Author Topic: 1/4 Scale Cosworth DFV Engine  (Read 11985 times)

Offline JonC

Re: 1/4 Scale Cosworth DFV Engine
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2020, 05:08:13 PM »
Thanks both for the information. I thought I would try the mould with some silicone that we use at work to measure unobtainable features. I re-printed the base of the mould with two 7mm holes to fit the nozzle on the gun. Unfortunately there was nothing like the volume I needed to fill the mould even with two cartridges but I am pleased with the result.
There is leakage around the joints of the mould creating flash and that is with the silicon with a viscosity of something like engine oil, so I think this will be worse when I use wax. I'm sure this can be easily removed but it may be worth trying to seal the joints in order to keep this to a minimum.
I'm also wondering if it would be better to include the inlet and exhaust ports in the mould? I was thinking that the valve detail in the head would be produced in the form of a cartridge of all four valves set into the head and this would therefore have some of the port detail on it and be easier to produce rather than machining on the head itself.
any thoughts would be appreciated
Anyway, wax next and then hopefully casting one to prove out the theory and check the shrinkage

Jon
It's not what you know, it's not who you know.
It's what you know about who you know

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2020, 12:35:34 PM »
Just came across this via Hackaday, seems like a potential good way to smooth prints: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3666116

Gerrit
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2020, 01:13:50 PM »
Hi Gerritv,

Do you think this polisher would be useful for finishing small metal parts as well as PLA?

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2020, 01:35:18 PM »
Certainly, it is the same principle. I just thought it interesting as applied to PLA.

There are other tumbler builds shown on YouTube among other places.

Gerrit

Offline JonC

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2020, 04:46:03 PM »
Thanks Gerrit, don't know why I haven't thought of this before. Tumbling is a great way to polish and smooth metal components so why not printed PLA with the right media?
I once visited a manufacturer of high end bicycle parts and they machined small four pot brake calipers from aluminium and then tumbled them in nut shells. The finish was unbelievable.
I think I'll investigate this because if the trial on casting the head works I've got the block (6 separate parts), cam carrier, cam cover, gear covers and crank case to do.

Jon

Offline JonC

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2020, 07:20:13 PM »
just thought I would show the nose cone and front wheel rim I printed a while ago for the Tyrrell 003 that inspired me to produce the DFV.

The car and Jackie Stewart hold a special memory for me as a young boy with my dad who alas died when I was 13  :(

Offline JonC

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2020, 07:24:01 PM »
for some reason the pictures always turn through 90 so trying again.

Offline JonC

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2020, 07:29:50 PM »
Trying again

Offline awake

« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2020, 07:39:41 PM »
Jon,

The problem with the rotation of pictures has to do with the way the data is "physically" (well, really electronically) stored. In any digital camera, the pixels are always stored in the same layout, regardless of camera orientation. For example, let's say the "normal" orientation for a camera is "landscape." The pixels are stored in a landscape orientation, one row after another. When the camera is rotated to "portrait" orientation, the pictures is *still* stored in landscape orientation - but it is marked with "metadata" that indicates that the pixels should be re-arranged to portrait orientation when shown. That works great, most of the time - the camera or computer re-orients the pixels according to the metadata without the user ever knowing it.

Unfortunately, when a picture is uploaded to certain sites - including many types of forum software - the metadata gets stripped out. As a result, the picture is shown based on the "physical" layout of the pixels, whether that is correct or not.

The solution is to run a program that rearranges the pixels to the correct orientation and stores them that way "physically" (electronically). This can be done manually with a photo-shop type program, but it is a pain. For my own use, I long ago wrote a small program that lets me re-orient and optionally re-size pictures for use in email and forums on a bulk basis - very quick and convenient.

I downloaded your picture, ran it through the program, and am uploading it again - voila!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 07:46:22 PM by awake »
Andy

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2020, 07:51:17 PM »
The DFV is certainly one of the better looking engines in F1. I built a model of Tyrrell P34, and then a friend gave me this coverall badge which was given to him by Jackie Stewart at one of the GP's at Mosport in Ontario in the 1970's. The cars from then are much more interesting than the crop from last 10-15 years.

Gerrit

Offline JonC

« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2020, 08:12:14 PM »
Awake,
That's a great explanation of why I'm struggling, thank you. I thought that saving to file and then rotating and saving in an image viewing file would sort it but I see why not now.
I assume that now I should just take pictures in landscape mode only?

Gerrit, yes those were the real days of innovation and shear bravery. The badge is iconic and even more special being given from the man himself.

Jon

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2020, 08:19:13 PM »

Gerrit, yes those were the real days of innovation and shear bravery. The badge is iconic and even more special being given from the man himself.

Jon

Yes.    Those were the days when sex was safer but motor racing was bloody dangerous

Sadly, never to return

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline JonC

« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2020, 09:30:09 PM »
 :Lol:

True, and you could have a quick cigarette before climbing aboard.

jon

Offline awake

« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2020, 06:16:29 AM »
Awake,
That's a great explanation of why I'm struggling, thank you. I thought that saving to file and then rotating and saving in an image viewing file would sort it but I see why not now.
I assume that now I should just take pictures in landscape mode only?

Glad it helped! Right, an image viewing file "rotates" the picture only by changing the metadata, not the actual organization of the pixels.

Certainly one option is only to take pictures in the native orientation of the device. Alternately, if you want, I'd be happy to send you the program that I've been using for years - contact me via private message. I would have uploaded it as an attachment to this post, but unfortunately, the zip file of the program is just a bit too large for the maximum size allowed for uploading to this forum.
Andy

Offline JonC

« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2020, 10:24:24 AM »
Thanks Andy,

I'll try the landscape option and see how it goes. Otherwise I'll be in touch via PM.

Jon

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal