more expensive than you had hoped, you would be fine with bog-standard ISO 32, generally available pretty inexpensively, often in the big-box stores, many auto parts stores, also via Amazon Prime.
Andy

Offline jmcyclist

« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2020, 02:41:06 PM »
is that keyway shape next to the shaft a recess like that can have a felt pad to hold oil

John

Yes, I think that's exactly what its for. Upon further inspection, it looks like the shaft carrier (where these pad areas are) has some pretty significant scoring. I don't have the pics with me right now, but will try to post over the weekend. I also can't locate a replacement part on the Logan store, so I'll have to email them. I think the other option is to drill out the shaft holes to fit the oil-less bearings Logan sells. I have to give it a think. For the time being, I have replaced the new counter shaft with the old, so as to avoid scarring the new one. Fortunately, this is not a close-tolerance required assembly, so as long as I can keep it sufficiently lubricated to avoid squeaking and squealing, I should be ok.

Many thanks all for the input/guidance/suggestions, I'm learning a LOT about this lathe and really enjoying the journey.

Cheers!  :cheers:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal