Author Topic: Electric Kiln  (Read 7136 times)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Electric Kiln
« on: December 20, 2019, 10:07:12 AM »
As a Xmas pressie I have been given a little Electric Kiln with a usable internal area is 170 by 100 by 150mm  :)

I suspect with only 1 KW of heating elements it could take a while to warm up and the temperature control leaves a bit to be desired. So to up grade it I have ordered from China  ::):

• 0 to 1300 deg C Rex C100 Digial PID Controller Regulator with 240V 40A switching relay.
  • 1250 degree K type thermos couple ( & spare)

I am not sure how useful it is going to be but further progress will be delayed until the control items turn up  :(

Jo
--  --  --  --
P.S. A PID (proportional integral derivative)  controller is a special instrument used in industrial control applications to regulate temperature, flow, pressure, speed and other process variables. It uses a control loop feedback mechanism to control process the variables to provide accurate and stable control  :)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 11:28:57 AM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Electric Kiln
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 10:34:00 AM »
Should be a handy addition, a bit of heat treatment, shrink fitting or warming parts to be bent maybe even a little bit of casting.

What does it toast crumpets like :P

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 01:19:15 PM »
Nice gift.......

I am still on the lookout for one of those myself.

Phil

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 10:12:21 PM »
Those thermos couples will be handy to keep the coffee warm...

>:D

Looks perfect for heat-treating piston rings so I know where to go when I need some! It also looks like you could potentially use it for oven-brazing (well "oven silver-soldering) small parts, which can be a good way of getting very neat, strong joints. And there are times when we could all use a good, strong joint after a hard day in the office.

AS
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2019, 10:23:53 PM »

And there are times when we could all use a good, strong joint after a hard day in the office.

AS

Alan, Alan, Alan!!  Nailed it!!

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2019, 02:07:59 PM »
Jo, have you worked with this make of PID before?  I want to replace mine.  I think I know what to expect with the instructions, so I'm a bit scared of getting one....otoh could it possibly be worse than the old Fuji one it replaces?  The stuff of nightmares!

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2019, 02:27:22 PM »
Its all new to me but my Supplier has the same items for his rather larger Kiln so I am assuming they will work.

The parts are cheap enough on Fleabay but you need to make sure that the controller temperature range matches the thermocouple range otherwise it will not indicate the correct temperature.

I am hoping it will just be a case of connecting it up and off we go  :)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2019, 02:33:29 PM »
That will be a nice addition to the shed Jo. Hope the upgrade goes as easy as expected for you. Keep us posted.

Bill

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2019, 07:00:01 PM »
It looks like one of these enamelling kiln for hobby craft. Certainly a useful item.

You have to be very careful when opening it when hot, as the inside of the door, which must be darn hot, is too easily accessible !

Offline AVTUR

• West of England
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2019, 07:52:38 PM »
Can the kiln be purged with inert or reducing gas? I would love to try silver soldering in a kiln.

AVTUR
There is no such thing as a stupid question.

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2019, 10:50:29 PM »
Some have suggested burning a bit of wood in the oven to remove oxygen, keeping the door closed.

Gerrit
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2019, 11:01:13 PM »
Jo, have you worked with this make of PID before?  I want to replace mine.  I think I know what to expect with the instructions, so I'm a bit scared of getting one....otoh could it possibly be worse than the old Fuji one it replaces?  The stuff of nightmares!
I bought this one for my furnace, it works ok but the settings are not entirely intuitive. Also available via Amazon.ca with faster shipping at similar price. I have several sets of instructions at varying levels of good translation to Canadian.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8JRYhprZzo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8JRYhprZzo</a> shows the process and result. I am not happy with my door design, it will become similar to the one Jo has.

Gerrit

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2019, 11:08:01 PM »

I am not sure how useful it is going to be but further progress will be delayed until the control items turn up  :(

Jo
It is an incredibly useful addition to the shop for making tools (hardening predictably) and heat bluing. Not used mine for casting yet, but Zamak has been acquired and the first piece of 3D PLA printing to make a plaster mold with has been done. Once up to temperature it doesn't even consume much lekkie.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2019, 11:13:21 PM »
I know Keith Rucker has a small furnace that is perfect for heat treat, and it's made by one of his friends in the Youtube community....let me look that up...

Perfect for us engine guys and gals....

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2019, 11:18:52 PM »
Here we go..   found it

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-arlJUuGJBE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-arlJUuGJBE</a>

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal