Author Topic: Atlas, Logan, Bolton, or....?  (Read 6139 times)

Offline jmcyclist

Atlas, Logan, Bolton, or....?
« on: December 22, 2019, 05:44:53 PM »
G'day all,

My first post here!

I currently have a Taig, and love it for what it is and can do, but I'm looking to add a larger lathe to my shop. Right now on my local CL, there are: a 10" Atlas H36 ("built before 1948"), a Logan 820, and a Bolton Tools BT1330, all for roughly the same price. All look to be in serviceable condition, and the Atlas and Logan look to come with some tooling (the Bolton has a cooling system and a QCTP, but no additional tooling.) All look like they come with stands. I'm wondering if there's a general 'order' of quality here amongst these three options?

I don't want a huge lathe, rather a capable machine that will handle projects up to and including something like the 3/4" scale Kozo Pennsy A3 (a lifetime stretch goal of mine - following Kim's build (http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,8552.0.html) on this forum) . Aside from that dream, I work mostly in the G scale size (garden railways), and want to turn my own wheels, axles, etc.

Many thanks,
Justin

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
Re: Atlas, Logan, Bolton, or....?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 07:08:58 PM »
Hi Justin, welcome to MEM.

Depending on condition and price my vote would probably be the Logan. The Atlas lathes I see for sale around here, people seem to think that they are gold plated. They have their issues, flat ways, pot metal (Zymac sp.) gears, etc. I think Sears did sell some lathes with prismatic ways but I think these were made by Clausing.

The Bolton seems to be just another garden verity Chinese lathe.

I believe the some parts are still available for the Logan lathes, through Logan Actuator .

Keep in mind that in lots of ways a new import machine may serve you better than a worn out US machine. Do you want to make models or rebuild a machine?

Maybe post the links to the CL adds so we can see the machines in question?

Just my thoughts,
Dave

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 07:21:30 PM »
I kinda echo what Dave is saying....pictures would help though!

Welcome!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 08:37:26 PM »
Welcome to MEM Justin. I can't help with the question, but happy to have you in board with us.

Bill

Offline jmcyclist

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2019, 11:35:09 PM »
Thanks for the welcome!  :cheers:

Good point about the used v. new...I don't necessarily want to be rebuilding...I want to be cutting chips and making stuff.   :agree:

As suggested, links to the ads:

Bolton: https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/tls/d/new-braunfels-13x40-lathe/7034044399.html

Logan: https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/tls/d/mountain-home-lathe-logan-model-820/7027153713.html

Atlas: https://sanmarcos.craigslist.org/tls/d/san-marcos-atlas-10-rare-h36-lathe/7016784184.html

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2019, 12:01:13 AM »
Welcome to MEM Justin.

For about the same amount of money these seem to get pretty good reviews:
https://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/pm-1022v-pm-1030v/

What do you have for a mill?
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline jmcyclist

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2019, 12:39:45 AM »
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the link. The PM machines look pretty nice! (And when I looked just now, two of them were in stock...the 1022 w/QCTP, and the 1030 w/ QCTP & DRO.)

Right now I don't have a mill...I'm contemplating an LMS mini or bench mill.

I guess one of the draws of something like the Logan is the included tooling. I'm given to understand that tooling is about half of what one should budget for.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2019, 12:50:16 AM »
The Logan does have nice chucks with it, if they are in good shape. For the reasons I stated before I would shy away from the Atlas.
As far as the Atlas goes I have seen way better examples sell in the $800 range, but times change.

Maybe you could see the Logan run and make some test cuts with it? it looks like a pretty decent machine if it doesn't have problems.

Dave

Offline jmcyclist

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2019, 01:21:49 AM »
Thanks Dave, that's a good idea, I'll see if the seller will allow a few test cuts.

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2019, 01:27:10 AM »
A friend bought a 10" Logan a couple of years ago. 1950 something. Very dirty but looked ok. We cleaned it up and I'm very impressed with how will it's built compared to the Atlas. Which another friend owns. They will both do good model work but the Logan is all steel and cast iron, very will made. And nothing out of the ordinary in it's construction, it's very rebuildable equipment. I have a South Bend but I've rebuilt it.

'twer it me, I'd go with that Logan. The tooling alone is worth much more than the lathe on the market but the package is almost priceless to a beginner because it has tooling that matches the lathe. No searching for that stuff!

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2019, 01:46:17 AM »
Hi Justin,
Welcome to MEM.

I've got a Taig also - both the lathe and a mill.  And over time, I've replaced both of them with bigger machines.  But they have (and continue to) serve me well.

The only input I have for you on your decision is to let you know that I opted for a new import (Grizzly).  But the Logan sure looks tempting!  I'd certainly follow other's advice on that. They have way more experience than I do!

Kim

Offline jmcyclist

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2020, 06:03:11 PM »
I am heading to check out the Logan today. The seller offered to let me “play around “ and make some cuts. Is there anything in particular I should be on the lookout for?

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2020, 07:31:06 PM »
Hi Justin

Just a few quick things:

Looks the ways over especially near the head stock to see if there is excess wear.
Run it through all the speeds, see how it feels and sounds.
Check the back gears for excess wear/damage.
Check all the settings in the quick change gear gear box, run it at each setting.
Check for excess back lash in the cross feed and compound feed screws.
Check the tail stock taper for damage, do the drill chucks and centers stay locked in place. Does it take a little effort to pop them out?

Maybe some of the guys can add to this.

Dave

Offline jmcyclist

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2020, 04:18:03 PM »
Update:

After checking out the lathe on Saturday, and running some turning and facing tests, the Logan seemed to def be a winner. :naughty: The ways looked to be in very good shape, with two small nicks out of the Vs that shouldn't affect operation. All the gears were in good shape, with plenty of lubrication and no broken/missing teeth. The carriage was also in similarly good shape, and the power feed worked well in both axes. On the tailstock, attachments were easy to remove, but positively seated and worked well. There was a lot of tooling with this lathe, including a 6-jaw Buck chuck, and a British 4-jaw independent (the brand escapes me). Also included was a european QCTP, very beefy, and very solidly built. At some point a DRO was installed on the back of the ways, on the longitudinal axis. On Sunday I returned to purchase the lathe. :whoohoo: The seller helped me disassemble it, largely according to Tubalcain's procedure he used when he bought a similar lathe at an estate auction, and load it onto my truck for the return trip. I barely had enough time to unload it last night into my garage...had to be in bed earlier since I returned to work today!

Strangely, the seller said I was the first person he's had come look at any of his lathes to actually ask to run some tests and see the machine operate (he's a retired machine shop owner and machine dealer, and only "buys stuff I would actually use") !!

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2020, 04:59:01 PM »
Hi Justin, congrats on the the new lathe.

I'm surprised that you took it that far apart to move it, but that will give you the ability to give everything a good cleaning before reassembling.
I have found Oil Eater to be one of the best greasers that I have ever tried, if you are looking for a recommendation.
https://www.amazon.com/Oil-Eater-Original-Cleaner-Degreaser/dp/B000EALHHG/ref=sr_1_1?hvadid=78134097235847&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=oil+eater&qid=1578329749&sr=8-1

Looks like you found yourself a nice machine.

Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal