Author Topic: Lady Stephanie Beam Engine Revisited, building a 2nd one  (Read 2424 times)

Offline geoff5269

Lady Stephanie Beam Engine Revisited, building a 2nd one
« on: December 22, 2019, 04:34:11 PM »
I built one of these 7 years ago when I was still a novice model maker and found it very challenging which led to me leaving off a lot of the detail. I'm very pleased with it but had a feeling I should complete it somehow. I decided not to change the original one and bought the castings thinking I'll just do the bits I missed but of coarse I've ended up making a nearly complete model. There is still the governor to do and I want to make a better arrangement where the drive belt goes straight from the crankshaft to the governor. It's taken me about six months of afternoons to get this far and I still have to decide on a colour, but I thought I would show it now while I have a break. I haven't many pictures but if your interested in this model please ask. Here are some pics of the first one and new one.
Geoff
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 04:40:37 PM by geoff5269 »

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
Re: Lady Stephanie Beam Engine Revisited, building a 2nd one
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 06:22:18 PM »
Very elegant  :cheers:

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 08:36:44 PM »
That's a nice looking engine Geoff :ThumbsUp:       Best Wishes            Terry

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 09:27:43 PM »
The original is really nice looking. The second one carries the looks to a whole new level!  :ThumbsUp:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2019, 12:23:14 AM »
I'd be very pleased with the original. The latest one though, is outstanding. Intricate and elegant - very impressive.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2019, 12:38:20 PM »
Two lovely looking beam engines Geoff, your early one is just fine as it is, and the second is quite a spectacular model .  Dave

Offline kvom

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2019, 12:45:28 PM »
That's a big step up in detailing; beautiful engine.   :ThumbsUp:

The steam chest cries out for studs and nuts though.   :rant:

Offline geoff5269

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2020, 12:10:58 PM »
I did some painting of the larger parts but soon found it chipping off as I had forgotten to use etching primer, so now I have to strip it of and start again.
So turned my attention to the small stopcock and thought I could use a bought one but found it was much to big. So I followed the planes to make one which is very small. there's a 10BA thread inside a 5BA shaft and a very small gland nut but it did work out after several attempts.
I have also bought a couple of governors from China to see if I can use them or at least the gears.
Geoff

Offline Jim Nic

• Buckingham, UK
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2020, 01:09:47 PM »
Hi Geoff
A very nice looker there.  I like your stop valve, the commercial ones work well in my experience but they don't have the right look about them to my eye so I usually hide them away.
I have one of those Chinese governors on my Overcrank engine and it worked well straight out of the box although I did make a new drive pulley and change the spring to get it to better suit the engine. 
Jim

The person who never made a mistake never made anything.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2020, 02:11:40 PM »
Hi Geoff,  lots of good work there    and ...what is the name for the type of  'parallel' motion you have used ?/ I have seen this on other engines and it looks like a sort of "budget" configuration  to me ??compared to the full Watt type. 

willy

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2020, 05:01:07 PM »
Geoff, I am both IMPRESSED and challenged by that lovely stop valve :praise2:  I will have to make one for my engine before long......not sure that I'm up to it :thinking:      Regards          Terry

Offline geoff5269

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2020, 03:58:40 PM »
Well I finally finished this second model Lady Stephanie the delay has been with the painting which didn't go well to start with and I couldn't settle on a colour. when there are large  areas you really need to spray and I often have trouble with that so in the end I bought paint already mixed for spraying so at least that would be OK.
I substituted the governor for a bought one as I wanted the belt drive to be simpler but I'm not shore it works. I've done a video but not with it running yet as it leaks a lot of air. it's taken about 8 months of afternoons with some breaks, and now I understand it has to be assembled in correct order if your not to be boxed in.
Hope you like it Geoff

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0AU-RcuioU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0AU-RcuioU</a>

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal