Author Topic: Westbury's prototype for his Heinrici engine  (Read 12353 times)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Westbury's prototype for his Heinrici engine
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2019, 05:30:08 PM »
Graham is the supplier of the set of casting fondling observation stool casting sets  ::) I am waiting for him to phone me about them...

If you read the original article by Westbury he suggests casting his model engine parts in aluminium.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2019, 06:22:53 PM »
Thanks for the call Graham  :)

Graham has confirmed that he has the patterns/rights for Surus' new acquisition. The original patterns were done by a Stirling engine enthusiast "Andy Spooner". The castings are probably about 30 years old but by the colour of them we are not sure if they have been appropriately aged  ::)

Jo

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2019, 07:19:46 PM »
You're welcome Jo.   :)

Those with a keen eye might have noticed the uncanny resemblance to R.L.E. flywheels!!

I was going to bring this kit out a couple of years after the Robinson but other things got in the way. Andy made a set of replacement flywheel patterns that were correct to that model, being slightly smaller in diameter and having a more flattened spoke.

The best part was the base. A lovely replication of the original Heinrici design complete with chimney stub.
At the time it was one of the most expensive castings being made, in Iron, of course. A special moulding box was needed to make it.

When I get a moment I'll root out the patterns Jo, perhaps we could sort out a couple of cast Iron wheels for you?

Cheers Graham.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2019, 07:05:40 AM »
Thanks for filling in the details of where the castings originate from Graham. Would be interesting to see the base moulding boxes, I suspect they are similar to the RMC type D that I recently got with the possible addition of a loose piece for the chimney stub.

Would be nice to try and replicate that base for the smaller Westbury engine though anything will be nicer than what it has at the moment

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2019, 11:09:34 AM »
Good morning Jason.

I think you misunderstood my previous post a little. The pattern is, as is. It needed 3 boxes.

The " Drag " or bottom box to stand the " core " on and then a double " Cope " for the pattern to be moulded in sand. The middle  Cope was specially made to the same height as the pattern then the top cope covered and provided closure.

The base is quite tall so there was a lot of labour involved in moulding. The pattern also doubled as the
" corebox " a neatly made plywood skin allowed the inside to be filled with core sand which provided the detail of the four arches. The chimney boss was indeed a " loose piece " that was " fished out " after the main pattern was removed from the sand.

I agree with your last sentence, if Jo made a pattern I'd be happy to cast it here.

Cheers Graham.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2019, 01:59:19 PM »
Not quite the same methods I was thinking as you have used a core, the Type E is done without a core with one half of the moulding box having a deep recess for the external and the other the protruding internal shape.

Agree a cast base for the Westbury would look good, I assume you are doing the aluminium casting yourself.

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2019, 02:56:57 PM »
Indeed, Jason.

I still have just under a Ton of " milled " Mansfield Red sand here. It might be the very last !!

It's milled with a small proportion of Bentonite for extra " hold " but no Coaldust. We found that for doing Aluminium the Coaldust caused staining to the finished castings.

I'd be very happy to fire up the furnace for such a " special " job, ETW holds a special place in model engineering circles it would be nice to be involved.

Cheers Graham.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2019, 04:12:03 PM »
I've been hacksawing, holes sawing, tapping, screwing and smoothing out an embryo stand. More work still  to go...

Jo

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2019, 04:15:13 PM »
That looks so much better!
Maybe you should  ask Santa for a vertical band saw for Christmas. ;D

Dave

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2019, 04:31:57 PM »
Indeed it does look a lot better.

Knowing that you do have a vertical bandsaw I wonder why you used the hacksaw?

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2019, 04:37:26 PM »
Because there is a huge heap of Oak logs in front of it which are inside hiding from the rain and I decided it would take less time to hand cut it than move the logs ::)

Jo

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2019, 04:59:51 PM »
That looks a much neater base  :praise2: Indeed sometimes using the hand tools is quicker than sorting out/setting up the power tools  :)
Best regards

Roger

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2019, 05:15:32 PM »
That looks very nice Jo.

Just the minor repair to the " hot " end and the man will skip again!    ;)
Eagerly awaiting the moment.

Cheers Graham.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2019, 05:43:42 PM »
It is not finished yet  ::)

Jo

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2019, 03:08:28 PM »
Today I received the drawings for the "stool" I now realise that those castings that turned up the other day may not be what I was told  :ShakeHead:

It seems that Mr Westbury published two sets of Heinrici drawings one back in the 1940's which was lacking a few details which is reflected in the Reeves castings and in the Plans service drawings and the second which was published in 1964/65. Both the prototype and the set of castings  ::) are of the later design with the multi part cylinder that also allows the engine to be build as an air cooled version. The non crank  flywheel should have an integral pulley  :thinking:

Jo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal