Author Topic: Hello from Siberia (Minnesota)  (Read 1362 times)

Offline Archimedes

Hello from Siberia (Minnesota)
« on: December 16, 2019, 01:43:03 AM »
Hi everyone!  :)

I was brought to this site by Youtube. I was lurking here for a while and decided to introduce myself. I love engines of all types, but I particularly love working miniature engines. Unfortunately, for me, I can never build one myself due to a disability.  At least, I am happy that I am able to do 3D modeling and CAD work.  I want to design my own 12 cylinder boxer engine sometime in the future.  By the way, If anyone wants any help turning something into a 3D file, please let me know.

I have been a "gearhead" for as long as I can remember. I'm not really surprised, since my father was a certified mechanic for more than 40 years. I studied electrical engineering and computer science but would I go into mechanical engineering if I ever went back to school. I don't relish the idea of doing that at the age of 48 :old:. I don’t really need a ME degree anyway. I’m looking forward to learning as much as I can from this site and the community of model engine enthusiasts. Thanks!   :cheers:

Offline steam guy willy

Re: Hello from Siberia (Minnesota)
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 02:00:24 AM »
Hi, Archimedes, welcome to the site and there is lots to look at here..  perhaps you could get lots of CNC equipment so you only have to press buttons to make stuff.. looking forward to further posts..

Willy.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 07:26:38 AM »
 :hi:

At least, I am happy that I am able to do 3D modeling and CAD work.  I want to design my own 12 cylinder boxer engine sometime in the future. 

8) Virtual model engine making counts as making model engines. We would like to see any of your "builds" so far :)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 01:52:12 PM »
Hi and welcome to MEM. Glad to have you join us!!

Bill

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 03:13:34 PM »
Welcome.
I have found memories of 3 months in Roseville, Mn in early 1975. Coldest time of my life, and I live in southern Ontario :-)

3D modelling skills are a great precursor to machining. Even if you n ever do get to build the design, it is there 'running' for you to enjoy. At least you won't be tempted to short cut the design work to get cutting metal :-)

I am a big fan of Ferrari boxer engines. I worked part time in a Ferrari restoration shop after retiring, I was told to get out of the house at least 4 days a week. Learned to appreciate fine engines there. Their owners manuals have some very good detail engine drawings in them and are available as pdf's. Let me know if you need any.

gerrit
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2019, 06:39:54 PM »
I live in Minnesota as well. Welcome!

I would love to see your engine 3D models. I use solidworks every day in my job, so I'm always interested to see other 3D models. Software modelling is its own beastie, with its own requirements and challenges.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2019, 07:43:43 PM »
Welcome to the Forum  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:
Best regards

Roger

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2019, 11:37:38 PM »
Welcome, Archimedes !
Kim

Offline TerryWerm

• Jordan, MN - 6147 nice folks and one grouch!
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2019, 01:12:00 AM »
Welcome aboard, Archimedes, from yet another Minnesotan.

What's this Siberia crap?  It hasn't even gotten COLD yet.    :stickpoke:

Okay, okay, I'll admit it. I like the cold a little less each year, but I have to work in it all the time so I always manage to get used to it again each and every year. I'll still take summer any day.
----------------------------
Terry
Making chips when I can!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal