Author Topic: Throttle governed engine  (Read 13981 times)

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
Re: Throttle governed engine
« Reply #120 on: February 12, 2020, 10:55:00 PM »
I'm very happy to see you're sticking with this Brian, no doubt in my mind that you'll get  it all worked out.

Excellent work as always,

Watching & learning,

John

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #121 on: February 13, 2020, 12:13:03 AM »
Thanks John. I spent the afternoon making the main bases of the rocker arm support brackets. Tomorrow I will have to build a welding jig to hold all of the vertical legs of the brackets in the correct place before silver soldering the brackets together.

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #122 on: February 13, 2020, 12:52:57 AM »
Besides being impressed with the engineering, machining and stick-to-itness in this thread, I also enjoy the pictures taken of components and assemblies with books.

Going to rip that idea off as a presentation method.

Cheers, great work all round as usual. Glad to see you staying the course.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #123 on: February 13, 2020, 02:09:36 AM »
Thanks Stuart. --It's good to be making parts. I can only fart around trying to make these things run right for a limited time. This throttle governed engine is one of those situations where my experience says it should work, the theory and physics say it should work, and all of the components have been built on other engines and they did work. Before I can make the "throttle governed" part work, I have to get the basic engine to work right.  This makes me a little crazy, because when I originally built this two cylinder engine, it did work just fine. :pinkelephant: :pinkelephant:

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #124 on: February 13, 2020, 07:12:06 AM »
Brian, you may want to look at Pete's 4cylinder "Puma" version and how he dealt with the oil issue which is mostly what is thrown up from the crankcase not what is in the fuel

Offline awake

« Reply #125 on: February 13, 2020, 03:01:17 PM »
Thanks Stuart. --It's good to be making parts. I can only fart around trying to make these things run right for a limited time. This throttle governed engine is one of those situations where my experience says it should work, the theory and physics say it should work, and all of the components have been built on other engines and they did work. Before I can make the "throttle governed" part work, I have to get the basic engine to work right.  This makes me a little crazy, because when I originally built this two cylinder engine, it did work just fine. :pinkelephant: :pinkelephant:

This is why this hobby is so fun, right? Right? As a newbie, I need some reassurance here - this *is* fun, right??

No, I'm not serious - I have experienced the hair-tearing frustration of something that refuses to work for no good reason ... and the bliss of discovery, achievement, and victory when finally getting the #%$! thing to work.
Andy

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #126 on: February 13, 2020, 05:28:05 PM »
Just had a very valvey morning. I leave the long end unturned to act as a handle while I am lapping them. Then I drill the cross holes,then I part off the handles.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #127 on: February 14, 2020, 04:44:39 PM »
So, the valves, valve cages and valve spring retainers are finished. The valves have been lapped with #320 then #400, then #600 lapping paste and have been match marked to their specific place in the heads so that I don't mix them up. I'm coming down to the exciting strokes now. I will first design and build a fixture to hold all of the parts of the rocker arm bracket in the correct relationship and silver solder it together.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #128 on: February 14, 2020, 05:15:59 PM »
This should make a good welding fixture to hold all of the rocker arm bracket parts in the correct relationship for silver soldering.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #129 on: February 14, 2020, 05:47:20 PM »
I am getting worried about your books Brian you seem to be getting oil and dirt all over them  :disappointed:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #130 on: February 14, 2020, 08:24:15 PM »
Don't worry Jo, all the books are bought and paid for. I end up with so much junk piled up on my side table that I need to use a book to give a somewhat clean background for the picture I'm taking. That particular book was given to me by the engineering head of Volkswagen Canada about 30 years ago.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #131 on: February 15, 2020, 03:59:58 AM »
Brian,
I guess I have been in my own little world as I see I have been out of touch for a bit. I remember when I first got my Upshur engine running, but it wasn't right so I called my dad knowing if I described how it ran he'd know what was wrong. And just as quick as you can snap your fingers he says timing's advanced to much retard it. It was off three teeth. Now I know enough to set the timing with an indicator on the rockers. So what am I doing that's distracting me from the important things in life, I am rebuilding that same engine. Drawing stuff up in CAD that I didn't have when I originally built it. That and life is getting in the way, work has been very busy and this is the slow time of the year. It is good to see you are working through the problems that are confronting you on your twin. I think you will have an even better design than the original, and it will have no problem running your saw rig.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #132 on: February 15, 2020, 12:39:05 PM »
Hi Art--Nice to hear from you. I'm plucking away at this thing just to have a way to get thru the winter. The existing cylinder heads are fine except for placing the sparkplugs in the worst possible position for oil fouling. Now this really matters on an engine with horizontal cylinders. However, for a vertical cylindered engine they would be perfect. I am making all new parts for the new cylinder heads, not robbing any of the old parts. ---I see a 3 or 4 cylindered motor in the future using these two existing cylinder heads.---Brian

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #133 on: February 15, 2020, 08:09:01 PM »
This picture shows the finished welding fixture.  (Remember, it doesn't have to be pretty, just functional). The brass pieces which will be silver soldered together are bolted into place and are ready for soldering. If I have lived right, the fully soldered assembly will be easily removed form the welding fixture, and the pieces for the second brass rocker bracket will fit into it for soldering.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #134 on: February 15, 2020, 08:46:09 PM »
First soldered assembly removed form welding fixture and ready for cleanup. The fixture survived just fine, and tomorrow I will make the same soldered assembly for the second cylinder.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal