Author Topic: Swarf, more swarf and faster milling with the up graded CNC mill  (Read 1408 times)

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
Swarf, more swarf and faster milling with the up graded CNC mill
« on: December 13, 2019, 09:14:42 AM »
After getting more revs, enough and constant air supply and some lubrication/cooling, it was time to give it a try.

[youtube1]https://youtu.be/z2yWl8MxC3k[/youtube1]

I am very happy with the result so far.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 09:25:41 AM by fumopuc »
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
Re: Swarf, more swarf and faster milling with the up graded CNC mill
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 12:01:01 PM »
Hello fumopuc,

I like your improvements to the Proxxon CNC mill. High speed milling is very different to standard milling. The first thing you notice (after the speed of movement) is the difference in the swarf; you no longer produce chips, instead you produce large quantities of fine needles.

Do you have any form of cabinet to contain the flying swarf needles? With the air mister working, the swarf needles can blow all over the workshop, You may need a simple cover to protect the computer keyboard and mouse from the fine needles.

I found setting the air pressure/ flow to be a compromise. My mister worked better with higher pressure whereas the swaf needles could be cleared at a much lower pressure/flow. The higher pressure air would blow the swarf further across the workshop. I made a second delivery tube mounting on the spindle to direct the air blast downwards to help clear the needles from deep holes. I use a short length of nylon air line as the delivery tube. The delivery tube and the cutter will inevitably come together from time to time, a flexible nylon delivery tube survives better than a rigidly mounted  metal one.

What fluid are you using in the mister? animal, vegetable or mineral?

I hope you can find the time to make good use of the 'new' machine. What do you intend to build next?

Cheers  :cheers:

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline kvom

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 12:25:44 PM »
I added a similar spindle to my mill, although with a bracket to allow removal as opposed to replacing the main spindle.  Mine is a German device that requires 220V, hence a bulky power supply box.  It has a number of collets, but they're all metric.  One of them works with 1/8" tools, so that's what I use with it.  Thus far it's mainly been used for engraving.  I use air blast to clear chips.

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 12:34:07 PM »
Hi Mike,
you are absolutely right, that is another world of milling.
And yes, it seems, that I do have another milling machine now.
The fluid I have used is this https://www.jokisch-fluids.com/products/metalworking-oils/microlubrication/mks-30/
On the site you will find the data and safety sheets in English.
The fluid Fenella seems to be very dangerous and I am living in very small shop.
May be I will try a water solvable product also in the near future.
The Monos Miko S3G is a bit oily and prevents the chips by flying so far.
This Jokisch stuff seems to be a good compromise.
My "cabin" is already under construction.
The desk, Monitor, Mouse and keyboard are already protected by a Plexiglas screen.
The front side is "under development", currently a thin MDF plate for experiments, may be later replaced by another Plexiglas screen.

What to build next, more part for the Bruce Macbeth engine. 
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 08:40:10 PM by fumopuc »
Kind Regards
Achim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal