Author Topic: Workshop heating  (Read 8097 times)

Offline RayW

Re: Workshop heating
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2019, 10:48:52 AM »
Thanks again to all for your responses. I have taken Tangler's advice and purchased a Meaco DD8L Junior dessicant dehumidifier which sounds ideal for the job as it is designed to work effectively at lower temperatures.
I think I will still protect the vulnerable engine parts with the Renaissance wax anyway.
Ray

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2019, 10:58:14 AM »
I'll be interested to know how it gets on. I have an early electric dehumidifier and at low temperatures it ices up  >:( 30 years on it still does a good job removing the moisture from the air

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline RayW

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2019, 11:20:13 AM »
I'll let you know how it goes Jo. Being a dessicant type, icing up is not a problem. Once I have it set up and running, I will machine a couple of test pieces of scrap cast iron and see whether they rust or not.
Ray

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2019, 02:06:52 PM »
Here's a sketch of a direct vent gas heater. ( this one is part of a hot water heater, but you get the idea)   As the combustion chamber does not communicate with the air in the room directly, its a VERY dry solution to heating in a shop.   Internal to the heater is an air to air heat ex changer and a circulation fan controlled by a thermostat.    The one in my shop is 120,000 btu....so good size.

As a result, I have NO condensation issues in my shop...If anything....it gets very dry in the winter

Dave

"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline RayW

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2019, 03:19:43 PM »
Very nice Dave, but I would have two problems with that system:
1) There is no gas supply to my house/workshop
2) Anything much bigger than the relatively small dehumidifier that I have bought would require me to build an extension to my very crowded little workshop!
Ray

Offline GWRdriver

• Tennessee USA
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2019, 08:08:49 PM »
I live in the mid-South where humidity levels can often be 90%+ in Summer.  While my workshop is insulated and roughly as air-tight as the house, it isn't heated and I run an old dehumidifier intermittently in warm weather (it won't dehumidify in Winter.)
After all the usual and obvious protective measures (sprays, etc), I have found the most effective rust deterrent has always been to keep the air moving . . . using (as mentioned in an earlier post) a cheap box fan running constantly.  I set up mine so as to create a path of circulation around the perimeter walls and all machine tools are in the path of the circulation..  This also means keeping things uncovered, or at least not covered in such a way as to prevent the complete circulation of air over exposed metal surface.  Plastic coverings aren't good, for the reasons stated in another post.
Cheers,
Harry

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2019, 08:28:50 PM »
2) Anything much bigger than the relatively small dehumidifier that I have bought would require me to build an extension to my very crowded little workshop!

Hello Ray,

This is a very small footprint balanced flue gas heater, which can run off LPG.  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Baxi-Brazilia-F5-Balance-flue-Gas-Wall-Heater-LPG-optional-extra-1yr-Warranty/162735917127?hash=item25e3d10847:m:mrAUaxU0IJEWwH6-zaRKSdQ

Could you fit something like this to an outside wall of your workshop? You would need to extend the balanced flue pipe through the wall to vent on the outside.

I have been considering fitting one to my workshop.

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2019, 12:15:15 AM »

You could.go propane or oil, and as the heater is only a bay wide and next to the garage rolling door and mounted to the wall.  It really doesnt hurt my footprint.  Its probably near 8 feet tall but its 18 inches off the floor to meet code tobe able to park a car in the garage.
Damned ijjit!

Offline RayW

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2019, 03:40:00 PM »
I am pleased to report that the dehumidifier appears to be working well and the bare metal test items are showing no signs of rust or condensation so far. I was amazed initially at how much water was being extracted over the first few days, but this has now decreased significantly as the humidity level has come down.

Ray

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2019, 07:38:53 PM »
Great to hear that you had success with your approach to solve the problem  :whoohoo:

As some of those dehumidifiers use quite a bit of power - I can't help thinking that you might be able to run it on a timer now that you had the humidity lowered quite a bit ...  :thinking:    :old:

Per

Offline RayW

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2019, 08:39:17 PM »
Hi Per,
The dehumidifier automatically shuts off once the desired humidity level has been reached, then runs for a short time to sample the air every 30 minutes. If humidity level is still OK, it shuts down again and repeats every 30 minutes. If humidity has increased, it runs until desired level is reached, then goes back into the 30 minute sampling cycle.
Ray

Offline michelko

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2019, 05:27:14 AM »
Hi,
A very cheap heating solution is an diesel heater for cars or campers.
Bought one of that chinese made for 120 euros.
It has 8 kw heat. It just need a little hole for the exhaust and a 12 volt supply.
Works great at my 30m2 workshop.

Michael

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2019, 10:34:39 AM »
Hello Michael

Your diesel heater for the workshop sounds very interesting, please can you tell me more about your installation. It sounds like it may be just what I am looking for.

Obviously you need an exhaust system to remove the fumes to a safe position outside the workshop. This implies a fixed installation. So where is the best place to mount the heater; at floor level, or on the wall or as high as possible?

8 kw sounds like plenty of heat for a 30m2 workshop, so the workshop should heat up quickly.  Is the heater thermostatically controlled or do you simply switch it on or off manually to control the temperature? Can you run the heater continuously day and night at low power, or only when you are using the workshop?

How do you distribute the hot air? Is there a blast of hot air from the heater or is the hot air evenly distributed throughout the workshop?

Finally do you have a photo of your installation

Mike

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2019, 01:23:33 PM »
Hello Michael

Your diesel heater for the workshop sounds very interesting, please can you tell me more about your installation. It sounds like it may be just what I am looking for.

Obviously you need an exhaust system to remove the fumes to a safe position outside the workshop. This implies a fixed installation. So where is the best place to mount the heater; at floor level, or on the wall or as high as possible?

8 kw sounds like plenty of heat for a 30m2 workshop, so the workshop should heat up quickly.  Is the heater thermostatically controlled or do you simply switch it on or off manually to control the temperature? Can you run the heater continuously day and night at low power, or only when you are using the workshop?

How do you distribute the hot air? Is there a blast of hot air from the heater or is the hot air evenly distributed throughout the workshop?

Finally do you have a photo of your installation

Mike

I think you and I are talking the same kind of heater Mike.  They work great!....

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2019, 07:48:47 PM »
Hello again Michael,

I have a few more questions about these diesel air heaters, hopefully you can give some advice.

These diesel air heaters are intended to heat trucks and camper vans, which all have 12 volt power from a big battery with an engine driven alternator. How do you power the heater in a workshop environment?

Can you give an estimate for the total amount of current required to drive the air fans, the oil pump, ignition and the controller? Is it best to use a battery and trickle charger, or can you run the heater off a 12 volt 'wall wart' or does it need a bigger 12 volt power supply. What would be best for a permanent installation?

Thanks

Mike

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal