Author Topic: Westbury's prototype for his Heinrici engine  (Read 12351 times)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Westbury's prototype for his Heinrici engine
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2019, 09:52:45 AM »
Well if Eric won't let you do anything with it try and track down as set of these.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/stirling-hot-air-fountain-engine-534162365

I think this is the same one that Littlelocos bought the patterns for from paul Jacob's estate but as yet not back in production. There was talk of just doing the engine separately rather than the whole fountain.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2019, 10:16:40 AM »
I am not sure about wanting an indoor fountain.

The engine is back together. It has a very interesting baffle plate in that tatty looking stand. Just trying it with one flywheel on a tea light  :)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2019, 01:20:01 PM »
Really does not look like many castings used in it, flywheel and the two A frame supports, flywheel(s) could be bought in or fabricated and A frames easy enough to make. Is the finned part cast? that could easily be turned from solid.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2019, 01:59:24 PM »
Ok after a few hours you can see that when the engine gets warm the hot cap is leaking and blowing the candle flame (sorry about the horrible noise  from the radio  :Doh: ) :

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVxwGOmpNhE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVxwGOmpNhE</a>

I feel that seeking to replace the hot cap with a solid one is going to be deemed as rather more than maintaining the "original patina" so I will have to build a copy myself to prove the design will work  :embarassed:

Jo

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2019, 04:06:15 PM »
Hi Jo.

Is it not something that a dab of hard solder will fix?

Cheers Graham.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2019, 04:11:09 PM »
It is but it is a question of if I do will the engine will not be original? I am waiting to ask the custodian of the engine.

Jo

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2019, 04:32:39 PM »
Hi Andy.

I hadn't seen your post from yesterday, or the video. Very nice indeed.

I'm intrigued by the partial view of an air cooled horizontal engine, a Planck per chance?

We used to see one rallied regularly in the 80's. The feature that most " stuck out " was the use of an air filter housing from an old Ford being used as the heater shroud and chimney. It almost looked right, if you know what I mean?

Cheers Graham.

Online Chipmaster

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2019, 05:39:56 PM »
Hi Graham, it was a partial view of a 1907 Bing Hot Air engine that was on loan to me at the time, sorry to disappoint. I'll add a couple of pictures of it and a picture of a water cooled Plank that was on eBay a few years ago. I haven't seen a picture of the air cooled version.

Merry Christmas
Andy

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2019, 01:59:23 PM »
The latest on this engine is that the previous Custodian and I have agreed that while the workmanship of the Engine suggests that Westbury may have made this engine the base makes its originality suspect. I now find myself the new owner of this engine and have been told I can do what I like with it  :)   :thinking:

In the meantime someone has been attacking delivery drivers again  :ShakeHead: And I had a challenge extracting him from the parcel and he is now trying to convince me he has brought a casting fondling observation stool but it reminds me of something :noidea:

Jo

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2019, 03:10:05 PM »
The latest on this engine is that the previous Custodian and I have agreed that while the workmanship of the Engine suggests that Westbury may have made this engine the base makes its originality suspect. I now find myself the new owner of this engine and have been told I can do what I like with it  :)   :thinking:

Jo

I am very surprised that Eric was prepared to break up his Westbury collection, he had gathered together most of the great man's collection. You must have caught Eric at a weak moment.

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2019, 04:07:16 PM »
Yes he "had" all of Westbury's engines. Westbury's daughter gave them to him with the instruction to keep what he wanted and to pass the remainder on to the SMEE. It took a few years before the SMEE saw any of them as he was checking them out.. I think one of the members had to encourage him to pass them on in the end ::)

I think that horrible Aluminium stand is going to have to go  :facepalm2:

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2019, 04:35:46 PM »
In the condition it is in at them moment if Eric had given it to SMEE it would no doubt have been consigned to a dark corner never to come out again, at least if it is presentable and hopefully running there is the hope that it can attend a show or two and be seen by many. The original parts can be kept with the engine if need be then it could always be put back to present condition if someone wanted.

So who's set of castings are those Jo, I did not think the reeves one was Aluminium or have they been cast from other parts being aluminium? Also what size?

J

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2019, 04:47:59 PM »

In the meantime someone has been attacking delivery drivers again  :ShakeHead: And I had a challenge extracting him from the parcel and he is now trying to convince me he has brought a casting fondling observation stool but it reminds me of something :noidea:

Jo

Hi Jo.

Those castings are VERY familiar!!

Cheers Graham.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2019, 04:55:07 PM »
So who's set of castings are those Jo, I did not think the reeves one was Aluminium or have they been cast from other parts being aluminium? Also what size?

Those are Surus' castings and I have been told that I am not allowed to touch them again until Wednesday  :embarassed:

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2019, 05:05:08 PM »
I meant who produced then not who the new owner is as that's obvious, just need to hope he lets you machine them for him ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal