Author Topic: Atlas, Logan, Bolton, or....?  (Read 6197 times)

Offline awake

Re: Atlas, Logan, Bolton, or....?
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2020, 08:44:20 PM »
Unfortunately, don't know enough about the Logans to help. FWIW (not much), I was never able to get the tailstock screw out of the tailstock on my circa 1950 Cincinnati TrayTop lathe - I tried and tried, referring to the manual, and finally gave up. I don't recall now exactly why I was trying ... whatever it was doesn't seem to have caused any issues in the last 15 years of using this lathe!

BTW, that was not the only place where there was a discrepancy between the lathe and the manual (which appeared to be the correct manual for that model). It would appear that they made some adjustments to the lathe without necessarily adjusting the manual ... ?
Andy

Offline jmcyclist

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2020, 04:32:46 PM »
So I've made some progress in reassembling the Logan. I've re-mounted the ways, the headstock, tested the fit of the tailstock, and am testing out the carriage. Up next is the apron, and I'm wondering what y'all who have aprons that have an oil bath for the gears are using for the lubrication? When I disassembled the lathe, there was no oil in the well (its behind the front of the apron, but there is a drain plug on the bottom). There seemed to be plenty of grease, and the gears all worked well/smoothly, and there doesn't appear to be any significant wear or breakage. Just curious what gear oil I should use.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 04:56:00 PM by jmcyclist »

Offline jmcyclist

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2020, 04:57:00 PM »
I have no idea why the last pic is inverted...in every viewer on my computer it is right-side-up. Sorry!

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2020, 07:26:18 PM »
This is what I run in all the gearboxes on my lathe.
https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/00265462

Looks like you are making good progress.

Dave

Offline jmcyclist

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2020, 02:37:32 PM »
Thanks Dave! What oil would you use for the countershaft? It sits in a casting, with press-fit bronze bushings. I don't know if I should use grease or oil.

I've finally got it all back together, and now just need to tune and lubricate it!

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2020, 01:32:48 AM »
I would use the same ISO 68 oil as in the gear box. Does it have the Gits flip top oilers? that would tell you that it needs oil and not grease.

Dave

Offline jmcyclist

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2020, 08:13:45 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion. The casting that the countershaft fits in does not have the flip-top oilers, but it does have little oil holes. The manual states to oil these two spots (one on each side) as part of the daily lubrication routine. I was also wondering about "spindle oil" like Mobil Velocite No. 6 or No.10?

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2020, 12:11:55 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion. The casting that the countershaft fits in does not have the flip-top oilers, but it does have little oil holes. The manual states to oil these two spots (one on each side) as part of the daily lubrication routine. I was also wondering about "spindle oil" like Mobil Velocite No. 6 or No.10?

What oil does the factory recommend?

Offline jmcyclist

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2020, 02:21:40 PM »
The only thing the manual says about the oil for lubricating the 8 or so regular locations is to "Use a good machine oil no heavier than SAE No. 10."

Offline Herk

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2020, 07:24:08 PM »
The small chamfered oil holes for the drive countershaft are inadequate and often overlooked.  Also, most of these were just a steel shaft in cast iron.  Don't be surprised if there is significant wear on the shaft and it's bores in the countershaft yoke, which is typical of older "peg-leg" Logans.  Fortunately the shaft is just 5/8" mild steel rod stock, and Oilite bushings can be fairly easily fitted.  Next time mine is apart I plan to fit larger oil cups, or perish the thought, zerk type grease fittings.

Offline john mills

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2020, 08:19:22 PM »
the Hercus  counter shaft on the 9" lathe has a sleep shaft running in cast ion castings these give good service if they have some oil mine have done  nearly 50years  one of the HERCUS brothers when asked about oil he said
you oil yours so as long as it is oiled it will be fine .mild steel in cast iron at the speeds it runs is as good as any thing .the ball bearing was an option.mine has the steel in cast ion and is still going well.if they don't get oiled some times that is when you can have problems .You can not put much oil there or the oil will drip  and make a mess the little holes are quite sufficient .

John

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2020, 09:34:04 PM »

Offline awake

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2020, 10:00:03 PM »
The only thing the manual says about the oil for lubricating the 8 or so regular locations is to "Use a good machine oil no heavier than SAE No. 10."

If I recall correctly (always a dangerous assumption, but I digress), SAE 10 equates to ISO 32. I would use ISO 32 hydraulic oil.
Andy

Offline jmcyclist

« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2020, 10:33:02 PM »
So from what I can gather (both on the Mobil Velocite oil site, and several articles covering "oil weight conversions"), either Velocite No.6 or No. 10 should work. They're both classified as "spindle oils". I installed a new countershaft, as the old one was VERY scored and beat up, especially in the areas covered by the bearings. Logan Actuator will supply "oil less bearings" for the countershaft carrier, so my plan this week is to take that part off, and completely clean it so I can assess the state of the bearings. I'm also going to see if I can tap them a little to see if they move. They actually look like there's a 'keyway-shaped' area that's been milled out, and I was wondering if that was for some sort of wiping material? I can't quite tell with it assembled, so I'll look at it more closely this week.

Thank you all for your input! The only other oils I have right now on hand are 3-in-1, some basic 10W30, and Vactra No.2 Way Oil...so I'm going to avoid trying any of those while I wait for the Velocite No. 10 that I ordered to come in. I'll be sure to post any updates back here. Cheers!!  :DrinkPint:

Offline jmcyclist

« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2020, 10:51:06 PM »
Update: So in all of my obvious searching, I forgot to check the Logan FAQ. :facepalm: They state very plainly that "All other oil spots (besides the ways) on the Logan Lathe can be oiled with ISO 22 grade spindle oil"...so according to the .pdf that Dave posted, it would be the Mobil Velocite No.10 oil.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal