Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 957 times)

Offline Miraine

Hello!
« on: November 28, 2019, 02:28:26 PM »
Hi, I'm Miraine.

I'm a serial supporter-of-other-people's-projects, which is rewarding in its own way, but discussion with a friend recently highlighted that I really do need to do my own thing from time to time.  Cue some pondering as to exactly what "my own thing" actually is.

Anyway, thanks to some nostalgia from childhood trips to steam railways and fairs, and a general desire to hone my workshop skills (I'll need to gain some before I hone them, though), I've decided that thing is to build a steam engine.

I've absolutely no idea what type yet, and found this site whilst looking for ideas for the boiler, since that seemed a reasonable start point.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 02:32:55 PM »
:hi: Miraine,

I would suggest you start with trying to make a simple steam engine rather than the boiler. You can always run a steam engine on compressed air so don't actually need a boiler. The size of boiler will depend on the steam engine you want it to run and the type of boiler on where/how you wish to use the model engine.

Jo

Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 02:48:46 PM »
Hi and welcome Miraine. Hope you will find lots of inspiration here. Help and guidance is always available too, just for the asking.

Bill

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2019, 03:13:56 PM »
Two places to help you decide on a project...

This one has casting kits, which are not recommened for a novice because it's easier to recover from mistakes with bar stock engines...

https://www.pmmodelengines.com/product-category/steam/steam-engines/

and here is a source of all bar stock engines that have been traditional starters for novices for many years...

http://www.john-tom.com/html/ElmersEngines.html

Good luck with your start in the hobby; we hope you find it as enjoyable as we do.

Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2019, 04:30:15 PM »
Hi Miraine,
Welcome to the forum!  I think you'll find this a very fun, rewarding hobby with many things to learn.
I'm enjoying it thoroughly!
Kim

Offline TerryWerm

• Jordan, MN - 6147 nice folks and one grouch!
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2019, 04:49:03 PM »
Welcome aboard Miraine.  You did not indicate whether or not you have any machine tools as yet, which are something of a prerequisite for building model steam engines. However, if you do not have any such equipment, there are engines that can be built without a lathe or mill. Just ask and we can steer you in the right direction.
----------------------------
Terry
Making chips when I can!

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2019, 05:16:27 PM »
Welcome to the Forum  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:
Best regards

Roger

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal