Author Topic: Noughty Surus Engine  (Read 3277 times)

Offline john mills

Re: Noughty Surus Engine
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2020, 09:32:03 AM »
The metric ruler is readable but that imperial side is difficult to make any sense .i am happy to work in imperial inches or metric or mixture of both.I have spent the last 50years in industry working in both.
   John

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2020, 02:10:21 PM »
The metric ruler is readable but that imperial side is difficult to make any sense .i am happy to work in imperial inches or metric or mixture of both.I have spent the last 50years in industry working in both.
   John

John.......that is a "special" ruler made like that for "metricists" to use in pictures to reinforce their disdain for the Imperial System.  :thinking: :lolb:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2020, 02:33:18 PM »
John.......that is a "special" ruler made like that for "metricists" to use in pictures to reinforce their disdain for the Imperial System.  :thinking: :lolb:

No that is this one, which shows you need four scales (the 64th bit is out of the photograph further along  :facepalm: ) to do what metric does with only one, notice which one is at the top for drawing straight lines with  ::)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2020, 02:59:47 PM »
I have a few engineers steel rules with half mm increments not those silly plastic things with 1/10th centimetre markings :LittleDevil:.

Back to the engine if it were intended to be a workshop engine then there would be little need for it to have reverse, large flywheel supports that thought as if meant for say a boat it would more than likely have had a solid flywheel rather than that large diameter spoked one.

You could make it up as something like an organ engine, again no need for reverse and about the right sort of size for a small one, my 2/3rd scale Tidman one is 540mm tall.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2020, 04:18:48 PM »
It is proving very useful for measuring these Victorian castings.

I am tending towards a non reversing engine as I have done lots of reversers  :facepalm2:

Jo

Offline john mills

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2020, 05:49:51 AM »
No5 stuarts are fine looking engines and mine runs well on steam that set of castings will make a good engine too.
It is a lot more powerful than the 5s.I have a similar size engine 3" bore but 2 1/2stroke double size of KN harris
launch engine in his book  .they are good size engines.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2020, 09:46:13 AM »
I had forgotten about that engine, thanks John  :)

Having captured the general shape of the castings to an accuracy of whole millimetres  :) Puttting them together started to show some potential pitfalls which might account for this engine being Orphaned.

So time for a bit of pre-drawing casting fondling to see what we have got: If I put some screws to secure the standard to the bottom cylinder cover it is clear that the two standards are too narrow for the Base. (the Two sides of the standards have not been machined and have a draft angle on them which means it is difficult to square things up using them.

The one thing that should be square is the inside edge of the guide so by putting some parallels in there at 45mm spacing things at the top can be checked. The two standards are still a little short of the sides of the bottom cover so it would seem appropriate to increase the distance between the standards may be to 50.8mm   :thinking:

And so the pre-drawing fondling begins, lots of variables to check once the constraints are known then the actual drawing can commence.

Jo

Offline john mills

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2020, 10:53:02 AM »
looks like some dinner adjust meant to be worked out ,could some of those machined faceless need remachining
makes a job like this interesting.Will be watching to see what you do.
the engine i built the drawings were drawn by someone how did not seam to know what they were drawing
they were doubled up from a smaller size.blatent mistakes were also doubled in size then vital basic details
were missed or changed so it could not have been put together.

John

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2020, 12:34:18 PM »
Please excuse my ignorance, but is this an engine that would of been used in real life for something or is it just a really big model?  :thinking: Also, any guesses how old these castings might be?  :old:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2020, 01:08:45 PM »
I think I would be inclinded to try and keep the standards as you have them in the last photo as it would be easy to add some metal to the inside of the sole plate provided you have sufficient room for the crank and big end to rotate.

Something does not look right on your drawing, the standards stick out beyond the cylinder but are overhanging the inside of the standard, photos suggest it should be one or the other.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2020, 01:43:20 PM »
Please excuse my ignorance, but is this an engine that would of been used in real life for something or is it just a really big model?  :thinking: Also, any guesses how old these castings might be?  :old:

We are guessing they are a set of Victorian Workshop Steam engine castings and they would date from somewhere between the 1890's to pre WWI so at least 100 years old.

Something does not look right on your drawing, the standards stick out beyond the cylinder but are overhanging the inside of the standard, photos suggest it should be one or the other.

Yes I know It was a quick throw together to see if there was anything I should be looking further into... Like the feet on the standard being a bit narrow for the base  ::) I am currently planning on bunging up the existing threaded holes so that the parts can fit together better.

But this is all after the gardening  :cartwheel:

Jo

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2020, 02:23:45 PM »
That engine would be big enough to power the wheelbarrow for your garden....   :noidea:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal