Author Topic: Scale Model Locomotive  (Read 1079 times)

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
Scale Model Locomotive
« on: December 02, 2019, 08:14:15 PM »
Hello everyone,

Any body here on the Forum (the US) that is currently involved with the hobby of Scale Model Locomotive, not scratch built but ready to run units. I am most interested in the "G" and "O" scale size and would like to know what company or companies built the best units and any other helpful information.

Thanks and have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline AOG

Re: Scale Model Locomotive
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 02:26:19 AM »
I do O gauge but I tend to go more to the tinplate/ semi-scale because of space constraints. In o gauge you can’t go wrong with Lionel or MTH scale locos.

Tony

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 08:57:21 AM »
I do O gauge but I tend to go more to the tinplate/ semi-scale because of space constraints. In o gauge you can’t go wrong with Lionel or MTH scale locos.

Tony

Hello Tony,

Thanks for the reply and I appreciate your help. I will do more research on the MTH brand, I am familiar with Lionel. Can you explain tinplate/ semi-scale a bit more.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline AOG

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 12:43:54 PM »

Can you explain tinplate/ semi-scale a bit more.

Tinplate represents the Lionel products of the 20-30s. They are made from folded sheet metal. The originals are outrageously expensive but there are modern reproductions that are quite nice. Scale o gage engines are huge. The usually require 72-120 inch radius tracks. Semi-scale engines are selectively compressed to allow them to go around the tighter bends of traditional o gauge track.

Tony
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 12:49:00 PM by AOG »

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 01:46:54 PM »

Can you explain tinplate/ semi-scale a bit more.

Tinplate represents the Lionel products of the 20-30s. They are made from folded sheet metal. The originals are outrageously expensive but there are modern reproductions that are quite nice. Scale o gage engines are huge. The usually require 72-120 inch radius tracks. Semi-scale engines are selectively compressed to allow them to go around the tighter bends of traditional o gauge track.

Tony

Hello Tony,

OK, that I understand as I get more into this hobby. I am overwhelmed by the shear number of Locos available now and by all the modern complexes of the operating systems. I have watched a lot of videos reviewing the Lionel and MTH Locos and they do seem to be "top of the line". Thanks for steering me more towards the "O" scale, it seems to be the "Goldilocks" scale.

Thanks again and have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal