Author Topic: candelabra, spinster, updates, and whatever else I think of  (Read 3260 times)

Offline kvom

Re: candelabra, spinster, updates, and whatever else I think of
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2019, 01:08:19 PM »
Glad to see you back at it.  Just had some surgery myself so sympathies there.   :old:

FWIW, candelabras have more than one light.  That's a candlestick. 

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2019, 01:31:34 PM »
Spinning Wheel---

I seem to remember that Popular Science or Popular Mechanics ran a story on how to build and operate a Spinning Wheel somewhere in the 1960s or early 1970s. All of those old issues are online. I just mention that as maybe that lead goes nowhere or is not what you wanted. Anyway, I seem to remember that.......

I designed a brass flywheel that used segments in order to make it affordable, but I haven't made it yet. I think it should be workable.

--ShopShoe

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2019, 10:52:33 PM »
Thanks guys.

FWIW, candelabras have more than one light.  That's a candlestick. 

:facepalm:

Home from a trip back home.  ;D Went down to Missouri to help my sister empty our parents' home. They've moved into a retirement facility.
Brought back loads of memorabilia and genealogy information.
I'm fortunate that I still have my folks and they are doing well enough that I can expect to enjoy them for some years to come.
Dad turns 93 this month and Mom is 91.

I've just about finished drawing the prototype spinning wheel.
Then I'll start on drawing a 1/3 scale model. However, I intend to modify it extensively so it appears more '19th century industrial engine'.
I'll post pictures once I have that. Might be a little while. Holidays are here and surgery on my shoulder is coming up.

The attached picture is where I'm at with the prototype drawing. I probably won't go much further.
It's missing one pedal, the bobbin, and the screw that adjusts the maiden for tension.
Part of the reason I won't finish it is because the Pittman Rods (?) connect to the pedals with a flexible tube and I have no clue how to draw that up.

As for the 1/3 scale model...

Imagine railings around the base that supports the flywheel.
Imagine the legs are more like a slanted plate with inner portions cut out.
Imagine steps leading from the bottom to the base and more steps leading from the base to the maiden.
Imagine some small scale people working on the machine.
Imagine oil cups on the posts holding the flywheel.
That kind of thing.
I also hope to set it on a box with a motor inside connected to a pedal from underneath. It should then be able to drive the system.
I hope.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2019, 12:32:50 AM »
Glad your trip went well, and you made sure to get the geneology papers, that can be irreplaceable if lost!

The spinning wheel project is looking good, I like the steampunk-style version with the little workers - maybe thats how Isambard Brunel wove his anchor cables!

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2019, 01:35:08 AM »
Glad to hear from you Zee, and best wishes with all recovery. The candelabras look great!
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2019, 03:27:35 AM »
Zee,
Good to see you back at it. How big a piece of brass are you talking about for the spinning wheel?
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2019, 09:59:36 PM »
Thanks guys.
I've started drawing the model but it will be very slow going since it's more design (change) than scaling the prototype.
There's some features of Cubify Design I have to learn (or get better at). Namely placing new axes and planes at various angles.
I don't expect to start machining until Spring.

How big a piece of brass are you talking about for the spinning wheel?

The prototype is 18" diameter and 1" width.
I'm trying to scale to 1/3.
So the flywheel should be 6" diameter by .333". I suspect I'll use .375". Neither dimension being critical...it's about looks.

I can't scale everything by 1/3. For example, the prototype crank is 3/8 rod. Scaling to 1/8 seems a bit small.

I've been trying to catch up with everyone but not saying much. What could I add? But there's certainly a lot of interesting and excellent work going on.
"To work. To work."

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2019, 10:45:31 PM »
Slow going. Holidays, providing daycare for new grandson, etc. etc.
Here's a couple of 'very' in-progress drawings.
Hopefully they give a flavor of what I was talking about earlier...or as Chris put it...'steam-punk-ish'.
Proportions on several parts are wrong and many things to work out but it hopefully gives you an idea of where I'm going.
Changing the scale is difficult. The flywheel is 6" diameter and I don't want to go larger. Making it smaller is obviously an issue too.

Any suggestions, ideas, positive criticisms are most welcome.

There's a number of difficulties...

1) I want oil cups and I'm hoping a 1/4" diameter glass is do-able. Not shown are oilers (amongst many other parts) on the bearings holding the spinner.
2) The base for the spinner has to be able to move up. The prototype used a hinge which I don't want. The distance needed is very small. Enough to provide tension on the string (not shown) while allowing the string to be removed from the whorl and bobbin. This is currently the most difficult problem.
3) The spinner posts are interesting. The front one has to tilt up and down. The right one has to have a slot so the flyer can lift up. But I'm thinking on an alternative. I expect many changes.

Once I have the parts properly drawn up I'll start a thread.
I suspect it won't be until March before I begin machining. (Shoulder surgery in January, recovery in February, and another trip home to visit the folks.)
"To work. To work."

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2019, 10:55:13 PM »
I like it, the conrods to the treadle are a neat touch.

Small diameter glass tube is readily available from boiler sight glasses. Easy to cut to length by scoring with a file.

For adjusting the height, how about a threaded rod under the platform, raise with a nut.

Looking forward to seeing you start on making chips!

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2019, 11:31:47 PM »
Thanks Chris.

For adjusting the height, how about a threaded rod under the platform, raise with a nut.

That's along the lines I'm thinking but I'm thinking it requires at least two screws.
I've also considered a scissors kind of operation. A couple of guys (elves) turning a wheel that lifts the whole thing up.
Maybe have the screws connected by chain so turning one turns the other.
We'll see.
"To work. To work."

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2019, 08:29:05 PM »
Attached is an image of (what I believe is called) the maiden.
On the left are two spools (simulating those large spools of wire the utilities use) which will feed thread into the left end of the flyer, through that hole you see in the flyer's rod, to an eyelet and then the bobbin.

The flyer assembly tilts up (as shown) so the whorl can be removed and then the bobbin replaced.

Because it tilts up, the rightmost post has a half-bearing. Note that the oil cup is off to the side.
The flyer won't jump out because once the string/rope to the flywheel is installed then the bobbin and whorl are held down.

Much more work to do. A few dimensions are off and obviously the base needs work.

I'm interested in any comments or suggestions; particularly regarding the right-most post with the half-bearing.

On the prototype, the base is hinged in back to the top of a block that sits on some supports.
The purpose is to apply tension against the ropes by rotating the base.
I had hoped to avoid that and instead have the base raise straight up. But the distance involved is small.
I had hoped to avoid that and have the

There may be some concern about the whorl interfering with the right-most post as the flyer is rotated up.
A very small distance from the whorl to the right-most post is needed and shouldn't be a visual issue.
"To work. To work."

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2019, 02:43:04 PM »
Somewhat finished the model.
Animation of the pedals, crank, flywheel, and pittman rods works.

A few tweaks are still needed...
1) I'm not sure whether the stairs will be included. They're certainly not done.
2) If the flyer is lifted, it conflicts with the two feeder spools. Not a biggie. A stop might work.
EDIT: 3) I'm not sure about the railings either.
EDIT: 4) Would like to add some details to some parts like flutes(?) on the legs.

Still need to figure out how to put tension on the ropes that go between the flywheel and the bobbin and whorl.
Original model had the maiden hinged to a block that sat on top of the maiden posts. I didn't like that.
I thought about making it so the maiden would rise off that block but the distance needed is very small and I didn't like the look.
Another method I'm thinking about is an adjustable roller attached to the maiden. The downside may be additional load.

A few HO scale figures may add to the display.

Another thing to figure out is that I want the model on top of a box that houses a motor that will run the pedals.

But this is enough for now. In a few months I'll start a build thread and start machining.
In the meantime I need to re-arrange the shop and get past the shoulder surgery.

The model is intended as a gift to my daughter who enjoys spinning.

As a side note. I realized the original spinster model (which didn't work), didn't have a hope of working.
It turned out another link between the pedals and the pittman rods was needed.
"To work. To work."

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2019, 02:47:19 PM »
These are fun models mr. Zee, what software are you using? You probably already said, but I haven't been active for a while and I'm catching up.

Hope you are doing well. I understand you have surgery coming up. All the very best with that.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2019, 03:56:50 PM »
Looks great, looking forward to seeing the build.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2019, 04:52:47 PM »
Damn Zee miss this look like some awesome rendering bud. You plan on building another?

Don

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal